Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum and new to Frontiers.

Just purchased a 2014 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x and enjoying the drive.
Previously had the Titan but decided it was overkill for my needs.

We have a 16 foot fiberglass boat with Outboard on a trailer which of course the Titan pulled in its sleep.
I read the specs on the Frontier and seeing max I would be towing with load in the 3000 pound range the tow rating should be adequate.

We tow short distances 30 to 50 miles relatively flat terrain at reasonable speeds ... under 60 mph.

I read conflicting messages that I need trailer brakes, tranney cooler and feel many must be nice to have but question if must have.

Advice tips appreciated as I don't feel I need a 7500 pound V8 truck for my towing needs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Well, your truck already had a transmission cooler, so don't worry about that.

Your trailer should have brakes, whether electrical or surge.

What's the weight of the trailer + the boat? 3000? That seems a little low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks appreciate your comments.
Nice to see you are not far from my Belleville location.

Happy Canada day!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
16' boat, no problem. You have the Pro-4x so it is the V6. It will tow just fine. No need for anything extra or special.

I guess I should check, you have a hitch and wiring?

It will tow pretty much the same as the Titan did.

·
Registered
544 Posts
A 16 foot fiberglass boat, motor & trailer does not weigh enough to warrant or require the install of trailer brakes, it is most certainly well under 3K pounds... I have a 16 foot fish-n-ski as pictured and it weighs in around 2,400 fully rigged and fueled, it did not come with brakes and my Frontier hauls and stops it like it's not even there...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
The brakes in the truck were built to stop the truck and some weight in the bed, not the extra 3000 pounds. I'd have trailer brakes as you surely wouldn't want the boat to push you into whatever is in front of you in a panic stop.
Your safety, life and property are on the line.
Most jurisdictions have mandated requirements for trailer brakes posted online by weight.
Here in the states many start at 2000 pounds.
Enjoy the truck, I went from 2 Frontiers to a Titan and then back to three more Frontiers, you made a good choice.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
16' boat, no problem. You have the Pro-4x so it is the V6.
Size is not a good indication of weight.
My 18ft. weighed over 5,000 lbs. When fully loaded with gear and extra fuel ( carried extra 50 gals.of fuel on trips to Mexico) a lot more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,598 Posts
The brakes in the truck were built to stop the truck and some weight in the bed, not the extra 3000 pounds. I'd have trailer brakes as you surely wouldn't want the boat to push you into whatever is in front of you in a panic stop.
Your safety, life and property are on the line.
Clint
And other people's safety!

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts