Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone started to receive the notification letters?

Is this part of the reason the bonnet latches are often ratting over vibrations?

Nissan—D40 Navara & R51 Pathfinder Hood Latch
PRA number: 2010/11664
Date created: 19th May 2010
Product information
Product description
D40 Navara & R51 Pathfinder vehicles produced in Europe
Identifying features
Campaign Number: R1017
Target Number: 54, 732

Vin Range:

D40 Navara
VSKCLAD40A0025460-VSKCLAD40A0366783
VSKCLND40A0033906-VSKCLND40A0369626

R51 Pathfinder
VSKJLWR51A0007409-VSKJLWR51A0366895
VSKJVWR51A0007459-VSKJVWR51A0365777

NB Not all vehicles in the above range are included
What are the hazards?
Vehicle malfunction.
What are the defects?
A concern has been detected relating to the installation of heavy "Steel bull bars" and accessory devices such as winches being fitted to the front of these European models. In high speed driving application on corrugated road surface there is a possibility of increased vibration frequency causing the hood striker loop to separate from the hood causing subsequent damage to the hood latch assembly. If this occurs, it can result in the hood not being securely latched and the possibility of the hood opening unexpectedly while driving.
Where the product was sold

* National

Supplier
Nissan Motor Company (Australia) Pty Ltd
Supplier's web site
Nissan Australia: Shift The Way You Move. Cars, 4x4's, Dealers
What should consumers do?
At this stage consumers do not need to take any action.

Once sufficient counter measure parts are available Nissan will write to owners of affected vehicles advising owners to contact a Nissan Dealer to arrange for an inspection and where necessary the rectification of the vehicle.

Owners should not exceed 90 kph if travelling off bitumen roads until the vehicle has been inspected.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got my letter in the mail today, was worded pretty much the same as above. Had a look at the affected part and can't really see how it could be a problem as the striker loop has 2 solid welds to the bonnet at both ends, and all I have is a factory nudge bar.

Oh and my cars VIN starts with VSKCVN.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was speaking to my local dealer today regarding another matter and the recall came up in the conversation. It seems that the ‘fix’ varies from doing nothing for those that have a stock truck, to replacing the bonnet for those with a bullbar fitted that do 'high speed' driving on unsealed roads. I asked what happens if the vehicle gets a bullbar fitted at a later date, the response was it will be resolved then – yeah right in 5 years time, I don’t think so.
Moorie.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Got my letter today
Mines a 06 built 07 landed 4x2 and my VIN isnt even close to those they quoted
I have the factory alloy bar . Will have to wait and see what they do

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got my letter in the mail and my vin is in the range so yay,I found that if you bar weighs mor than 55kgs you get new springs and another latch . Does any body know how much a arb bullbar weighs cos if its under 55kgs you get nothing ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sounds fair but how do they know how heavy the bar is going to be?

·
Registered
55 Posts
probly by using a dart board thats how they do most of there diagnosis isnt it?
or they take it off and weigh it ,they want it for 4 hours at least

Commence effective 10/06/2010
Vehicle Safety Recall - R1017
Nissan Motor Company Japan is conducting a Recall Campaign on Nissan D40 Navara & R51 Pathfinder vehicles produced in Europe, which will affect some Australian vehicles as described below.
Description of Problem
A concern has been detected relating to the installation of heavy “Steel bull bars” and accessory devices such as winches being fitted to the front of these European models. In high speed driving application on corrugated road surfaces there is a possibility of increased vibration frequency causing the hood striker loop separating from the hood & subsequent damage occurring to the hood latch assembly. If this occurs, it can result in the hood not being securely latched and the possibility that the hood may open unexpectedly while driving.
Affected Vehicles:
Model
VIN Range
From
To
D40 Navara
VSKCLAD40A0025460
VSKCLAD40A0366783
VSKCLND40A0033906
VSKCLND40A0369626
VSKCVND40A0033873
VSKCVND40A0369632
R51 Pathfinder
VSKJLWR51A0007409
VSKJLWR51A0366895
VSKJVWR51A0007459
VSKJVWR51A0365777
Note: Not all vehicles in the above range are included.
Recommended Action
Owners of affected vehicles will be advised to contact a Nissan Dealer to arrange for an inspection & where necessary the rectification of their vehicle. This rectification will consist of:
 Inspecting the vehicle and identifying if any accessories fitted to the front of the vehicle have a combined weight in excess of 55 kilograms.
 If not – Inspect the hood striker loop for cracks (if evident replace the Hood).
 If accessories in excess of 55 kilograms have been fitted then inspect the hood striker loop for cracks (if evident replace the Hood). Then replace the front suspension springs with heavy duty springs and install a positive bonnet restraint system.
 In all cases attach a warning label to the radiator support panel & one to the owners handbook advising of front weight limitations & requirements
 Any rectification will be carried out at no charge to the owner of the vehicle.
Nissan regrets the need to conduct this recall, which has been initiated in the interests of ongoing customer satisfaction and continued product reliability. If you have any further inquiries, please contact your Nissan Dealer or the Nissan Customer Service Centre on 1800 035 035.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
They should just change everyones springs and stuff. What happens if we bolt on a wench or heavier bar at a later stage. Will they replace our springs etc then as well?

Wonder what an alloy bar weighs ?

Can just imagine someone will screw this up and replace aftermarket springs with factory units lol

·
Registered
619 Posts
Got mine today , I only have the factory nudge bar , I dont think I'll bother taking mine in at all

Marty

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hey Nissan is covering the bases. There are 4 different colours they can choose from that they say are all good lol

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Damm I hate it when it double posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Got my notice today, and my VIN is no where near the ones specified.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They should just change everyones springs and stuff. What happens if we bolt on a wench or heavier bar at a later stage. Will they replace our springs etc then as well?

Wonder what an alloy bar weighs ?

Can just imagine someone will screw this up and replace aftermarket springs with factory units lol
Might just ask them to bolt a "wench" onto mine Aussie :laugh:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my inspection today, I have the black steel factory bull bar and it looks like they inspected the latch and did nothing.

No that's right they gave me a sticker for my log book. :goodjob: :laugh:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
My wench moved out a few weeks ago so I wont be up for anything lol
I spoke to the dealers today and the 4x2 gets squat

·
Registered
55 Posts
took mine in today and they replaced the front springs with heavy duty ones and a stupid cable that you have to disconnect when you open the bonnet ,it sits higher in the front now about 530mm from center of wheel to guard lip is this normal height?oh and the stickers for the book and radiator suport

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah right!

My dealer told me they would gladly replace my heavy Duty OME coils and shocks fitted by ARB. I said to just do the loop or whatever it was they said nissan policy all or nothing. " but don't worry it wont cost you anything"
just the cost of my quality upgraded parts.
yeah right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts