Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never cared enough to use Bluetooth...until now. When I bought an iPhone there is no longer a
3.5mm phone jack which I normally used to plug into my truck AUX. I find myself having to
potentially buy a Apple "Lightning-to-phone plug" patch cord now, ergo my question: is it possible
to use the Bluetooth feature in my truck to stream music wirelessly into the truck sound system?

I tried flipping pages in the owner manual and haven't quite found a definitive answer, though I'm
thinking the answer is "no". I did learn 100 ways not to strap on a child seat to the car though.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Look in your center console, there should be a 3.5MM jack and a USB plug. The USB plug will both charge and push music from your iPhone to your head unit. Also, you can most definitely Bluetooth music from your iPhone to play in your truck, just turn Bluetooth on on your iPhone and hit “Allow New Connections”, your truck should pop up on your screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Raymond - you’ve got a 2011, me a 2012. In the upper glove box of my truck is an iPod connector. You could control an iPod through the steering wheel controls. Other than that, Bluetooth for me is only for making phone calls. All my phone music has to go through the aux port.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a 2012 with the 3.5mm aux in and was thinking of doing something like this (see link below) ....but not sure how it would bluetooth music from my phone and have my stock RF head unit get/recieve a bluetooth phone call at the same time. As like you my smartphone is on its last leg and will need to get a new smart phone soon ...not many / if any new phones have a headphone jack anymore.

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nope, your factory Bluetooth is for phone calls only. You need a Bluetooth receiver.

This is what I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G57CWZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of options, but you really want one without an internal battery so it shuts off with the ignition. Otherwise your music/podcast will continue to play after you park.
So what happens when you are listening to music/podcast thru the bluetooth in to aux in and you have a phone call?
Does the phone just know that the phone call bluetooth goes to truck/rockford fosgate headunit , and the music/podcast bluetooth goes to the bluetooth /AUX in ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have not tried to stream music in mine, but whether CD or radio, if I get a call it shuts the music off and broadcasts the call. I would hazard a guess it would do the same (with an iPhone)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
argh...thank you guys. i knew about the dongle adapter and was trying to avoid that...hoping i could
'activate' some Bluetooth feature to stream wireless direct from the phone and through the head unit.
i may have to go the dongle route then. bleh

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just remembered... the limitation I have run into, is (I think) my phone's fault for being cheap. I could not run my Bluetooth OBD scan tool and still get phone calls at the same time. Not sure if it is because of my phone, or the truck, but i suspect it is my cheapo phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts