Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
any special bleeding requierments because of the ABS? isn't there an acumulator valve that contains a good amoutn of fluid?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread but I read it for instructions on bleeding my 2013 Pro-4x.

I bled them myself without any tools, just set the hose and bottle higher than the bleeder so the air bubbles flowed up. Disconnected the negative battery terminal. Pump the pedal a few times, walk over add some fresh to the reservoir and pump a few more times. Even before I started pumping, when I loosened the bleeders the fluid was coming out and going straight up the hose so there was no possibility of getting bubbles back into the brakes. Eventually after pumping for awhile you start to see the clear fresh fluid on the bottom of the bottle where the hose is resting and the dark, dirty stuff at the top. (Plenty of YouTube videos for one person bleeding, have done it several times on other vehicles without any issues).
Used the entire 32 oz of Prestone DOT 4.
I have driven it a few times and they feel great. I have also driven it down dirt roads and hit the brakes hard and abs kicks in.
My only question is will DOT 4 fluid cause me any issues that I have not experienced yet? will the ABS work less well?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My 1998 (250K) and my 2004 Frontier (103K) still run their original brake fluid. When/if I have to replace a hydraulic component, then I will flush the system.

Reactions: TeknoRacer

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I use DOT 5.1 in mine, which is DOT 3 and DOT 4 compatible, unlike DOT 5 which should NOT be used. Always follow the bleeding procedure in the factory service manual. Bleeding procedure for D40's, R51's and WD40's is right-rear, left-front, left-rear, right front. I use a vacuum brake bleeder.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I use DOT 5.1 in mine, which is DOT 3 and DOT 4 compatible, unlike DOT 5 which should NOT be used. Always follow the bleeding procedure in the factory service manual. Bleeding procedure for D40's, R51's and WD40's is right-rear, left-front, left-rear, right front. I use a vacuum brake bleeder.
This is the way I do it as well. But, being in a perpetually damp climate I change fluid every time I change pads (in cars/trucks) For motorcycles, every 18 months depending on amount of use.

Reactions: TeknoRacer
21 - 27 of 27 Posts