Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this truck rides so smooth, its like a Cadillac but its so soft that the front end bottoms out going over the smallest speed bumps, very slowly.

do you guys have the same trouble?

I was going to tighten the torsion bars a little to try and tighten the front out a bit because I don't want my brand new shocks to get blown out, like the ones were that were on the truck when I bought it.

I want to see if its common to have to do this though. the truck came to me totally stock so maybe the torsion bars kind of worn and need tightening up to get back to stock? how tall is a stock 2x4 crew cab to the middle of the wheel arch from the ground? I need to measure where mine sits and post it so I can compare to you guy's numbers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Refer to the FSM at nicoclub.com section FSU (front suspension) page 27 and up. Keep in mind that those numbers are for stock tire as well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a pair of torsions with a 110k on them if you need some. They were still good when i pulled them. I lifted my truck and got some heavy duty after markets.

What shocks did you get? Did you notice an improvement after changing your shocks?

Even though you have new shocks are you sure your shocks aren't bottoming out? You need an alignment every 3 days as the roads here in Corpus are freaking horrible. I changed my shocks about a year or so ago. Every bump or pot hole i hit i was bottoming out hard. It was jarring the whole truck. I put on some Bilsteins and problem solved immediately. It was night and day.

Its either cheap shocks or your torsions have lost their spring rate is my guess.

As far as ride height, the post above is correct. Its a mathematical equation, STUPID. The 2nd gen manual gives you ride height of each and every sub model.

You should have a 1.5'' rake which is the factory stance.
So just measure the rear and compare to the front. Don't measure from the fender wells as that will give you the wrong measurement. Measure from the seam underneath the rocker panel. Measure as far up in the front as you can. Meaning, measure at the seam under the rocker panel just behind the front fender and then measure at the seam as far back on the cab as you can get. The rear should be 1.5'' higher. I leveled mine out and think it rides better. Just My Opinion tho.
You can also measure from the frame.

Just make sure that before you adjust your torsions that you dont forget to measure

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the higher end Monroe gas shocks. they made a huge difference.

I will check out everything you guys put up. thanks

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
As far as ride height, the post above is correct. Its a mathematical equation, STUPID. The 2nd gen manual gives you ride height of each and every sub model.
The mathematical equation is not "stupid." It is the most accurate way to adjust the ride height because it is actually measuring the suspension height in regards to the frame and not to the body of the truck. To measure using the body of the truck might not be accurate because the body might not be consistently level with the frame, possibly due to worn body mount bushings or damage to the body. You can't really compare this to a Gen 2 because a Gen 2 doesn't have torsion bar suspension.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The mathematical equation is not "stupid." It is the most accurate way to adjust the ride height because it is actually measuring the suspension height in regards to the frame and not to the body of the truck. To measure using the body of the truck might not be accurate because the body might not be consistently level with the frame, possibly due to worn body mount bushings or damage to the body. You can't really compare this to a Gen 2 because a Gen 2 doesn't have torsion bar suspension.
Just to add to this: it will also neglect tire size, so if you got a 28in tire vs a 30in tire, the measurements are the same at the end.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Fair Enough
BUT
I'd still call it "stupid". An equation is fine to have in the FSM. But when i need to know what the ride height of my truck is and just need a simple number in inches without going through a cumbersome process and the FSM cant provide that simple Number then it is indeed "stupid".

When lifting my truck 6'' i just needed a quick number as to what my trucks height was from the factory bc i got in such a hurry i forgot to measure. And for a lot of people i'd imagine a simple raw number on ride height is all most people care about. Granted, the FSM is for Nissan Techs but still...

