Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Blower Fan Runs all the time when engine is started with no AC.

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WWB 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 Frontier with the 2.5L engine. I was doing some checking for a ignition ground wire for installing a voltage meter. I hit a wire and had a very small spark. I didn’t think anything of it, but now my fan runs on high all the time and none of the dashboard controls work. No AC, no adjusting where it blows (inside or outside air, defrost location, etc.) Any ideas would be helpful. I have done the following in trying to troubleshoot this problem:
1. Checked fuses - all ok
2. Replaced the blower resistor

#2 · (Edited)
You have to be careful poking around wires. Touch the wrong one and you can fry one of the many computers on the truck, and that can get very expensive. The thing that has the knobs and buttons on it for controlling the heat and A/C is actually a little computer called the Front Air Control. If it isn't working I'm guessing it's damaged.

When it's partially functioning you can put it into a self-diagnostic mode:

1. Press the OFF switch.
2. Press the FLOOR/DEF and DEF mode switches together and release them.
3. Press the REC to enter self diagnostic mode.

It will then show a diagnostic code on the ambient temperature display area. If you can make this work and get a code, let me know and I'll look it up in the factory service manual.

Turn ignition switch to OFF to exit out of self-diagnostic mode.

My recommendation at this point is to take it to a mechanic to confirm. If he has to replace the Front Air Control, it's at least a few hundred dollars for the part plus the time for him to install it.

#5 ·
Hi Mr. Anderson,
I've checked the blower resistor, its not the problem. I found the problem to be an obscure fuse that runs a lot of things, kind of a master fuse on the right side of the glove box. It is not labeled AC or anything like that, but it controls several things, AC being one of them. I replaced that and all is well. I posted in an earlier response to another gentleman who also offered a suggestion, a video I found on YouTube that guided me to the fuse. I found it after hours of researching things on line and in my truck. One of the suggestions was the blower resistor, which I swapped out and it made no change to my problem. I hope you have a great day, and thank you for taking the time to reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.