Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. First off, im new to forum life, this is my first thread, so please be patient.

Need Help!! Story goes as such (may get a little long)...

06 CC LE.
I recently had some problems with my truck. Did some snow wheelin with a buddy round new years. About a week after said fun, truck developed a very small and quick hesitation while at hwy speed, and the SES light would blink. About another week after noticing the hesitation, truck started to feel as tho it was a little low on power. After another week it eventually got to the point where the truck had lost all power on the way home one nite, leaving me to do 25km/h for 2hrs to get home. At this point the SES light was on solid no blinking. So... Took truck into friend who then scanned for codes. Got a P0300 (random or multiple misfire) and a P0430 (catalyst problem). Him and i then decided that it was probably a plugged cat. I then made an appointment at the best (and one of few in Winnipeg, Manitoba) exhaust shop near me to have the cats changed. After finding out Nissan wants $680 canadian for one cat, i decided that it would be more cost efficient (and cool) to have 2 hi flow cats replace the front cats, delete the secondaries and make me a new Y pipe. All of which cost me $100 more than buying 1 cat from Nissan. After the exhaust was done it still had a real bad hesitation so i took it to my mechanic. He found that one of the spark plugs was toast, so he changed it free of charge for me. He also mentioned that he pulled a code, P0430, and that it was a result of the hi flow cat work the shop had done. I didn't worry too much as i have read on here before that cat delete can result in throwing codes. On with the issues. After having plug changed truck ran good again. But...a few days after, i noticed i was burning about a litre of oil every other day. So, took it to Nissan who did a code check and other various inspections for me. Nissan said that i indeed was burning oil as they could see blue smoke from exhaust. Took truck home, still ran good tho. 2 days later after leaving a friends place, i'm doin hwy speed and all of a sudden like the flick of a switch, motor starts rattling (knocking) like a SOB. Loud as hell. Couldn't even hear my exhaust loud!!! The sound is similar to the typical kinda lifter tick that i've read is normal on these motors, only a hundred times louder.

SO....... Any thoughts would be appreciated, as i am now in the process of either 1) looking for a used motor (Nissan quoted me $10k for a new one) OR 2) rebuild the motor in my truck.

Im sorry this was a long read. And im not too sure what i expect to get as far as advice or thoughts, but im just really hurtin over this and any thoughts, solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx to all in advance.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
when you went wheeling was their any water involved. if so might have light hydrolocked it ie water into the intake and motor

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I am guessing you are the second owner.

Sound like the oil was never changed and the oil has slugged.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OH. There was alot of snow involved. 5 acre field perfectly smooth, with about a foot and a half worth of fresh powder. We just went a playin, nothin to serious either, some huge donuts, etc.. And i did forget til just now, that i did have to clean some snow and ice outa my airfilter. Its a habit i got into to check my airflter after every wheelin. My buddies last titan was bad for sucking s**t up, so it made me paranoid.

Mike: Yes i am the second owner. And ever since the day i bought it i just had this bad feeling that i bought some other dudes headaches. I did after all buy it at a ford dealer. I have had it just over a year now and i am anal about oil changes. I change oil roughly every month as i live outta town and put on roughly 55k Kms a year.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Irongrave and Idleone: Hydrolocked ehh? i just locked up my mini bike like that last summer (no relevance). If it did hydrolock, is that something that would completly seize a motor? Or just until it blows out the rings?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Irongrave and Idleone: Hydrolocked ehh? i just locked up my mini bike like that last summer (no relevance). If it did hydrolock, is that something that would completly seize a motor? Or just until it blows out the rings?
Hydro locking is when water get inside the cylinder and the pistons hit the water and shoves the water to the valves and head... Or something like that... I know after I sucked water into the intake of my boosted Civic the first thing that was recommended was to change the plugs. I guess if you let something like this go on without proper maintenance afterwards can lead to problems. Like going thru a **** ton of water and not changing your diff fluids afterwards..

Oh and to answer your question I suppose it matters the amount of water gets in

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
when I hydrolocked my toyota i bent a rod and the piston smacked the head. all ended up in pieces when we pulled the head, dont think it was that much water, just enough to bend a valve or 2

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What did the dealer check? Did they do a compression test? Removed the valve cover? drain the oil?

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
I know of a 7.3 Powerstroke diesel that was running when a thief drove it into a creek. It ended up with a couple of bent connecting rods. Our boss decided not to let the dealer repair the engine and restore the warranty. Within two weeks one of the bent rods broke. It busted the block and knocked the starter off. I guess you can say that engine was destroyed. The block was toast as well as the transmission adapter plate.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The noise you heard was definitely a bent piston rod. Like I said best bet is to call your insurance company and tell them you drove into some snow/water. Should be a covered legit claim. I am worried about the “wheeling story though.” Call them and good luck :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Im with idle on this one, just say you drove home in a snow storm or something of that sort, the less you pretend to know the better off you are.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mike: I had taken it to the dealer to have some codes cleared after my mechanic had changed the bad spark plug. Not that my mechanic couldn't do it, he cleared them but later that same day, the SES went on again. It was at that point i broke down and decided to take it to nissan. I told Nissan that all i wanted was the codes that came up, on a proper print out, and a little side note from the tech on what they thought. I've been screwed by the Nissan dealer here before for work i didn't approve so i didn't want it happening for something easy, again.
They did however go above what i asked and did a quick service check of the whole truck. Fluids, diffs, oil, told me i had a bad airbag satellite sensor (i think thats what its called) and did an oil change. All without asking me, but, this time they didn't rob me. They did however include an odd number on the service sheet that at first appeared to be a part number. 998982. after looking a little closer i realized it wasn't a part number, it was the price of a new motor!!! And that canadian too!!! Are they retarded??? whose gona pay 10k for a new motor when they only paid 19k for the truck. Other than that they told me it was burning oil, which i already knew! No comp test. No valve cover removal.

sorry for the long answers.

Sorry. Forgot to thank everybody else for their thinkin power.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
have you checked the oil since it locked up if so how much was still in it and what did it look like. i would say that chances are you've only really been getting oil into the cyl that had the bad spark plug. oil in the right amounts getting into a cyl will foul out a spark plug in no time which will cause misfire codes as it starts to sometimes fire and sometimes not and once bad enough the ecu will put you into limp mode so as to limit damage while letting you still drive somewhere very slow. then if i read right you took it to your buddy and he changed the spark plug and everything ran good just burning oil. i would even suspect that the cat related codes you got were from the burning of the oil throwing off the readings of O2 sensors seeing way too much carbon and what not in the exhaust. so your losing a liter of oil every other day you go to nissan they don't really tell ya much other than the price of a new motor and that your burning oil probably because they really want you to leave it with them for a day and pay for a really proper check up, putting the motor price to kind of scare you into it type of thing. the exact on off switch one second fine the other is knocking like crazy is exactly how my friends z was when i locked up his motor (06 z with oil consumption) due to severely low oil level. noise so loud we couldn't even hear each other and as soon as i put the clutch in it died. the burning of the oil sounds like it was getting rapidly worse and i bet the motor seized up from lack of oil. as to what caused the oil problem i couldn't say, plenty of things could have caused it but i'd say the motor seized up and only good as a paper weight now. i would say that if a compression test would have been done it would have been seen that the cyl that fouled the plug had lower than normal compression and this possibly could have been avoided, hate to say it but you may want to start motor shopping. andy is selling the motor that he took out of his frontier when he did the titan swap. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f13/frontier-parts-54954/ even if you drove here from canada and picked it up it would be much cheaper than the dealership.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
have you checked the oil since it locked up if so how much was still in it and what did it look like. i would say that chances are you've only really been getting oil into the cyl that had the bad spark plug. oil in the right amounts getting into a cyl will foul out a spark plug in no time which will cause misfire codes as it starts to sometimes fire and sometimes not and once bad enough the ecu will put you into limp mode so as to limit damage while letting you still drive somewhere very slow. then if i read right you took it to your buddy and he changed the spark plug and everything ran good just burning oil. i would even suspect that the cat related codes you got were from the burning of the oil throwing off the readings of O2 sensors seeing way too much carbon and what not in the exhaust. so your losing a liter of oil every other day you go to nissan they don't really tell ya much other than the price of a new motor and that your burning oil probably because they really want you to leave it with them for a day and pay for a really proper check up, putting the motor price to kind of scare you into it type of thing. the exact on off switch one second fine the other is knocking like crazy is exactly how my friends z was when i locked up his motor (06 z with oil consumption) due to severely low oil level. noise so loud we couldn't even hear each other and as soon as i put the clutch in it died. the burning of the oil sounds like it was getting rapidly worse and i bet the motor seized up from lack of oil. as to what caused the oil problem i couldn't say, plenty of things could have caused it but i'd say the motor seized up and only good as a paper weight now. i would say that if a compression test would have been done it would have been seen that the cyl that fouled the plug had lower than normal compression and this possibly could have been avoided, hate to say it but you may want to start motor shopping. andy is selling the motor that he took out of his frontier when he did the titan swap. http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f13/frontier-parts-54954/ even if you drove here from canada and picked it up it would be much cheaper than the dealership.
^^^FINALLY, FLASHING SES IS YOURE DRIVING UNDER CONDITIONS SEVERE ENOUGH TO CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE, (GENERALLY MISIFRES SEVERE ENOUGH TO CAUSE CAT DAMAGE, WHICH IT DID...ITS TO GET YOUR ATTENTION AND QUIT DRIVING, YOU DIDNT, SO YOU TOASTED CATS) THEN YOU PUT NEW CATS IN WITHOUT FIXING WHAT CAUSE THE ORIGINALS TO FAIL, SO NOW THE NEW ONES OR AT LEAST THE ONE ON THAT SIDE IS GONNA HAVE TO BE CHANGED AGAIN. YOU WONT THROW CODES WITH HI FLO CATS, THEY STILL CLEAN ENOUGH TO NOT SET CODES UNLESS YOU DAMAGE THEM TOO. YOU PROBOBLY BROKE/COLLAPSED AN OIL RING AND OR TORCHED A HOLE IN A PISTON. CAN HAPPEN ON FREEREVING WHEN YOU BRING THE ENGINE UP ON THE REV LIMITER FAST LIKE WHEN YOU WHERE DOING DONUTS. THE REV LIMITER SHUTS OFF FUEL(LEAN) TO LIMIT RPM. ALSO A TOAST PLUG DOESNT TELL ME ANYTHING, WAS IT OIL FOULED, OR COLLAPSED ELECTRODE WHICH CAN HAPPEN FROM FORIEGN OBJECT DAMAGE LIKE A PIECE OF PISTON WHICH IS WHAT HAPPENED TO MINE AN SEXTERRAS, ALTHOUGH HE MANAGED TO TORCH 4 PISTONS, ONE YOU COULD SEE PAST THE PISTON INTO THE OIL PAN. IF YOU WANT TO REPLACE THE PISTON ROD ASSEMBLY, ILL SEND YOU ONE OF MY OLD ONE( 1 OF THE 5 GOOD ONES) JUST PAY SHIPPING TO CANADA EH...OR GET ANDYS MOTOR AND BE DONE. YOU CAN ALSO CLAIM ON INSURANCE IF YOU WHERE STUCK IN THE SNOW AND TRYING TO GET OUT CAUSED ALL YOUR PROBLEMS.:wtf:
....WHAT ROAD ARE YOU GONNA CHOOSE??????

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had something similiar. But I was not burning oil.....I had a flashing Check engine light. On the highway aka for me back road the light would go out....Stop at a stop sign light would flash than come on solid...get the timing up light would flash than go out.....Than it started ticking through the intake mostly on the passenger side........I did not drive it to work...I took it to Nissan dealership....They never ran into this problem before.....I was with them for 1 hour figuring out the issue....Finally they decided to change a electronic sensor on the intake...These adjust the timing of the truck......Change this part it got rid of the misfire, clog cat and several other codes.........Also the temp of the truck went up.....Im at work now I will get the name of the part once I get home tonight sometime.......

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds like a ton of heartache in here, lol. I am also leaning more towards hydrolocked as well, but if it was not taken care of, it could be much worse now.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brutal: Hi. My mechanic friend didn't really notice anything major about the spark plug. He did say the gap looked a little on the closed side, but he said he had to swap the plugs around with others on the truck to try and indentify which one it was that failed. And i think i am going to try and go the insurance claim route. I have yet to contact them, but seems to me to be the best solution. Maybe they'll write 'er off.

And I just want YOU and everybody else to know all your ideas are greatly appreciated, and have definetly helped me in my decision making.

You guys f**kin amaze me with your knowledge of vehicles.

Colin123: I did check the oil the very same night it died on me. which was the same day nissan did the check for me. It was at proper level, maybe even the littlest bit over the top mark on dipstick (I seem to have problems with getting acurate readings off my dipstick. Its too flimsy, and tough to re-insert). As for condition of the oil, it seemed to be alrite. No metal bits, no moisture, colour was decent. However it did seem to smell a little excesively of exhaust.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
got ya, yeah your description of its last moments running led me to that idea. oil starvation is most likely not the cause of death in the end though there are other way a motor can get starved of oil with still having good level. in some situations oil can become foamy and foamy oil doesn't flow through and lube up an engine very well. let us know what you find if you tear into it, hope for the best expect the worst.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm on the cracked ring or broken ring landing...

I find it hard to believe snow would have been able to pass enough moisture through an air filter to hydrolock an engine though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts