Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone it seems i am leaking brake fluid some where, where i am not sure yet, but will check the fluid bottle and brakes etc, but when i get around to getting it fixed any advice on anything i should know?

·
Registered
939 Posts
mine was leaking at the passenger side caliper drum. it's all but certainly near the master cylinder, abs module, or one of the wheel cylinders

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine was leaking at the passenger side caliper drum. it's all but certainly near the master cylinder, abs module, or one of the wheel cylinders
when i was at my uncles changing oil and replacing the power steering pressure hose (which is still leaking grrrr) we checked all 4 wheels and none were leaking, but i am either leaking brake fluid or using alot a good amount of it for some reason as about once a month i am having to add fluid

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Or at caliper, or at rear of the master cylinder (into the booster area) or one of the flexible brake lines has a crack/leak.

And not a bad idea to pull the front tires and rear drums to take a good look there, and also assess the remaining lifetime of the pads or shoes.

Obviously after the leak is found and repaired, the system must be bled of air completely, typically at all four wheels. I always use any such hydraulic repair as an opportunity to flush out all the old brake fluid so only new is present.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or at caliper, or at rear of the master cylinder (into the booster area) or one of the flexible brake lines has a crack/leak.

And not a bad idea to pull the front tires and rear drums to take a good look there, and also assess the remaining lifetime of the pads or shoes.

Obviously after the leak is found and repaired, the system must be bled of air completely, typically at all four wheels. I always use any such hydraulic repair as an opportunity to flush out all the old brake fluid so only new is present.
i know there is not a leak in the front as i replaced the front rotors and pads a couple of months back and my uncle checked the rear wheels a few weeks back and didnt find any leaks, where is the master cylinder located?

edit never mind i found the master cylinder, but there is no leaks there either

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
Did you unbolt the master cylinder from the booster and pull it out so you can see the end of it where the pushrod installs? That's where the seal is that would leak, if it is indeed leaking. Also, follow the lines along the frame rails all the way to the back and look for rusted lines that are wet with brake fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts