Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,110 Posts
All the trucks that are on the dealer lots have block heaters already install and it may have happened during the PDI. As a former Toyota tech when we did the pdi the block heaters were installed at the same time. Customers paid for the heater and didn’t have the option to not have one because it was already installed.

Because I’m ordering the truck it will be interesting what the dealer does when I refuse it. If Nissan does install it at the factory, great, if not then I’ll install it myself after the truck arrives.
You need it, so I would just let them install it and have the warranty with it - my opinion. Canada has such a limited market that we often get options without a choice as it is easier to do the production run for the manufacturers. I'm a VW car guy and once while down at the port, the fellow was telling me that the entire Canadian Jetta run out of the Mexico plant was 4 days production; all cars come with heated seats - it isn't an option here. I could see the block heaters from Nissan being the same, considering the overall low sales volumes of the Frontier versus Tacoma. For years, the Canadian annual Frontier sales numbers were the same as the Tacoma's monthly sales here.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
My old dodge diesel came with the freeze plug style heater as standard equipment. I used it here in Az every winter whenever the temps got below 40F. It really helped the motor warm up quick so the cabin heater would start functioning much sooner. I wish my frontier came with one from the factory. I see them on the web for about 50 bucks.
40 degrees. That is the overnight/morning temp in the summer here.
I installed a heater on our subi outback years ago. Would save gas as it would allow the engine to reach operating temp sooner and get out of the cold start enrichment cycle. One thing I did was to plug the unit into an outlet timer, and start warming up the block 2 or 3 hours before we would leave in the morning. This way you weren't heating the block all night saving some electricity. A trick I learned from a ski area fleet manager.

·
Rogue Admin
14,110 Posts
I got a call from the dealer today and he confirmed that the block heater is install from the factory so they removed the $950 for the heater.
Good that they did reverse the charge, though they should have known prior. Being standard up here has been the norm since 2005 I believe.

·
Registered
508 Posts
About one or two nights a winter it gets down to minus 25 C without the windchill here and then i use my standard equipment Nissan block heater. For the rest of the winter synthetic 5W30 makes for easy cranking.

Reactions: White Wolf

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good that they did reverse the charge, though they should have known prior. Being standard up here has been the norm since 2005 I believe.
The sales guy is fairly new and the sales manager said the program they use to build and order the trucks defaults to charging out the heater. Most of the other models have to have the heater installed at the dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can confirm my Canadian SV came with an engine block heater installed as standard equipment. The cable was bundled next to the battery. The problem was, they bundled it with what looked like cheap scotch tape! I knew that tape was going to turn into sticky mess in a year so I quickly got rid of the tape and zip-tied the bundle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I can confirm my Canadian SV came with an engine block heater installed as standard equipment. The cable was bundled next to the battery. The problem was, they bundled it with what looked like cheap scotch tape! I knew that tape was going to turn into sticky mess in a year so I quickly got rid of the tape and zip-tied the bundle.
Thanks for confirming. You must not use the heater if you keep it tucked away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Did anyone buy the all weather floor mats from Nissan? They want $229 for mats but I’m not sure if that is just the front or include the rear.

·
Rogue Admin
14,110 Posts
Did anyone buy the all weather floor mats from Nissan? They want $229 for mats but I’m not sure if that is just the front or include the rear.
I can't speak about the new mats quality, but the Nissan All weather mats I bought new in my 2007 are the best quality mats I have ever owned. The things are stupid thick, not wearing through at all, hold water and dirt well, and the rear one is so heavy that it is easier to remove with two people. IF the new ones are similar - go for them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I can't speak about the new mats quality, but the Nissan All weather mats I bought new in my 2007 are the best quality mats I have ever owned. The things are stupid thick, not wearing through at all, hold water and dirt well, and the rear one is so heavy that it is easier to remove with two people. IF the new ones are similar - go for them.

Thanks for the reply. If the cost includes the rear mat I’ll go for it but if it’s only the front then I’ll get a set of weather techs which are suppose to be out very soon.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The Nissan all weather floor mats I got a couple years ago for my 2013 are great.

The weather techs I got for my late Vibe were pretty crappy and didnt even have the securing holes put in fir the plastic clip retainers. I could have bought better at Cabadian Tire for one quarter the price.

Reactions: Ruggybuggy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sure glad I'm down here in FLORIDA! Hadn't had an engine block heater since my 1981 Chevtte IZUZU DIESEL. And that was a must have living in the country in Connecticut back then. That heater was factory installed also by IZUZU/Chevrolet.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts