Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the truck finally gave up on me Friday. Was towing the boat when it happened. That sucked. 265k miles on it, so it owes me nothing.

For the past year or so I've been having to add coolant to keep it from overheating. No leaks though, and no coolant in the oil (although it's been burning about 2 quarts per 5k-7k oil change). Well, coming back from the lake with the boat, it had been running a bit warm then would cool down, then warm again. Really annoying! Fillled the coolant before we left too.

Well, check engine light started flashing, then really bad knocking/banging from the engine and wouldn't go faster than 20mph. Did this for about 100 yards and shut off. I coasted into a gas station. The coolant was spewing out the radiator cap and smoke/steam from the engine bay. Engine will turn over but won't start. No knocking when turning it over though.

So...my gut says blown headgasket spewing coolant into cylinders (codes show misfire on 4, 5, and 6).

Drained the oil (1000 mile Mobil 1) and it was black as hell, funny smell, but doesn't appear to have any coolant in it.

So...I guess next step is to pull the oil pan to visually check the bottom end. Then pull the plugs, use a scope to check the combustion chamber, and maybe check compression.

Pretty sure it's done though. So it's parked and I have my eyes peeled for a wrecked 07+ Titan 4x4 with less than 100k miles for a good deal.

·
Registered
338 Posts
well 265k miles and you tow with it so I personally wouldn't be too disappointed. She lived a long life. Sure would be great if these lasted forever but it's just not possible. I hope to hit 200k. Good luck with the Titan swap!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've never had a complaint from the 4 Nissan V6s I've had, congrats on your 265k and good luck with the swap!

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
265k for sure is nothing to be ashamed of thats awesome for these motors.
good luck on the vk swap! they are essentially plug and play these days, its my plan with mine when it finally blows.

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
ONLY 265,000 miles? I'd call Nissan and complain ::grin::
Good luck on your project and keep us up to date on it.
If you found another 4.0 with low miles would you just put that in?

Clint

·
Registered
235 Posts
265 miles? Damn, there is hope of me getting a half million km outta my truck. Might as well Titan swap the front end while you're at it. Fr-itan builds make my pants tight

·
Registered
358 Posts
My plan in the next few years is to get a high mileage CCLB 4x4 and make it a Fritanier. If you are having to replace the motor, might as well go big

1 - 7 of 7 Posts