Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally did it! Today I finalized my trade for a black 6-speed manual 2019 PRO-4X. I've enjoyed my white truck since I got it in March 2020, but the automatic just didn't do it for me. I wanted a 6 speed all along and tried to buy one way back when, but none were available so I settled on the auto. I have been eyeballing manuals for sale ever since but could never make it happen. Finally today it happened. They're doing a tiny bit of paint repair in one spot as part of the agreement, otherwise it will be ready to take home early next week. It works out because this gives me a few days to lazily undo all the crap I did in the last year and a half. I actually removed almost all my mods a few weeks ago in anticipation of this trade, but I still have a few things left like the Morimoto Headlights, Rigid Fogs, toolbox, custom rear axle breather setup, and a few other small things.

As part of the agreement, my wheels will be swapped so I can keep my Nismo 17's and General Grabber ATX tires.

So, what are the plans? Well, there are lots!

First - Mods to transfer over from the White Truck:
  • Remove Step Rails & Tonneau and Sell Both
  • Swap the Wheels/Tires
  • Morimoto XB Hybrid Headlights
  • VLEDS Turn, brake, backup bulbs
  • Rear Axle Breather
  • Kenwood DMX957XR Carplay Radio with Associated Adapters & HD Backup Cam
  • Power Tailgate Lock
  • SmartLiner Floor Mats
  • Tow Hitch
  • Toolbox
  • Bed Extender
  • OEM Hood Guard
  • Upper Console 4-Switch Panel
Future Plans - Some long term, some nearer future:
  • KC Cyclones and @12° North Industries Under Hood LED Strip kit automatically wired to a hood ground switch with a manual cutoff button
  • VK Swap (Keeping the 6-speed of course!)
  • Nismo Front Bumper with Rigid 10" Light Bar, Driving Lights, & Winch
  • M205 Diff Built by Nisstec
  • 4.10 or 4.56 gears, depending on what I think of the VK afterwards
  • Nismo suspension lift kit, pending eventual availability

This is something I really hope to keep long term. We'll see, plans can always change, but this is the starting goal. Hopefully I can keep up with this build thread, I waited way too long on the other truck and it was a real pain trying to catch up (and not really succeeding at ever catching up).

Here are some pics of the old truck and the new one.

Hello new one:

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Car Cloud Land vehicle

Goodbye old one:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Dinosaur siting!

Reactions: BLtheP

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV CC 4x2 Midnight Edition
379 Posts
That is my question. What did it cost you to do the swap? Seems like it would be almost an even trade.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not exactly an even trade because I shaved off 12K miles and of course a dealer will never buy your truck and sell you the same truck for the same price because they make no money on that. Overall I went up about $3k, but the paint on the black one is in better condition than the white one and I got the manual I want, so considering those factors + 12k less miles, I say it’s a fair trade. I won’t regret it, been itching for a manual for a year and a half now.

·
Registered
2017 Frontier Pro4X 6 Speed Manual
38 Posts
I miss my black pro-4x with the 6 speed that I stupidly traded in for a Titan and never ended up using the Titan the way I planned. But trying to find another black 6 speed was a needle in a hay stack so I ended up with a white pro-4x which was two needles in a hay stack. Its literally everything I wanted except color, but no way I'm giving this one up lol.

Reactions: BLtheP

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I miss my black pro-4x with the 6 speed that I stupidly traded in for a Titan and never ended up using the Titan the way I planned. But trying to find another black 6 speed was a needle in a hay stack so I ended up with a white pro-4x which was two needles in a hay stack. Its literally everything I wanted except color, but no way I'm giving this one up lol.
I hear ya! I don’t think I will ever be able to let this one go unless somehow it turns out to be a significantly problematic POS, which I don’t expect it to. I’ve gone back and forth on a 2022 or maybe a Tacoma but end of the day, I knew a 6 speed frontier is really what I wanted.

I only ended up with white the first time as it was all that was available locally in P4X trim. I grew to really like the white so I was fine with it. However looking at this black truck I think I like it slightly better. Like both a lot though. My favorite would have been gunmetallic but when you’re trying to find such a rare truck, you really are not allowed to be picky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I finally did it! Today I finalized my trade for a black 6-speed manual 2019 PRO-4X. I've enjoyed my white truck since I got it in March 2020, but the automatic just didn't do it for me. I wanted a 6 speed all along and tried to buy one way back when, but none were available so I settled on the auto. I have been eyeballing manuals for sale ever since but could never make it happen. Finally today it happened. They're doing a tiny bit of paint repair in one spot as part of the agreement, otherwise it will be ready to take home early next week. It works out because this gives me a few days to lazily undo all the crap I did in the last year and a half. I actually removed almost all my mods a few weeks ago in anticipation of this trade, but I still have a few things left like the Morimoto Headlights, Rigid Fogs, toolbox, custom rear axle breather setup, and a few other small things.

As part of the agreement, my wheels will be swapped so I can keep my Nismo 17's and General Grabber ATX tires.

• Swap the Wheels/Tires
  • Rear Axle Breather
  • Power Tailgate Lock
  • SmartLiner Floor Mats
  • Tow Hitch
  • Toolbox
  • Bed Extender
  • OEM Hood Guard
  • KC Cyclones and @12° North Industries Under Hood LED Strip kit automatically wired to a hood ground switch with a manual cutoff button

This is something I really hope to keep long term. We'll see, plans can always change, but this is the starting goal. Hopefully I can keep up with this build thread, I waited way too long on the other truck and it was a real pain trying to catch up (and not really succeeding at ever catching up).

Hello new one:

View attachment 335757 View attachment 335758

Goodbye old one:

View attachment 335759 View attachment 335760

• Swap the Wheels/Tires
  • Rear Axle Breather
  • Power Tailgate Lock
  • SmartLiner Floor Mats
  • Tow Hitch
  • Toolbox
  • Bed Extender
  • OEM Hood Guard

Hello new one:

Goodbye old one:

Did you notice any difference in mpg when you put the 17 Nismos on your white truck. I have a 19 SV, and I’m considering buying a set.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Did you notice any difference in mpg when you put the 17 Nismos on your white truck. I have a 19 SV, and I’m considering buying a set.
If they're P-Metric or LT, you won't notice anything. Step up to Load E and you'll lose around 2MPG or so, mostly in-city running. Ask me how I know. LOL

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Well I finally did it! Today I finalized my trade for a black 6-speed manual 2019 PRO-4X. I've enjoyed my white truck since I got it in March 2020, but the automatic just didn't do it for me. I wanted a 6 speed all along and tried to buy one way back when, but none were available so I settled on the auto. I have been eyeballing manuals for sale ever since but could never make it happen. Finally today it happened.

Hello new one:

Goodbye old one:

If you VK, you still think you'll need gears too? 400+ Ft/LBs oughta get it going, 130+ boost over VQ stock .............

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As Ryan said, should be no difference if you stay on the same load range. The 17’s were within a few pounds of my stock 16’a themselves. The stock hankook tires were 3 lbs lighter than my Generals. Overall no noticeable difference in acceleration or anything like that and my lifetime fuel mileage calculation on Fuelly didn’t go down either.

you might feel a small difference in mpg if you go with 265/70R17 (31.6”). Your stock tires are 265/70R16 (30.5”) and the 17 equivalent would be 265/65R17 (30.5”). The 265/70R17 looks a lot better though so I say worth it. Much better tire selection too.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If you VK, you still think you'll need gears too? 400+ Ft/LBs oughta get it going, 130+ boost over VQ stock .............
It’s probably something to wait and see for. I just really do not like how tall 6th and R are. Plus, considering the cost of a VK, I’m kind of considering just installing 4.10 earlier to benefit the VQ and then letting it be how it is when the VK is in place. I’m not sure, definitely some decisions to be made but I don’t like 6th gear and I don’t know that even a VK will fix that.

something to Add is that I want an M205 front. Pretty sure I would have to go down to 3.36 or up to 4.10 anyways. I plan to buy the one from Nisstec and their usual selections are 4.10 and 4.56. So I probably will do4.10 while I have the V6 and then let it be how it is when I VK swap. The M205 is pretty much a guarantee and I know I’m definitely not gearing down to 3.36 to make that happen.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bringing it Home

Well, today marks the first step of the "build" of this truck. I brought it home today! I went to the dealer to pick it up after they fixed the roof damage. They did an excellent job, you can't tell there was ever any damage. Body work like that always amazes me.

The dealership had their shop swap the wheels for me. Unfortunately it took a little while as they decided to take apart the tires to swap the TPMS sensors for me. Nice of them, although I totally could have programmed them myself. Should have told them first, but oh well. During the swap process, one of the wheel studs broke so that added a lot of time to the process. Not sure what happened, maybe they accidentally had their impact on tighten mode. Not sure, but anyways 4 hours from my arrival I finally got to leave.

Some pics at the dealer after tire swap:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Saying one last goodbye to the old truck...

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Driving it home was a blast. I really love this 6 speed, feels so good to be driving a manual transmission again. No more cruising at 1100 rpm in 5th at 35 mph. The 6 speed gives you excellent gear choices for each speed you find yourself driving whether it's school zones, highway, or medium city roads in between. Man I love that transmission so far. Reverse is a bit weird since you have to push down to clear the lockout, but I'm getting used to it. I come from 5 speed Jeeps and my old Ranger where R was where 6 is on the Frontier. Anywho, none of it matters, I'm loving this already and can certainly see driving this over the long haul.

Here it is in its new home (my driveway until I can get the Jeep moved out if I ever do):

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

So now it's home and I'm really enjoying whipping around town in my new ride.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mats & New Cabin Filters

Nothing too exciting after bringing it home, quickly got my old Smartliner front mats and Weathertech rear mat installed.

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire White Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car seat cover

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

Decided to do some inspecting and found the cabin air filters were filthy and installed backwards (upside down), so I went to O'Reilly and got a new set of those. I prefer OEM but these will work for a temporary time period at least. Checked the engine air filter and it was brand new so I'm leaving that alone for now.

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tail Light & Reverse Light LEDs

Installed my red VLEDS bulbs in the 3 brake locations, and my white backup lights from Diode Dynamics. Overall nice upgrades, the tail lights will stay as they are forever, but the backup lights will only be part of the backup light equation. Eventually I'll put some nice bright lights in the rear bumper, probably the Rigid SR-Qs again like I had on my old white truck. Those were freakin awesome.

Tail Lights - They are not as bright as they seem, they are a nice moderate brightness cherry red. Easy to see but not fatiguing drivers.

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

Brake Lights - I think they're bright enough! The tail lights get much brighter in brake mode than tail lamp mode, the camera makes it all look the same but it's a huge difference. The products from VLEDS always really impress me big time. Everything I've tried from them has been excellent, by far the best signal/brake/etc bulbs I've used.

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive lighting Car
Sky Automotive lighting Wheel Motor vehicle Tree

Diode dynamics XPR backup lights - they are not as bright as the pic makes it seem, but they are good for a simple bulb solution.

Wheel Sky Tire Building Garage door

I also stopped at the dealer today for something and saw they had a Nismo License plate frame in stock, so I decided to buy one and see if I like it. I'm going to keep it and get another one. Since I have Nismo wheels, and soon to be Nismo bumper, and probably exhaust and suspension as well, I may as well have their plate frames too. I think these work well on the truck because the Nismo label is black and the frame is stainless/chrome to match the badges on the tailgate.

I had some alumni frames prior to this truck but they were really thick and blocked the plate lights from lighting the plate properly - always worried about that for legality reasons. Anyways, I like these enough to proceed with making them my new plate frame.

Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Car Grille

·
Premium Member
2019 Black PRO-4X 6MT
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I Hate People.....

Messing around in the back of my truck with some wiring starting to get ready to wire in resistors for my LED turn signal bulbs. I look up and see that some moron in the past life of this truck decided to splice RIGHT NEXT TO the gray trailer plug on the frame, rather than just getting the $10 harness that plugs right in. Seriously?? WTF is wrong with people???

Not only did they make a stupid decision to splice rather than just plug in a plug and play harness, but they did it all with stupid scotchlok connectors...and apparently those were starting to become too fat all bundled close together so for the brown (running lamp) wire, they ran a separate wire by itself over to the license plate light harness!

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Water Leg Human body Asphalt Grey

Not really sure yet how I'm going to fix these. They did these splices so close to the connector that I'm not sure I really have enough room to splice on new wires. I'm considering crimping on a 6-pin deutsch DT connector, but I hate that going that route will inevitably take the truck away from the ability to have a factory harness be plugged in. I don't really have room to crimp on butt splices or solder because all of these splices were tied in right where the loom needs to make it's 90 degree turn down to the frame clip. Really not sure what I'm going to do. To make matters worse, these wires all quickly die into the large loom that feeds the whole rear of the truck, so I don't have much room to go up the harness to start with fresh wire unless I start untaping all of it and I really don't want to do that. Sigh.

As for the license plate harness I'll probably just buy a new one so I don't have to mess with it. I went ahead and cut the brown wire short and heat shrunk the end of it, but I want it to look proper and a new harness for $20 is the easiest way to do that.

Seriously people, if you aren't going to do a good job on electrical, then don't f***ing touch it. Crap like this causes electrical nightmares for people down the road when this inevitably corrodes, falls apart, shorts out, causes failures, etc. Electrical work needs some good tools and extensive know how to be done properly.

All of this could have been prevented with a simple plug and play $10-20 harness. Idiots.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts