Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an entry level trailer. But still nice. It's an Avenger 21RBS.

Weight 5294lbs
Tongue 790lbs (with propane)

Because I know it's too much trailer for my truck we are getting it delivered to our seasonal site. The seasonal site is provincial run so every year we go to a draw to see if we get a site for next year. So at the end of this year we have to pull it out of there.

We are going to store it very close to where the seasonal site is. It's literally 2km through town. Speed are low 50kph (30mph) there is barely any traffic. Plan is to use my truck to take it to storage but I am a bit worried because the tongue weight is so high. I shouldn't brake anything? As far as I calculated it won't go over rear GAWR but is over what Nissan says is max tongue. I'll likely be sitting on the bump stops but as long as I go slow I figure I should be ok. Is that right?

Next year we will go into the draw again. If we don't get a spot the plan would be to tow from the storage to the regular part of the camp ground on long weekends and when I take holidays. Same thing, plan of using my truck because it is such short distance, low speed,low traffic. I can see it now someone coming up to me saying, you shouldn't be towing that trailer.

In the future if we decide we want to travel at all obviously I will need a bigger truck.

Thoughts?

http://www.primetimerv.com/brochures/2017/2017avengerbrochure.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very nice unit, we are looking at a Keystone 251RBS Bullet and it's very close to your unit, just a little bit lighter in weight and tongue. And while I know it might be a bit much for the truck it is within allowable limits and I don't plan on towing it much due to it being used as seasonal 2nd home in MI... I looked at jounce style rear spring helpers and then went with Firestone Air Bags after finding them on sale, they will help greatly with rear end support and help prevent squat. Another item that helps greatly is going to the a weight distribution hitch as while your still going to be over on tongue weight it is at least distributed to all truck axles. If you don't already have when it comes time for new tires go with some LT tires as they will at least provide to with more load bearing confidence... This is as far as I've really thought it out at this time, limited short distance towing and will see where it goes from there...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personally would think you would be ok so long as you have a weight distribution hitch. My camper is 4,500lbs dry and pretty heavy at the tongue, and my 2012 pulls it well (I also haul with 1/2 a bed of hardwood and generally 4 large cement blocks, along with our other camping gear).

·
Registered
264 Posts
A few years back I bought a tractor at auction that weighed in at 5500lbs, the trailer I had to move the tractor was 1500lbs. Not sure of the tongue weight. With a total weight at 7000lbs I was able to tow it 10 miles (~16km) home without an issue. I made sure my trailer was properly loaded and that my trailer brakes were functional, while concerned with the weight I had no issues.

Every situation is different, so use your best judgement. If you don't want to move it yourself, I am sure you can find an insured tow company to move it for not too much $$.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
2km, thats something like 1.5 miles.
drop it on a hitch ball and go. You are not going to break anything. You are going to be going so slow you are not going to really experience any dynamic loading. Think about a trailer on the back of a truck cruising the highway at posted speed limits (or more). There are dips and bumps in the road. Forces are all over the place. You are not doing any of that. Add in you really are not at the limits anyway. Up there a bit, but still a half ton under what you should be able to tow for as far as you like.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's what I figured. Completely different going low speed compared to the highway. Though I am way over on tongue. Max for truck is 610 and this is 790 (dry except does include propane). Saying that I can't see that difference being a big deal given the situation.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update to this thread we ended up getting a different trailer. We are probably going to have the use for bunks more then we thought. So we got a Jayco 242 instead. Not as good for relaxation but better for sleeping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts