Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
208 Posts
If it's a 2019 with 14K on the odometer, isn't it still covered by the Nissan Warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay so I drove the car 80 miles today. 40 miles on the highway at 75 mph. There are three issues I’m noticing that concern me.
1. The car makes a clicking sound similar to when you turn the car off in your driveway and it’s hot and makes clicking sounds as it cools except it makes the sound the whole time the car is running and is coming from the engine itself.
2. I smell burning plastic or wiring intermittently.
3. At a quarter tank I had roughly 70 miles of driving. That’s an est. 14mpg, much lower than the city 17mpg. I drove it 40 miles on the freeway. Where did my gas go?

Based on my findings and research I am thinking the engine is improperly cooling and is leading to improper burn. It’s literally overheating somehow and burning up gas. Which is why I smell the burning plastic odor and have low mpg and excess heat clicking. There’s plenty of oil in it and the radiator fluid temp indicator is staying in the middle.

Can someone with some technical knowledge confirm that I am correct based on these findings?

I may have to return this. It was sent to me dirty as hell inside. A simple baby wipe took off tons of grime. I can’t believe vroom. Shady. No reconditioning was done. It’s a Maryland car and was purchased in a location that experiences snow.
Thank you all for your feedback. Excellent info from everyone.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Trade ins come in dirty.
You got a trade in that hasn't been detailed, or checked over in any way. That's the online car business. It's under warranty, get it checked out at a Nissan dealer.
Get it detailed.
Sounds like a typical trade in.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Okay so I drove the car 80 miles today. 40 miles on the highway at 75 mph. There are three issues I’m noticing that concern me.
1. The car makes a clicking sound similar to when you turn the car off in your driveway and it’s hot and makes clicking sounds as it cools except it makes the sound the whole time the car is running and is coming from the engine itself.
3. At a quarter tank I had roughly 70 miles of driving. That’s an est. 14mpg, much lower than the city 17mpg. I drove it 40 miles on the freeway. Where did my gas go?

Based on my findings and research I am thinking the engine is improperly cooling and is leading to improper burn. It’s literally overheating somehow and burning up gas. Which is why I smell the burning plastic odor and have low mpg and excess heat clicking. There’s plenty of oil in it and the radiator fluid temp indicator is staying in the middle.

Can someone with some technical knowledge confirm that I am correct based on these findings?

I may have to return this. It was sent to me dirty as hell inside. A simple baby wipe took off tons of grime. I can’t believe vroom. Shady. No reconditioning was done. It’s a Maryland car and was purchased in a location that experiences snow.
Thank you all for your feedback. Excellent info from everyone.
You have more than enough evidence to tell you to return this vehicle. The fact that it was not detailed one bit before it was presented to you tells a lot. You are the consumer and will be making judgments on the product. The seller knows this and just dumped the raw product on you. He just did not care. Do not believe for one minute that the new vehicle warranty from Nissan will save the day. Do you want to spend days and weeks chasing a dealer? Play your get-out-of-jail-free card and move onto something better.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,214 Posts
If it's being purchased in carvana, vroom, or any of those sites, it will be probably coming shipped from another region. (You guys posted while I was typing, vroom was who were we going to purchase from once, also)

I looked into buying from those sites because my wife wanted a particular car we were having a hard time finding. It would have been shipped from Washington state and I would have been fine with it but, I changed my mind after reading the contract thoroughly

·
Registered
422 Posts

Based on my findings and research I am thinking the engine is improperly cooling and is leading to improper burn.
For peace of mind, I would move on.

1. Clicking should be covered in warranty, but could be very difficult to diagnose.
2. Burning smell is definite concern. Again warrantable but another tough one to diagnose. At this trucks age the new car 'burn' smells should be gone.
3. MPG doesn't sound totally out of line for a 4.0L. At 75mph my 4.0L is at best 17mpg.

If you have a walk away option I would take it, no need to stress over whether something will happen. A bit different when you get a bargain on a salvage title vehicle.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
You obviously have concerns about your purchase so if it's an easy return I say do it.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I may have to return this... I can’t believe vroom. Shady.
7-day return policy?
Don't count on it. You don't return a car like you return a can of tuna.
They have your money. I suspect if you return that vehicle, and pay the return fees and shipping fees, it will be an extended wait before you see your money come back, if ever.
Then you have no truck and no money. You already acknowledged above Vroom is shady.
Things can go very bad very quickly.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
7-day return policy?
Don't count on it. You don't return a car like you return a can of tuna.
They have your money. I suspect if you return that vehicle, and pay the return fees and shipping fees, it will be an extended wait before you see your money come back, if ever.
Then you have no truck and no money. You already acknowledged above Vroom is shady.
Things can go very bad very quickly.
Vroom has the worst on-line reviews I have ever seen. At best returning the vehicle will be a pain. I hope there is no clause in the contract that allows Vroom to deny the return.

The lesson learned here is to stay away from Vroom. Carvana on the other hand has good reviews.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hi everyone,
I bought a used 2019 Frontier from Maryland and had it shipped to CA. It’s the none power base model and there is 14k on the ODO. Overall I don’t see rust or anything major visually. I noted one thing and that’s the differential screw. Seems like there is some type of grease or adhesive sealant around the screw. I have 7 days to return it. What do you think this is and what other areas should I check out to make sure I didn’t buy a lemon?

thank you for your responses,
You say it’s the non power base model. Is that your way of saying that it is the S with 2.5 litre I4 and crank windows?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you wish to return it, check the fine print first. You may have to pay quite a bit of money given that you had it shipped from east coast to west coast. Likely will pay to have it shipped back at a minimum.

If you are inclined to keep it, sniff out a good Nissan dealer and have them go over it. If there is something shady that pops up now you have some ammunition in dealing with the seller.

As for mpg that by itself is not necessarily and indicator of trouble. The odd smells however would concern me.

Have you pulled the dipstick to check the condition of the engine oil, just in case it’s a sludgy goopy mess. If the engine is overheating sludge often happens. Or a sludgy mess could mean it never had its oil changed and it’s low. Or, maybe your oil is just fine. Have you Checked under the hood with a bright flashlight in case the seller did something stupid like leave a plastic part opened up and sitting on the engine.

And you likely know this already but trying to determine gas mileage based solely on a gas gauge reading is not going to prove anything.

GI’ve it a really good look over. And get it checked over too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Oh and if it truly is a base model, it will have the 2.5 4 cyclinder and they do have a unique sound. A sound anyone eith the V6 just would not understand. 😎

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ah, in Canada in 2019 and before an S is only 4 cylinder and an SV and above is only a 6. Now I know from your post its different in the USA.

Thus when the OP said base model non power, I figured he was talking about an S, 4 cylinder, crank windows, manual locks. He never answered, so I figure he either had the truck checked out and its fine or was able to return without a harsh penalty.

Still, as several people took the time to weigh in and be helpful, it would be nice to have a follow up post setting out how things turned out. Perhaps the OP is tied up with urgent stuff. That certainly can happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi everyone,
I bought a used 2019 Frontier from Maryland and had it shipped to CA. It’s the none power base model and there is 14k on the ODO. Overall I don’t see rust or anything major visually. I noted one thing and that’s the differential screw. Seems like there is some type of grease or adhesive sealant around the screw. I have 7 days to return it. What do you think this is and what other areas should I check out to make sure I didn’t buy a lemon?

thank you for your responses,
My 2019 is same way and sealant squished out around cover as well

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
OP seems to have left the building after 5 days without any response now,

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
OP seems to have left the building after 5 days without any response now,
I just think they were looking for any excuse to send it back. Had buyers remorse.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts