Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Brake fluid change

42K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 ·
I've read the maintenance manual and searched this forum. I've not been able to find anything about how often the brake fluid should be changed. It's not even listed as one of the fluids to be changed at 30/60/90K intervals; it just says to inspect the level. Any advice on mileage/frequency for brake fluid change?

#2 ·
just changed mine at 180 000 KM. Unless your pedal feels mushy or youve got sludge in the reservoir you can probably get away without changing it

#3 ·
I'd recommend every 30/60/90 or 2yrs, whichever is first.

If you are a DIY person, get the Motive Power Bleeder and the job is simple. You don't even need to lift the truck (lifting make it easier but I have done it without).

The issue is that the fluid does not circulate like the motor oil or trans fluid so the fluid in the resivour may look alright but the fluid at the caliper is going to be burnt. The fluid is designed for a certain peak temp and etc.... but what they don't show you are the tables in which the fluid is kept at a certain temp, the lift expentency, ie. an oil life monitor.

#4 ·
If you have access to a vacuum pump (manual or automated), bleeding the brakes can be easier than changing the oil--usually 15-20 min. Put a hose on the bleeder valve, turn on the vacuum, open the bleeder valve to bleed the old brake fluid, then close the bleeder valve. Repeat for each wheel. I'm surprised it isn't more of a required maintenance item. I always bleed my brakes when the brake fluid gets dark (usually 20k-30k miles). Have always noticed a distinct improvement in brake feel with every vehicle I've performed this on. Also, brake fluid absorbs a lot of moisture (and air) which degrades (i.e., rusts) your entire braking system from the inside out--master cylinder, calipers, and lines. Just like changing the oil in your engine, flushing your brake fluid provides big rewards for the long-haul. It's interesting how brakes are more safety related than any other item on your vehicle, but usually receives the least amount of preventative maintenance :(
See above :)

#5 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Theoretically since it is a sealed unit (hydraulics) it wouldn't need to be changed, BUT---brake fluid (DOT 3/4, etc.) is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts moisture and also only has a boiling point (differs by mfr) so if it gets too hot, it will break down and as mentioned, that would be closest to the calipers (mainly front), since there is a lot of heat generated from the rotors and it has to go somewhere, even though the pads act as sort of a buffer. Even so, I'm sure there is a shelf life to it even in a 'sealed' (unless there was no outside influence on it and was in a vacuum or something) system...

I can't think of anytime I've really ever 'changed' my fluid though, unless I was replacing the calipers or something where I had to open the system.

ALWAYS use fresh brake fluid that is newly opened, as it will collect moisture in the bottle, once opened and they recommend always using the same container it came in...I've kept synthetic DOT 4 in its original container but added a plastic 'sealer' to the lid and it seemed to be OK, but it's not my preference and I used it for the clutch; if I were doing a brake fluid change, I would only use a new bottle...don't like taking chances with brakes to save a couple bucks!

I had a cool spreadsheet on different brake fluid mfrs and the differences between them...I'll see if I can find it, as it's a good reference and comparison...Some of them get extremely expensive though and IMO unless you're running a track car, may be overkill.

Personally, I'd suggest using a synthetic DOT4, good 'name brand', like valvoline or something...DO NOT use a DOT 5 (silicone) as it will not mix with 3/4 and create a sludge. Not to be confused with 5.1...On its own, DOT 5 is cool stuff though, cause it will not eat the paint and has a slightly higher boiling point (apples to apples) but on a 'used' brake system, you have to really purge all the old stuff out and that's hard.

EDIT - this isn't the one I had, but is helpful:

Attachments

#11 ·
brake fluid (DOT 3/4, etc.) is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts moisture and also only has a boiling point (differs by mfr) so if it gets too hot, it will break down
When brake fluid boils (changes from a fluid into a gas), it is no longer incompressible - which means that your brake pedal gets spongy, and eventually sinks to the floor whenever you push it.

