Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For lack of a better descriptor, I'm referring to how far I have to depress my brake pedal to engage the brakes.

Today I installed new Akabono brake pads, rotors, and two new calipers on the front of my '05. I did a full brake system bleed job. They work great but I wish I didn't have to press them down so far in order for them to engage. Is there an adjuster that I can tweak in order to reduce the free play I currently have in the system? I much prefer the brake feel of my wife's rogue. It seems to grab the brakes in an inch or 2. On the frontier its more like 3-4".

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Many folk have commented on their brakes feeling different following brake work. When you bled them, did you use a vacuum ( like MityVac) or a powerbleeder (like Motive Power Bleeder) or old fashioned 2-man 'stomp on the pedal and have other guy crack the nipple' ?

Was the truck on/running or off when you bled the brakes? Did you flush the lines clear?

The ABS brick can be fussy if you let any air into it. If you continue to have issues, I'd bleed it a bit more & maybe see if anyone near you has a power bleeder and run a good quart through it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it the old fashion way like I always do. I don't have a vac or bleeder pump. I run enough fluid through until I get clear fluid coming out.

Truth is the brakes have always had too much play in them for my tastes. Even from day one. While the new brakes feel nice and smooth I was just hoping there might be some type of adjuster that would decrease the amount of free play prior to engaging the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Most people feel like the 2005 and later Nissan trucks, including the Pathfinders and Xterras, have brakes that could be a bit better. They stop, but sometimes you really have to bury the pedal to the floor during a panic stop. Ironically, a lot of the brakes on the Hardbodies and 1st gen Frontiers had a tendency to be a bit on the over-sensitive side. The next time I do brakes on my 06 Pathy, I'm going to install brake calipers w/ mounts, pads and rotors from the V8 Pathy. They're a little bit bigger, use the same bracket mount holes in the knuckle and use the same hoses and master cylinder. Still have some time to go until my current front pads wear out, though.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Most people feel like the 2005 and later Nissan trucks, including the Pathfinders and Xterras, have brakes that could be a bit better. They stop, but sometimes you really have to bury the pedal to the floor during a panic stop. Ironically, a lot of the brakes on the Hardbodies and 1st gen Frontiers had a tendency to be a bit on the over-sensitive side. The next time I do brakes on my 06 Pathy, I'm going to install brake calipers w/ mounts, pads and rotors from the V8 Pathy. They're a little bit bigger, use the same bracket mount holes in the knuckle and use the same hoses and master cylinder. Still have some time to go until my current front pads wear out, though.
Is it correct to say that the calipers/mounts/rotors are the same between the Pathy, xTerra, Frontier? It looks that way to me from what I found on parts cross-references with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My truck has always had a lot of play the brake pedal before grabbing. I really notice it after driving my fiances rx350 (or any other car for that matter). I remember several car reviews that mentioned the sponginess as well.

It's just something unfortunately I think you'll just have to live with. I haven't heard of any solution to the problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
My truck has always had a lot of play the brake pedal before grabbing. I really notice it after driving my fiances rx350 (or any other car for that matter). I remember several car reviews that mentioned the sponginess as well.

It's just something unfortunately I think you'll just have to live with. I haven't heard of any solution to the problem.
The V6 models are all the same at the front brakes for the 2005-and-newer Frontiers & Xterras, 2009-2012 Suzuki Equators and 2005-2012 Pathfinders, which have 11.65-inch diameter rotors. The 2008-2012 Pathfinder V8 models had 12.6-inch diameter rotors. They all share the same front brakes hoses and steer knuckles. The 12.6-inch rotors require the larger caliper mounts, calipers and pads from the V8 Pathy. I can't guarantee the brakes will be better as I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good on paper! I'll probably end up doing it next summer.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
The V6 models are all the same at the front brakes for the 2005-and-newer Frontiers & Xterras, 2009-2012 Suzuki Equators and 2005-2012 Pathfinders, which have 11.65-inch diameter rotors. The 2008-2012 Pathfinder V8 models had 12.6-inch diameter rotors. They all share the same front brakes hoses and steer knuckles. The 12.6-inch rotors require the larger caliper mounts, calipers and pads from the V8 Pathy. I can't guarantee the brakes will be better as I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good on paper! I'll probably end up doing it next summer.
Whelp! guess I'll have to check how much clearance the stock rotor has with the 16" rim... I definitely like the idea of a cheap big brake kit....

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Whelp! guess I'll have to check how much clearance the stock rotor has with the 16" rim... I definitely like the idea of a cheap big brake kit....
I don't know if they'll work on 16's; I have 17" wheels. Stillen has a larger, big brake kit, but it's $2000...a bit too much for my wallet!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I don't know if they'll work on 16's; I have 17" wheels. Stillen has a larger, big brake kit, but it's $2000...a bit too much for my wallet!
ya, no. $2k is way too much for a brake kit. Brakes do well enough as-is, but a little more reserve is always nice. Just measured fit/space and stock rotors have a good 1 - 1 1/2 inch clearance with a 16 inch rim. I know what this winter's upgrade fun will be!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts