Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the brake abs vdc off and slip lights all came on again for no apparent reason, brake fluid level full, clean battery terminals, all fluid levels topped off, reset the ecu, still nothing. This has happened about 6months ago and I tried everything then after about three days they went off and stayed off. Happened a year before that also when I had new tires installed, that was the first time they went on. Tire place denies having done anything to cause that even tho it never happened till then. Has ANYONE else had this issue and had it fixed? Also keep in mind my airbag clock spring is faulty and needs replaced. As someone has said the steering angle sensor can also cause those lights to all come on. Any advice guys? It’s a 2011 frontier

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Are your ABS wheel speed sensors clean and in serviceable condition? Are they lined up with the tone rings on the hubs? To me it sounds like getting the tires replaced may have either jostled loose sensors or is otherwise causing the signal from them to be intermittent.

An intermittent or no signal from the wheel speed sensors can trigger all those faults you described. The wheel speed information is used for the ABS brake system, traction control system, and stability control system.

To my knowledge, the airbag clock spring only affects the supplemental restraint system (SRS), so it'll trigger an SRS fault and nothing else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thabks
Are your ABS wheel speed sensors clean and in serviceable condition? Are they lined up with the tone rings on the hubs? To me it sounds like getting the tires replaced may have either jostled loose sensors or is otherwise causing the signal from them to be intermittent.

An intermittent or no signal from the wheel speed sensors can trigger all those faults you described. The wheel speed information is used for the ABS brake system, traction control system, and stability control system.

To my knowledge, the airbag clock spring only affects the supplemental restraint system (SRS), so it'll trigger an SRS fault and nothing else.
for the reply buddy, I have not even looked at the speed sensors. I only have an idea of where they're located, somewheres on the brake caliper correct? I'm not exactly sure how to check them without taking the wheel and brake assembly off. There are zero drivability issues with the truck it's so bizarre.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I only have an idea of where they're located, somewheres on the brake caliper correct? I'm not exactly sure how to check them without taking the wheel and brake assembly off. There are zero drivability issues with the truck it's so bizarre.
They are on the spindles if I recall. I think you could get to them with the brakes still installed, but it's a lot easier without the brake caliper, caliper mounting bracket, and rotor.

Having ABS, TCS, and ESC disabled won't cause drivability problems under normal driving conditions. ABS only takes effect under severe or hard braking. TCS takes effect when, well, a loss of traction situation is determined.

Reactions: Crich772

·
Registered
672 Posts
We had a Frontier with same issues it ended up being the ABS Actuator in this case. But we also had 2 Xterra's with same issue and customers just ended selling the vehicles since the Actuators are on back order. i think there was another member here with the same issues a few weeks back?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a Frontier with same issues it ended up being the ABS Actuator in this case. But we also had 2 Xterra's with same issue and customers just ended selling the vehicles since the Actuators are on back order. i think there was another member here with the same issues a few weeks back?
What diagnosis was done to find out in your case was the actuator? Only asking because I know it could be a number of things, if only the computer could tell you exactly what it is and not just what it's related to

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What gets me is how it goes off magically by itself. Leaving me wondering was it something I did to stop it i.e resetting the ecu and such enough times lol I have no idea

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Communication Device Gadget Publication Font Multimedia
Gadget Audio equipment Font Display device Electronic device
Vehicle Audio equipment Gadget Entertainment Font
Shelf Bookcase Shelving Publication Communication Device
Communication Device Publication Gadget Font Electronic device
Gadget Computer Font Personal computer Display device
Gadget Audio equipment Font Display device Electronic device

Sorry for some reason it out them in twice, however this is what I got while the lights are on, then they'll shut off after like a week or so, I don't understand, no drivability issues btw

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Drive it into the lake and collect insurance...Done! J/K

That's a LOT of codes! Sorry not more help, but looks like you got your hands full.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well now I'm seeing that a wheel out of alignment could cause the abs codes to go, and I know my clock spring is bad so that explains the steering sensor and such. There's ZERO drivability issues. And these codes cept for the maf and airbag code will clear by themselves in a day or so. Maybe alligngment issue maybe just a short.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Where did you see wheel alignment caused abs codes ?? When you say the codes clear in a week, do you mean the code will not come up on a scanner in a week or the check eng light goes out after a week. These are two different things as the check eng light shutting off is normal, the code clearing from the ecm is not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an xterra with these same lights on, after cleaning and eventually replacing the abs signal wires the lights stayed on. I then replaced the abs actuator, still had lights come on, sometimes they stayed on and sometimes they would go off. I eventually noticed that the lights would come on when I stepped on the brake and put it in gear, I finally narrowed it down to the stop light/stop lamp switch that is located under the dash above the brake pedal arm. There are long switches that the brake arm contacts, they act as what I would call momentary switches. The top switch was 16 bucks at oreilly, unplugged the old one, turned it counter clockwise and pulled it out, put the new one in. Took the xterra for a drive and within a minute or two the lights were all off. Worth a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you see wheel alignment caused abs codes ?? When you say the codes clear in a week, do you mean the code will not come up on a scanner in a week or the check eng light goes out after a week. These are two different things as the check eng light shutting off is normal, the code clearing from the ecm is not.
The brake abs slip and cdc will clear and turn off after a few days... I don't understand

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an xterra with these same lights on, after cleaning and eventually replacing the abs signal wires the lights stayed on. I then replaced the abs actuator, still had lights come on, sometimes they stayed on and sometimes they would go off. I eventually noticed that the lights would come on when I stepped on the brake and put it in gear, I finally narrowed it down to the stop light/stop lamp switch that is located under the dash above the brake pedal arm. There are long switches that the brake arm contacts, they act as what I would call momentary switches. The top switch was 16 bucks at oreilly, unplugged the old one, turned it counter clockwise and pulled it out, put the new one in. Took the xterra for a drive and within a minute or two the lights were all off. Worth a try.
Definitely gonna do that FIRST! THANKS

1 - 20 of 34 Posts