Result: Sudden, unexpected loss of brakes.

Often, this happens when you need your brakes the most - on long downgrades, towing a heavy trailer, etc.

The less water there is in your brake fluid, the higher its boiling point is. That's why occasionally replacing it is a good idea.

#8 ·
Thanks all. I'm going to go with every 30K. It is a little surprising that Nissan has no rec for changing the brake fluid. Even BMW (who now considers radiator and trans fluid "lifetime fill") still suggests changing brake fluid every 2 years due to it's ability to attract water.

#10 ·
Well, well! I have never flushed my fluid with over 7 years service 🤣. The maintenance manual does say every 24 months.

I am going up there soon to get her fresh fluids.

You would have thought that when I asked the garage last December if it needed any fluids, belts or hoses to be replaced that they would have suggested brake fluid flush. Hopefully they tested the fluid and it was with in specs.

#15 ·
I'm in Arizona, so take that into consideration.

The brake fluid on my '98 Frontier (257K) has NEVER been changed. Mine still has factory calipers, hoses, rear brake cylinders, master cylinder, booster (as well as factory rotors and drums). When I someday need to replace one of its hydraulic components, then I will do a complete flush as part of the job. I have replaced the clutch master cylinder and clutch slave myself (felt a little funny when I pressed), so that has been flushed.

The brake fluid on my 2004 Frontier (106K) has NEVER been changed. Mine still has factory calipers, hoses, rear brake cylinders, master cylinder, booster (as well as factory rotors and drums). When I someday need to replace one of its hydraulic components, then I will do a complete flush as part of the job.

On the other hand, my 1988 Mazda truck has needed quite a few brake hydraulic and clutch hydraulics changed (and its systems flushed) in the 27 hears I've had that.

#18 ·
The brake fluid on my '98 Frontier has NEVER been changed. When I someday need to replace one of its hydraulic components, then I will do a complete flush as part of the job.
The brake fluid on my 2004 Frontier has NEVER been changed. When I someday need to replace one of its hydraulic components, then I will do a complete flush as part of the job.
If the fluid comes out black, that's rust, so be sure to replace all of the metal brake lines too.
They rust from the inside out. That's why the fluid gets changed periodically.
Never changing brake fluid is not something to brag about. You can kill someone.

#17 ·
I remember on one of my motorcycles the fluid absorbed enough moisture that the caliper was holding the rotor in place, I removed some fluid, it corrected that so I then replaced the fluid. That was when I realized how much moisture in the environment can get into the sealed system of a vehicle.
For reference, I live in New Jersey and it gets very humid here in the summer.

Clint

#20 ·
Got ‘er done this morning! Brake pedal stayed the same feel which I kinda wanted it to feel a little firmer.
Cost out the door was $103. Took around 15 minutes start to finish once it was pulled in.

Reactions: Zero Six LE
#22 ·
One of the reasons manufacturers are recommending brake fluid servicing is not so much about the possibility of moisture in the fluid, but the possibility of copper in the fluid from the ABS actuator, something cars didn't have back in the good ol' days. They even sell copper test strips so you can check your brake fluid for copper. IIRC, Nissan states change the brake fluid every 15,000 miles on my 06 Pathy, which I think is a bit of overkill! When I did my front brake upgrade to V8 Pathy parts, I flushed the whole system and replaced it with Wagner DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

#24 ·
My 06 Pathfinder manual states every 15,000, which seems like overkill to me! I could see every 30,000, maybe.

#25 ·
I change brake fluid in my cars every two years, It took a while, but I finally learned that not changing it leads to stuck calipers. I replaced calipers on a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1991 Mazda Miata, and my 2014 Frontier before I learned. Have had no issues with my 2011 Mazda MX5 as I have changed fluid every two years in that.

#28 ·
Copper accelerates corrosion in iron components of the brake system and copper can plate to components of the ABS system and affect their operation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.