·
Registered
660 Posts
how tall is a stock 2x4 crew cab to the middle of the wheel arch from the ground? I need to measure where mine sits and post it so I can compare to you guy's numbers
Found Some Pics That May Help You Out

When i was half way through my lift i parked next to a Crew Cab 2x4 here in town to get a quick measurement. Measuring from ground to top of Fender Flare Through the center cap i got about 34''

90595586_522776188347990_2694477754966999040_n.jpg 91051803_598929724036038_523339827987349504_n.jpg 90682584_210017996937145_4869212755711754240_n.jpg

Website says the Crew Cab on 17's is 265/65/17 which is a 30.6'' Tire - So you'll have to figure out your tire size to get a more accurate comparison. Again tho, Measuring ground to the top of the wheel well is a crude measurement and is just for giving you a general idea. It's the worst place to measure for accuracy but should get you in the ballpark

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to try the way the factory manual says but its going to have to wait till the weekend. I usually don't feel like doing stuff like that after work Monday-Friday but we will see. sometimes I just get off work and don't even go in the house and start playing with stuff in the garage.

but, that base number you got will be a good quick starter because the kids left a tape measure on the porch so its right there when I go in and out.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am going to try the way the factory manual says but its going to have to wait till the weekend. I usually don't feel like doing stuff like that after work Monday-Friday but we will see. sometimes I just get off work and don't even go in the house and start playing with stuff in the garage.

but, that base number you got will be a good quick starter because the kids left a tape measure on the porch so its right there when I go in and out.
Right, your only option is to go with the manual at this point

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
It's not hard once you've done it a couple of times. Just measure to the ground to the points on the control arm they show and subtract and compare the sum to the manual spec. Adjust the torsion bar to the spec. When they first come out with the Frontier, Nissan shipped the dealer an alignment jig to adjust the right height; there might even be a picture of it in the service manual. The jig hooked over the torsion bar and the other end had a hole that slipped over the nut on the front side of the lower control arm. It had a spring-loaded lever that rested on the lower part of the control arm that moved with the raising and lowering of the ride height. We found it was mostly inaccurate as the measurement would be affected depending how you had it mounted, i.e. a little tilted one way or the other and the measurement would be off. They quickly made their way to the dark corner of the tool room to collect dust! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when I reading the manual, the measurement looked super easy to take. the points are low points of the areas and like you said its just a little math and you got the numbers. building helicopter engines was a past job I had and there were some spots on parts that you measure the same way. as long as you know the spots, life is good and the backlash, end play, and gear patterns come in on the first shot. measure wrong and your shims are no good and you have to break it down to change shims and redo your work.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
when I reading the manual, the measurement looked super easy to take. the points are low points of the areas and like you said its just a little math and you got the numbers. building helicopter engines was a past job I had and there were some spots on parts that you measure the same way. as long as you know the spots, life is good and the backlash, end play, and gear patterns come in on the first shot. measure wrong and your shims are no good and you have to break it down to change shims and redo your work.
;) Yeah, it's definitely not "helicopter science!" Just find a level surface to do it on and made sure you check/adjust your tire pressure before you start.

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, my fender measurements came out to (p) 33.25" and (d) 33.5".

My unladen numbers came out over spec though. I got (p) 2" and (d) 2.25".

Book says it should be only 1.484" to 1.642".

So, my truck is to tall? What the heck?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok, my fender measurements came out to (p) 33.25" and (d) 33.5".

My unladen numbers came out over spec though. I got (p) 2" and (d) 2.25".

Book says it should be only 1.484" to 1.642".

So, my truck is to tall? What the heck?
I don't think that's correct. As you raise the actual ride height, that measurement will get smaller. At least, I think that's how I remember it.
Anyway, raise the T-bars to 34" even and see what happens, height and ride wise.

·
Registered
None, yet
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It needs to be a stiffer ride, the height is not bothering me. I will try tightening the bars up tomorrow and see what it does.

Actually, i pick on my youngest son because his 95 grand cherokee with 3" lift is the same height as this stock frontier.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Try 2 full turns of the adjuster on the 33.5 side and 3 turns on the 33.25 and see where that gets you.
Don't forget to jounce before measuring. Remeasure H too.
And remember, its been a while so my estimation may be off, a bit. :)
I think its a 19mm nut.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts