Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Stability wise, the camper tows very well. I've got a weight distribution hitch, friction sway control, the truck is bone stock. Lugging it around town is easy, getting up to speed I can definitely tell that it is back there. Breaking is about what I expected it to be - predictable.

Camper weighs 4400lbs dry with a 420lb dry hitch weight. I've probably loaded about 200lbs of stuff in it so far, and it has about 20 gallons of fresh water in it when I left dealer.

Took it to Harrison Bay State Park today before work. Tomorrow will finish setting it up for its maiden voyage. I'm quite excited

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What's the length on your TT? It would be nice if Nissan made expandable tow mirrors for the Frontier?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congrats on the camper!!

Does it have brakes one 1 axle or both?

Are they electric or hydraulic?

Glad to see you opted for weight distributing hitch, I will never tow heavy loads with out mine with built in sway control,it really makes pulling that load a lot easier.

You will also have less white knuckle driving with hitch and sway control if set up properly in winds or when a semi passes you.

You must pay more attention to what is going on around you more look in mirrors more(can you see around that with stock mirrors) and look farther ahead of you to anticipate what the people in front of you are going to do.

It takes some getting use to if you have not towed anything of this size and weight but it can be done safely if you adjust your driving habits!!

I have not found any very good clip ons or extention mirrors yet. Of some of the ones that will fit our stock mirrors they have vibration problems that drive me nuts.

I have made some mods to my set by adding dense foam and rubber for a tight fit when they go over the stock mirrors as well as tighter straps for securing them.

Happy trails and RVing.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
NICE! I have one...... but its 50 years older! lol. I have a 1960 sasha. (12 footer)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I'm very excited. I've done my research on the camper itself and am not a stranger to towing the weight - though I haven't towed anything with quite the profile of a hard sided camper...

Bumper to hitch, the length is like 23.5 feet and brakes on both axles. Running a Primus brake controller. The plow wind of a passing semi was what everyone warned me about, bringing it home I experienced it with a semi passing me at about a 5mph gain. It was sudden, but again, predictable....

Backing is a breeze with the long wheelbase of both the trailer and Frontier, just gotta remember to turn it sharper than normal. My girlfriend grew up with campers so she did a good job backing me into my driveway and the campsite so kudos to her.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the camper!!

Does it have brakes one 1 axle or both?

Are they electric or hydraulic?

Glad to see you opted for weight distributing hitch, I will never tow heavy loads with out mine with built in sway control,it really makes pulling that load a lot easier.

You will also have less white knuckle driving with hitch and sway control if set up properly in winds or when a semi passes you.

You must pay more attention to what is going on around you more look in mirrors more(can you see around that with stock mirrors) and look farther ahead of you to anticipate what the people in front of you are going to do.

It takes some getting use to if you have not towed anything of this size and weight but it can be done safely if you adjust your driving habits!!

I have not found any very good clip ons or extention mirrors yet. Of some of the ones that will fit our stock mirrors they have vibration problems that drive me nuts.

I have made some mods to my set by adding dense foam and rubber for a tight fit when they go over the stock mirrors as well as tighter straps for securing them.

Happy trails and RVing.
Brakes are electric on both axles. Mirrors are next on the list

Whatcha towing?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
nice trailer! so the what is the length of the box itself not including the tongue? and if you don't mind sharing, what did you pay for the unit? i'm in the market for one, so as you probably know the pricing game... Makes me want to go camping!
BTW good job setting the weight distribution up correctly. I see way to many people with the leveling bars all bent up. They are supposed to be parallel to the ground and trailer like yours!

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice trailer! so the what is the length of the box itself not including the tongue? and if you don't mind sharing, what did you pay for the unit? i'm in the market for one, so as you probably know the pricing game... Makes me want to go camping!
BTW good job setting the weight distribution up correctly. I see way to many people with the leveling bars all bent up. They are supposed to be parallel to the ground and trailer like yours!
$15.5K. Normally 22K but they are trying to get rid of 2010 models. Um...i'm not sure the box lenght, i'll have to get the brocure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts