Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just (2 days ago) bought a 02 crew cab and the passenger side brake light and the reverse lights do not work. Im assuming it's the bulbs but i cannot figure out how to get to them. Can anyone help? what should i do if it isn't the bulb?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Blakeoe said:
I just (2 days ago) bought a 02 crew cab and the passenger side brake light and the reverse lights do not work. Im assuming it's the bulbs but i cannot figure out how to get to them. Can anyone help? what should i do if it isn't the bulb?
I'm pretty sure you need to open the tail gate to get to the screws that hold the light assembly in for the reverse and brake lights...

If it's not the bulbs, which I'd doubt, it could be the socket or the wiring to the socket...Unless the wires got cut somewhere in between the front of the truck and the tail, it should be a quick fix.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It's not the fuse because the backup lights are on a circuit that makes the truck start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
figured out how to take the tail light off. It's not the bulbs. I did notice when i push the shifter all the way back when it's in reverse they come on. if you hold it all the way back pretty hard they come on but as soon as you let them go it turns off. Is there a switch or something that may be bad?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Blakeoe said:
figured out how to take the tail light off. It's not the bulbs. I did notice when i push the shifter all the way back when it's in reverse they come on. if you hold it all the way back pretty hard they come on but as soon as you let them go it turns off. Is there a switch or something that may be bad?
Ouch...that's not good...sorry I can't help more...guess it's not a quick fix...Still something that might be fixable without taking it in, but I dunno...a little beyond me now...good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Blakeoe said:
If you are not pushing hard on the shifter does the other reverse light work? For me two things come to mind. It might be a grounding problem, so the socket may be getting it's ground from the reverse switch. Or if you crawl under the transmission, can you see any wires around the shifter area, that the shifter might be hitting? I'm no expert, but those are the two things I'd check.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
both lights only come on when the shifter is pushed back hard. A friend said he thinks it may be some sort of sensor that screws into the tranny. I dunno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts