Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last week we picked up our family's first camper, a 22ft (26ft total) Heartland Edge M22, dry weight of 3690 lbs. The camper is advertised as a bumper pull, but the previous owner had the weight distro and sway bar installed and included with the sale. The previous owner said when they first got this camper they towed it with a Honda Pilot, which according to Google has a 5000 lbs towing, so I was certain my truck would do just fine. I pulled it with my 2006 LE 4x4 and used a Cortex Superchips programmer. Other than the programmer, the only other power mods I have on the truck are a Airraid intake, Undredrive pulley, and I recently switched the tranny/t-case/diffs to synthetic oil plus the axel vent mod.

We picked up the camper in Chicago, and while we were at the bank finalizing the transaction, my wife filled up the truck with 87 octane, for the first leg of the trip back we left the "Mileage XS save" program still installed since the "Light Tow" program required 91 or higher octane. The truck seemed to do fine with the program, I played around with turning overdrive on and off, but the motor bogged down far when it was trying to go into fifth so I just left it in 4th for most of the way. Gas mileage was averaging 10mpg going 60-65. Anything faster than that, the motor was running over 3k rpm and mileage would go down further, so I kept it slow.

We were stuck in Chicago traffic for the first hour, but we filled up again just after we got into Michigan, this time with premium 93 and I switched the program over to "Light Tow" program. There was a noticeable difference from take off, you could feel more torque from 1st gear and on. On the highway I was playing around with OD on and off again, but this time the shifting points were much better placed than before. The truck wouldn't shift itself into 5th until 4th had run its full rev range, and we were on flat ground. It would downshift itself back to 4th when we approached an incline and back to 5th at the crest of the hill. I was happier with this than the first program, so I bumped the cruise control up to 70mph. The truck seemed to do great if not better in 5th at 70 since the rpms were higher while in 5th, but the fuel mileage started to get lower too, but at this point in the trip we were looking at a 0100 arrival, so I traded fuel mileage for time. Fuel mileage was about the same in both programs, crappy, but in the truck was happier in the tow program which allowed for a wider range of speeds and ease of use.

Overall I'm happy with the tow. I had no issues with swaying or bouncing, but you could defiantly tell the trailer was behind you. I think the truck and traier are a good match :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
These little trucks do alright. I usually go by the GVWR and keep that a conservative amount below the 6100 lbs cap. Congrats on the new camping trailer!! It looks awesome

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
I have a Superchips Flashpaq tuner on my 06 Pathfinder LE. Previous to the tuner, I had installed Doug Thorley headers and mid-pipes, replaced the factory muffler with a Magnaflow 12580, installed an XTP plenum spacer, an aFe Momentum intake system and a Stillen standard-sized aluminum crank pulley. I don't tow with her, but do "give her the gas" at times. The 87 Octane program made a nice improvement over the stock. I tried the XS gas saver program when I was set to make a 400 mile trip, but it just took the "fun" out of the truck! It seemed like it stole all the power out of the engine. Now, I use the 93 Octane performance tune with 3-degrees of timing advance and limiters raised. It runs and sounds great with this set-up and you can really feel the gains in performance! I wish there was a place I could dyno it nearby so I could get an idea off what it's putting out with the upgrades. Granted, it's no 370Z, but, for a heavy SUV with a V6, it does pretty good.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That's a great RV trailer, it's only a foot shorter than mine and mine weights 1000lbs more. And my trailer is a 2014 model, so I thought it was light for it's size when we where doing our shopping research. Have fun with it, I tend to run 60mph up to 65mph in a 70mph zone. But any faster and I'm just comfortable with the way it gets pulled from crosswinds. I have a nice sway control hitch too. You didn't mention it, you do have a brake controller, right?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, I have the Tekoncha (sp) P3 brake controller, it works great, I had to dial it down from 12 because the brakes kept locking up. I think I have it set down to 6 or 7 now. Of course, this was when we first picked it up, so the trailer was completely empty. I may have to dial it back up once we load it up.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,883 Posts
You're a brave man changing tunes while on the road; I've heard of a few stories of the tuner getting stuck because of low battery and then needing the ECM sent back to Superchips. I always tune before my trip and then leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I change tunes at the gas station all the time. Over 200k miles of doing that and never had a problem.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I've never heard of tuners going bad like that either. This is the first time I've heard of this. Has this happened to anyone else on here?

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
The tuners don't go bad causing the problems, but, if the vehicle's battery is not in good shape and it goes dead while performing the reprogramming, it could damage the ECM. For this reason, it is recommended to have the battery on a charger while reprogramming. If your battery is in decent shape, it shouldn't be a problem performing the reprogram without having the vehicle on a charger.
Superchips doesn't change the shift points on the Nissan RE5 transmission, but, if you have it on a performance tune, it feels like it does due to the increased power output from the engine compared to stock or the gas saver tunes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts