Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did a drain/fill on the rear diff, only to notice some large metal chunks in there.

Finally got the dealer to look at it today, and they said the gears in there are shredded and will need replacement.

The dealer quoted me over $3k to put a new rear axle on, which seems absolutely crazy to do on a 12 year old truck. It includes new brakes, calipers, shocks etc. This seems overkill.

A local shop offered to rebuild for roughly $1600. Including new gears, bearings etc.

I should just have it rebuilt correct? It seems stupid to pay double that amount on a new rear.

....also how common of an issue is this on a c200k axle?. I had a rear axle seal blow a few months ago, and fixed it, not sure of that could have causes this damage. I don't off-road or get it submerged in water or anything.

·
Super Moderator
10,767 Posts
Is the vent cap on the axle loose or bound in place? It may not have been venting, my trucks vent was stuck with only a few thousand miles on it. Replacing wheel to wheel does get you new everything but the dealers prefer that as it makes them more $$$$. I think it can be even less costly than you were quoted by calling driveline shops.

Clint

·
Registered
372 Posts
Recently did a drain/fill on the rear diff, only to notice some large metal chunks in there.

Finally got the dealer to look at it today, and they said the gears in there are shredded and will need replacement.

The dealer quoted me over $3k to put a new rear axle on, which seems absolutely crazy to do on a 12 year old truck. It includes new brakes, calipers, shocks etc. This seems overkill.

A local shop offered to rebuild for roughly $1600. Including new gears, bearings etc.

I should just have it rebuilt correct? It seems stupid to pay double that amount on a new rear.

....also how common of an issue is this on a c200k axle?. I had a rear axle seal blow a few months ago, and fixed it, not sure of that could have causes this damage. I don't off-road or get it submerged in water or anything.
I would rebuild it myself. I have rebuilt 3 or 4 over the years, GM, with a good service manual, should be fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Did you ever replace your diff/axle tube vent? Some dissent that replacing the 1-way valve with a threaded nippel and vent hose doesn't stop the axle seals from leaking. However most have shown (and science supports) that you need to replace the 1-way vent with a proper breather.
As to new axle or rebuilt... Rebuilt. $1600 seems a bit steep if they're going with OEM open carrier but not being there I can't say for sure what all got lunched. The Axle shafts and carrier should be useable but bearings, gearset and seals all should be replaced. anything outside of the axle tubes should not be part of the rebuild cost.
I'd expect $3-500 to do a re-gear and pattern. maybe another $1-200 for pressing the bearings&seals onto the axles and assembling them into the tube...

Now if they are including an ARB locker or a Detroit TruTrack, then that is not a bad deal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies.

I have not ever really looked at the breather. I know of the vent breather mod, but I thought that applied more to the m226 rear end, and not the c200k. But lesson learned and I will perform the mod on it when I get it back.

I told the dealer I was going to have it rebuilt instead and that I would pick it up, and they came back and offered to do the job for $23XX for a new rear end, with new calipers and brakes (comes with the unit, I tried to see if they could do the Axle without).

I then ended up with going for a new unit.

It brought the difference a lot closer for me, considering the diagnostic fee I would have been charged, needing new rear brakes anyway, and having to get a rental car for a week or so for a local shop to do it. They will have it fixed end of day tomorrow so.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll update when it's been fixed

·
Super Moderator
10,767 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Clint

1 - 9 of 9 Posts