Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new 2011, I noticed when I hit the brakes, the reverse lights go on. I think it might have to do with the wiring harness, but have not dug into yet. Has anyone seen this issue? I asked the dealer I just bought the truck from and said for xxx dollars, they could figure it out even though IMO, they sold me a dangerous non-functioning vehicle that yes, I should have seen before I bought it.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I asked the dealer I just bought the truck from and said for xxx dollars, they could figure it out even though IMO, they sold me a dangerous non-functioning vehicle
Sucks from dealer, but not overly surprised.

On my new 2011, I noticed when I hit the brakes, the reverse lights go on.
Provide more information: when you turn on ignition and put into reverse, do the reverse lights go on? the brake lights? or nothing? This could be an easy fix.

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
What do you mean by "my new 2011"... or do you mean the "new to me" thing?

Anyhow, it's easy to pull the taillamps and bulb sockets to troubleshoot this, just two bolts per side when you lower the tailgate. Try it with the lights off, with the lights on, with the shifter in Reverse, etc. and get back to us with more info.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
2,159 Posts
What do you mean by "my new 2011"... or do you mean the "new to me" thing?

Anyhow, it's easy to pull the taillamps and bulb sockets to troubleshoot this, just two bolts per side when you lower the tailgate. Try it with the lights off, with the lights on, with the shifter in Reverse, etc. and get back to us with more info.
A few years ago I bought my 2004 brand new used secondhand.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Remember, no "used vehicles" these days. "Pre-owned" is the terms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay, but here is what I found regarding when this happens
With no lights on
In Reverse
With lights on.
Have not had time to tear into the bulbs with our snowstorms and work.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Focus on your trailer lights, and aftermarket camera wiring if any.
Also understand it may be intentionally jumped somewhere, if the prior owner was having trouble with backup lights and pulled a BillyBob hack to get backups.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugh, I wish I would have caught this when I looked at it, as I feel the dealer should have seen this fixed it before selling me an unsafe vehicle. No aftermarket camera, so I am hoping it is an easy issue with the tow lights.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Just for chits and giggles, go on yelp and tell everyone the name and address of the dealer and the problems he refuses to fix. And send the dealer a link just so he doesn't miss it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Go try swapping your relay for one of the others

1 - 12 of 12 Posts