Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Frontier that I installed the Nissan 4pin trailer harness into for lights on a smaller trailer(came with some relays that were installed up in behind passenger kick plate.

My towing needs have since changed since I bought a 3600LB camper and now need a brake controller. Action truck parts has a Curt controller with a Nissan wiring harness that I can buy and install. I have also bought a 7way female plug and installed on the bumper which had the 4pin connector on it to mate up the the 4pin harness I installed so I do have functioning lights on the 7way.

Now my problem is where do I hook the brake power wires on the 7way plug? I am assuming the second factory plug on the frame where I plugged the 4pin connector is for the brakes, will these wires become energized after installing the controller w/Nissan harness under the dash and just a matter of tapping into? Or is there other relays that should be installed up under the dash? I found what I think is the brake controller plug hanging of the odb2 harness but none of the wires in the plug look to me like they are heavy enough to send power to elec brakes. Should I be looking at a kit that has the wires and run them back myself?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
You will use the second plug on the frame. However, you will need the extra relays that go under the passenger side kick panel for the 7 pin harness if you don't already have those. If you purchase the OEM 7 pin harness kit from Courtesy Parts it will come with everything to make the whole thing plug and play as it comes with the all the relays.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will I be basically ripping out the 4pin Nissan kit that I just bought not too long ago and replacing it with something new, or will it remain and I will just be adding something along side it? I just hate the thought of wasting the $80 I just spent if I am ripping it out and chucking it aside. Thanks HitechRednec for the quick reply!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I believe the 4 pin kit might have one of the relays the 7 pin kit uses but I don't know for sure. I just went with the 7 pin kit from the start and use an adapter for a 4 pin. If you're going to do it right I would completely remove the 4 pin kit and sell it on here or ebay.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The relay kit should be the same for both 4pin and 7pin operation. You just need to replace the 4 pin plug and cable (that plugs in at the back of the truck) with the 7 pin version.

I just carry a 7pin to 4pin adapter in the truck if I am pulling a 4 pin trailer. You could go ahead and run wire to support both connectors, but it is an awful lot of effort for something that is basically plug-and-play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The relay kit should be the same for both 4pin and 7pin operation. You just need to replace the 4 pin plug and cable (that plugs in at the back of the truck) with the 7 pin version.

I just carry a 7pin to 4pin adapter in the truck if I am pulling a 4 pin trailer. You could go ahead and run wire to support both connectors, but it is an awful lot of effort for something that is basically plug-and-play.
I am pretty sure you are right, when you compare the 2 kits side by side, the only difference I see is the harness at the back of the truck. Since I have an aftermarket 7way plug purchased I will just cut the factory plug and then solder/shrink wrap the wires, now to track down a wiring diagram to see what is what. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts