Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m shopping for a new Frontier and one dealer says all the 2022 Frontiers come with block heaters. The second dealer says that the heater is not installed and if you need one it’s $950 which includes labour. Who’s right?

I also wanted the simulated bead lock black rims on the SV. The website allows you to add them for $300 (Canada) to the total cost. One dealer says no problem and the other says the cost is $300 for each rim then you would have to pay to switch your tires over for a total cost of $1500.

·
Premium Member
2022 SV CC 4X4, Glacier White
190 Posts
I know that most Yota trucks sold in Canada have block heaters. Optional in the lower 48. Wouldn't be cost effective to put them on all Frontiers. A block heater for $950? I could see maybe $95 plus labor.......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that most Yota trucks sold in Canada have block heaters. Optional in the lower 48. Wouldn't be cost effective to put them on all Frontiers. A block heater for $950? I could see maybe $95 plus labor.......
About right at the dealership level. The block heater is a “wet” type heater so the coolant has to be dumped and some are in very tight places. Toyota block heaters are a dry install but they are still charging around $600 for the heater with labour. I’m a just retired Toyota tech.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I’m shopping for a new Frontier and one dealer says all the 2022 Frontiers come with block heaters. The second dealer says that the heater is not installed and if you need one it’s $950 which includes labour. Who’s right?

I also wanted the simulated bead lock black rims on the SV. The website allows you to add them for $300 (Canada) to the total cost. One dealer says no problem and the other says the cost is $300 for each rim then you would have to pay to switch your tires over for a total cost of $1500.
Pan heater I installed myself. 75 US dollars.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
493 Posts
I realize that you're in Canada so you're further north than the vast majority of us. Just in that alone. But I never put a block heater on anything until I lived above 10,000 ft in the Rockies, obviously besides diesels. With a newer vehicle like this do you feel that your environment actually requires a block heater? Not challenging you on this at all but I'm just curious about what kind of environment you're in. And inquiring to you and others on here what kind of environment you need to be in to require a block heater on a modern vehicle? Edit. Never mind you said -40 at night 3 weeks of the Year. Yep you need a block heater. Never mind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize that you're in Canada so you're further north than the vast majority of us. Just in that alone. But I never put a block heater on anything until I lived above 10,000 ft in the Rockies, obviously besides diesels. With a newer vehicle like this do you feel that your environment actually requires a block heater? Not challenging you on this at all but I'm just curious about what kind of environment you're in. And inquiring to you and others on here what kind of environment you need to be in to require a block heater on a modern vehicle? Edit. Never mind you said -40 at night 3 weeks of the Year. Yep you need a block heater. Never mind.
Leaving a quart of oil outside at -40F/C and the oil turns to a heavy syrup. Gear oil can be spooned out like ice cream.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Leaving a quart of oil outside at -40F/C and the oil turns to a heavy syrup. Gear oil can be spooned out like ice cream.
I hear you on that, in extreme temperatures, with or without elevation. (Obviously I accomplish. those same temperatures where I live through elevation.) it's crazy how stuff sets up like that. Never before in my life at noon the next day after a night like that would I think I would still send a rod shooting through a hood. LOL Those are the kind of environments I actually learned about what block heaters can actually do on gas engines, I had already learned about that stuff with diesels in lesser temps. The only time in my life that I've lived in places close to that cold were in South Park and Middle Park in Colorado. I grew up in Northern Ohio/ Southern Michigan where its plenty cold, but not like that at night. Definitely block heater situation during that cold time of year for you.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
About right at the dealership level. The block heater is a “wet” type heater so the coolant has to be dumped and some are in very tight places. Toyota block heaters are a dry install but they are still charging around $600 for the heater with labour. I’m a just retired Toyota tech.
I bought the Yota OEM block heater for my Tundra that was the same one used on the Canadian Yotas. $75. Took me maybe 30 minutes to put it on. I can see why a "wet" type heater would cost more. Several dealers in Anchorage and Fairbanks would install a block heater pad with heat/cold resistance adhesive for $150. Probably costs a bit more now. $150 is what the install cost in back in 2011/12. It never got below -20F in Anchorage while I was there but Fairbanks was hitting -45/-50 F for days on end it seemed. Folks running with diesels had to worry about clouding/gell point. I got the block heater to mainly keep the engine/oil warm.

OEM Tundra dry block heater.......
Coil Cable Jewellery Auto part Wire

Typical block heater pad. They come in various sizes depending on the application.....
Amber Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Bag

Power blankets were another option....
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

·
Registered
30 Posts

I was in the same boat for the Nissan Black wheels. Online build allowed to add all 4 wheels for 300$ but dealer wanted 300$ PER WHEEL and then noticed that they are back ordered for Canada.
I was walking away from the deal and they suggested I pick ANY wheel from their dealer catalogue for 300$ total (not per wheel) and got to keep the stock rims and tires. That was the selling point for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the Yota OEM block heater for my Tundra that was the same one used on the Canadian Yotas. $75. Took me maybe 30 minutes to put it on. I can see why a "wet" type heater would cost more. Several dealers in Anchorage and Fairbanks would install a block heater pad with heat/cold resistance adhesive for $150. Probably costs a bit more now. $150 is what the install cost in back in 2011/12. It never got below -20F in Anchorage while I was there but Fairbanks was hitting -45/-50 F for days on end it seemed. Folks running with diesels had to worry about clouding/gell point. I got the block heater to mainly keep the engine/oil warm.

Tundra dry block heater.......
View attachment 337342

Typical block heater pad. They come in various sizes depending on the application.....
View attachment 337343
Power blankets were another option....
View attachment 337344
The Toyota heater you are showing are the old style that Toyota doesn’t use any longer. There were some fires cause from them and there was a recall and they were replaced with a different heater. I see them popping up on EBay and wonder why they are still on the market. They wouldn’t work on the Nissan Frontier 3.8l because I was told the heater was a “wet” style heater.

I’ve decided that I’m going to skip the block heater purchase and see if the truck does come with the heater. If it does, great. If not them I’ll find a high wattage pan heater. A 1K block heater is a pretty big pill to swallow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was in the same boat for the Nissan Black wheels. Online build allowed to add all 4 wheels for 300$ but dealer wanted 300$ PER WHEEL and then noticed that they are back ordered for Canada.
I was walking away from the deal and they suggested I pick ANY wheel from their dealer catalogue for 300$ total (not per wheel) and got to keep the stock rims and tires. That was the selling point for me.
I’m going to place the order today and we will see what happens. If the wheels are back ordered I’m fine with waiting. They told me 3 to 5 months before it arrives but I would prefer to see it in the spring. A reason I also wanted the bead lock black wheels was that they assured me it would come with the Hankook Dyna Pro tires rather than the Michelin street tires. It’s the same wheel and tire combo used on the Pro4X and $300 would be a deal.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
You bought a Toyota block heater for your Frontier?
Of course not for a Frontier. For my Tundra. I only posted the pic for reference as to the type block heater I used at the time and to focus on the "low cost" involved only. The Canadian block heater recall only affected block heaters installed on 16 to 18 model years. Defective power cords. Changing suppliers to save a buck sometimes doesn't work out to well. The pic I posted was a generic one I found since I no longer have my Tundra and is almost identical in appearance. I bought my block heater in 2011 so would no be part of that recall. I posted the heat pad and PowerBlanket pics as a possible alternative to spending $950 on the "wet" option. All depends on use, application, and budget. The heat pads were pretty much ubiquitous in AK and will be putting one on my Frontier.(y)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course not for a Frontier. For my Tundra. I only posted the pic for reference as to the type block heater I used at the time and to focus on the "low cost" involved only. The Canadian block heater recall only affected block heaters installed on 16 to 18 model years. Defective power cords. Changing suppliers to save a buck sometimes doesn't work out to well. The pic I posted was a generic one I found since I no longer have my Tundra and is almost identical in appearance. I bought my block heater in 2011 so would no be part of that recall. I posted the heat pad and PowerBlanket pics as a possible alternative to spending $950 on the "wet" option. All depends on use, application, and budget. The heat pads were pretty much ubiquitous in AK and will be putting one on my Frontier.(y)
Understood. The revised Toyota heater was also a different heating element as well. The wattage was reduced and a new and completely different cord design was used. It was a goofy recall because they first made us change just the cords. I guess they were still having issues because part two of the recall about 8 months later we had to change the complete heater with power cords.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Understood. The revised Toyota heater was also a different heating element as well. The wattage was reduced and a new and completely different cord design was used. It was a goofy recall because they first made us change just the cords. I guess they were still having issues because part two of the recall about 8 months later we had to change the complete heater with power cords.
I like what @ Mikviking did with his heat pad posted ^^^. I don't need one here in Denver but do go to my off grid property and can get quite chilly.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,113 Posts
My Canadian Frontier came with a block heater - they all did back in the day; I can't say the new 2022's are the same as a lot of manufacturers are always looking for cost cutting measures. Block heaters were stock on all Canadian trucks at one time and not even available in the US, including the parts from a dealer. I actually bought the parts and shipped them south for a few members.

Are you able to go and look at a few new models at a dealer? If so, put your hand down in front of the battery (tight fit) as the factory usually bundles the block heater wire up there - you need to cut the zap strap and run it to the front yourself. I rarely use mine here on the West Coast, but will do such when/if it gets below -15c, just to better protect the engine on that initial start-up from thick oil.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Canadian Frontier came with a block heater - they all did back in the day; I can't say the new 2022's are the same as a lot of manufacturers are always looking for cost cutting measures. Block heaters were stock on all Canadian trucks at one time and not even available in the US, including the parts from a dealer. I actually bought the parts and shipped them south for a few members.

Are you able to go and look at a few new models at a dealer? If so, put your hand down in front of the battery (tight fit) as the factory usually bundles the block heater wire up there - you need to cut the zap strap and run it to the front yourself. I rarely use mine here on the West Coast, but will do such when/if it gets below -15c, just to better protect the engine on that initial start-up from thick oil.

All the trucks that are on the dealer lots have block heaters already install and it may have happened during the PDI. As a former Toyota tech when we did the pdi the block heaters were installed at the same time. Customers paid for the heater and didn’t have the option to not have one because it was already installed.

Because I’m ordering the truck it will be interesting what the dealer does when I refuse it. If Nissan does install it at the factory, great, if not then I’ll install it myself after the truck arrives.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My old dodge diesel came with the freeze plug style heater as standard equipment. I used it here in Az every winter whenever the temps got below 40F. It really helped the motor warm up quick so the cabin heater would start functioning much sooner. I wish my frontier came with one from the factory. I see them on the web for about 50 bucks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts