Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I bought a used 2019 Frontier from Maryland and had it shipped to CA. It’s the none power base model and there is 14k on the ODO. Overall I don’t see rust or anything major visually. I noted one thing and that’s the differential screw. Seems like there is some type of grease or adhesive sealant around the screw. I have 7 days to return it. What do you think this is and what other areas should I check out to make sure I didn’t buy a lemon?

thank you for your responses,

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This normal with such low miles? I don’t see anything mentioning a differential service on the Carfax. You think they just put it on the screw as a precaution?

·
Registered
490 Posts
This normal with such low miles? I don’t see anything mentioning a differential service on the Carfax. You think they just put it on the screw as a precaution?

They put it on from the factory, call for it in most manuals, someone could have checked it and put some back on and was sloppy about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on. Thank you for your response. I saw in the used purchase article they speak of trans radiator contamination and timing chain whine. Do I need to look for these in the 2019?

I do notice that with only 14k it has some cheap off brand tires that are not original off the lot tires. The wear looks even and there’s plenty of thread. Possible they want the new buyer me to have none worn out tires I assume.

thank you for answering my questions,

·
Registered
490 Posts
The bad radiators were finally handled in 2009. So you don't have to worry about that. From what I've read the bad timing chains were a stamping issue that only happened on the early ones as well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nissan issued a Technical Service Bulletin for Nissan Frontiers built in 2019. It was for a Crankshaft Impact Mark on the surface of the #6 crankshaft counterweight, (see copy attached below).
You might want to have a mechanic drop your oilpan to perform the inspection as a precautionary measure.

If you know the VIN of your 2019 Frontier, run it thru Nissan's Vehicle Recall Lookup webpage & see if your truck pops up on it's website.

If your vehicle has a Carfax guarantee then I think you have one year to submit a claim on their Buyback Guarantee, (see their webpage below)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The gray gunk is RTV-gray. Very normal for differential oil change. But not normal for a a 14k vehicle. It does not come this way from the factory. Check out the front differential to see if it too has RTV. Also the transfer case. Maybe the previous owner was just being overly cautious.

Is there RTV on the differential case bolts? If so, there was probably warranty work done on the differential.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The gray gunk is RTV-gray. Very normal for differential oil change. But not normal for a a 14k vehicle. It does not come this way from the factory. Check out the front differential to see if it too has RTV. Also the transfer case. Maybe the previous owner was just being overly cautious.

Is there RTV on the differential case bolts? If so, there was probably warranty work done on the differential.
Anyone who checked the fluid would throw something like that on. Could have been a chain oil change place.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bought my 2014 used. Looked the same way. Ex rental from Colorado. Couldn't tell you if it was that way from new. But at 115k miles, I can say, I don't suspect anyone checked it before I did per the manual. If its not leaking, or making noise, you still have the 5yr/60k miles drive train warranty that'll cover any issues.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts
What do you think this is and what other areas should I check out to make sure I didn’t buy a lemon?
Pull the plug and make sure the threads aren't stripped. If they are plan on changubg the plug or a diff cover change/upgrade. Either way it would not bother me.

As for other checks on a 2019 there isn't much. Visual check of the chassis and make sure it drives well....change the oil and drive it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 2017 looked the same when I changed the diff oil, same grey color. It could be factory or it could be the dealership checked when it was in for earlier service. I don't believe the grey stuff was RTV as it is hard not soft like silicone rubber.

Tt

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Legal or not:
The used vehicle market is likely 'flooded' w/ flood-damaged cars/trucks from the South's hurricanes and along Ida's path. Changing the rear diff fluid would be a standard procedure kind of approach/remedy.

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
189 Posts
Since you bring up flood vehicles. Since it's low mileage, get the pos breather out of there before you lose an axel seal! Mine started lking about a year ago. Didn't catch it until a month back. Park brake shoes already shot. Cleaned it all up, new rotors and brake pads. Did the breather mod at that time. So far, no more leakage. From what I've read here, sounds like a pia to replace axel seals on these trucks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The pictures the OP posted showed a very clean rear end. Too clean. A while back, an owner had pictures of a truck where the entire bottom was painted black. But the engine compartment with no paint was completely rusted!. I'm not saying this '19 has issues, but there are too many clues that don't add up. First is why ship a truck across country just to sell it? The dearth of used and new vehicles obviates the need to ship large distances to achieve a sale.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The pictures the OP posted showed a very clean rear end. Too clean. A while back, an owner had pictures of a truck where the entire bottom was painted black. But the engine compartment with no paint was completely rusted!. I'm not saying this '19 has issues, but there are too many clues that don't add up. First is why ship a truck across country just to sell it? The dearth of used and new vehicles obviates the need to ship large distances to achieve a sale.
Is it too clean or is it just not all rusted up, maybe it got parked in the garage? It's only two years old that shouldn't be all rusty yet. So there's four or five people that said that the thread sealer is on there from the factory so that's not a big deal. If you read the original post he said he had it shipped not that it was shipped. I think this is a nothing to see here move along kind of thing, personally.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Is it too clean or is it just not all rusted up, maybe it got parked in the garage? It's only two years old that shouldn't be all rusty yet. So there's four or five people that said that the thread sealer is on there from the factory so that's not a big deal. If you read the original post he said he had it shipped not that it was shipped. I think this is a nothing to see here move along kind of thing, personally.
I don't want to make a mystery out of a simple thing. The differential and axle looks like they were painted. I remember mine after a year and it did not look as clean. The RTV sealant was put on in a very pedestrian manner. I don't think it would have passed final inspection at the factory.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Take it in for a pre-purchase inspection, preferably at a Nissan dealer. Tell them your concerns also. For a few hundred bucks you will sleep well, plus they can pull the service history and give you a printout.
If it was flooded, there would be an insurance payoff and it would have a salvage title.
As for the tires, they may have been stolen or vandalized. Or they kept the good ones for another truck.
And if there are legitimate issues uncovered, it was diagnosed by the dealer, not Billy-Bob's garage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts