Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a Viper remote start installed in December by Visions (a BestBuy clone in western Canada). Works fine.

A few nights ago driving home (it was about -20C/-5F), and the lights on the head unit started flashing. The screen and dash were totally fine, just the backlighting on the buttons. You can see the video I made here:https://youtu.be/hQJdQxr-9hI

I took the truck into Nissan, and they could not find anything wrong with it or reproduce. They said the issue is likely remote starter. And I have to take it into Visions to get them to verify the install, before they will look any further. Pretty much exactly what I thought was going to happen.

I now have an appointment with Visions, but I am also sure Visions is going to say their install is fine.

Nissan said next step is for them to tear apart the dash, etc, but if they find the remote starter is the culprit, I am on the hook for the bill, and I will have to go after Visions. Which is fair enough.

I am wondering if it is even worth pursuing until it happens again. I know this is going to be a nightmare of finger pointing.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with their head unit blinking like this and what the solution was? It is almost like a fault photo sensor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had the exact same issue for the last two years or so on my 2014. For me, I would say it happens maybe one in one hundred times that I start the truck, and always only in very cold weather as well (I'm in Edmonton, so it was those same -20C type nights). I told the dealership about it, and they were unable to duplicate the issue and basically said there was nothing they could do unless it starts happening frequently enough that they can recreate it at the dealership, even though I also took a video of it and showed them.

I have a Solace remote start that was already installed by the previous owner when I bought the truck, so I never considered it as being an issue. Since the dealership basically said there was nothing they could do and it happens rarely, I haven't really worried about it. If it starts to happen often, I'll have to push harder I guess.

So, long story short, I have no advice, but I can confirm that you're not the only one with this issue :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?That is good to know? Confirming cold weather is a factor is nice. Seems like remote starter may be related. We need a few others to chime in to really confirm.

I'll just make damn sure it get dealt with on warranty. There is warranty on my remote start installation...

We are starting to warm up a bit, so I may have to deal with it next winter.

Funny thing is Nissan gave me a hard time about using a 3rd party for the remote starter. I said there is no Nissan Remote starter. They said yeah there is and gave me brochure. I said when did this come out? They said about a month ago. I saidI had this installed a 6 months ago, how was I supposed to know. They charge $954 + tx installed for a Nissan badged iDatalLink 2way. The same one I could have had installed at Visions for $450. Now if Visions did botch the install, then I'll have got what I paid for...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine does it on very rare occasion as well ( 3-4 times in past year ), no remote start, usually happens in the -2 - -10 C range. Haven't had the dealer look at it as it's hard to replicate. I know there's a maint menu for the stereo if you have the full colour screen, one of those pages is the voltage for the lights ( as controlled by the knob on the dash ) if you're able to maybe try and get into this maint page, and see if that voltage is going up and down, if it's staying steady then that would isolate the problem to the head unit.

Edit: link to maint pages

http://www.thenewx.org/forum#/topics/137873?page=1&_k=4u5nh3

·
Super Moderator
10,425 Posts
Did they solder all the connections?

Clint

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting about the maintenance page. I'll give that a whirl when I have time.

There one only one place they had to tap into, and they were able to use a plug.

Had visions go through everything, and do as many tests as they could. But hard for them to diagnose when it isn't doing it at the time.

So now I have to report back to Nissan, that Visions didn't find anything. That is good to know that is is happening to someone without a remote start too.

~S

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't have wiring diagrams in front of me to confirm this, but in theory, if it's just the head unit lights blinking, that should point all fingers to a head unit issue, and not a remote start install, due to the fact that if wiring was damaged during the install then hypothetically all of the dash lights would be blinking.

And IMHO coming from aviation, soldered wire splices are the worst way to go when wiring, I've seen too many automotive tutorial/ build videos of people soldering wires, and all they are doing is either plopping solder onto the iron and then dabbing it onto the wires, or some other improper way, and it's just creating a cold cold solder joint that is going to cause massive headaches down the road, best way to go is a good quailty environmental crimp splice done with the proper tooling.

If you must solder, the way to do it is, strip the wire, give it a quick twist to tighten the strands, clean it off with a blast of IPA, hold the iron tip at the base of the strip, and place the solder at the top, and let it flow to the iron, thus "tinning" the wire and allowing the foundation for a proper solder job. And then the best way I've found is create a small J hook on each side after you've tinned the wires, which creates a good solid bond, and gently crush each hook down on each other, hit it with the soldering iron on one edge and let the solder flow ( most important part, is letting solder flow ), and then cover it all with heat shrink. Added bonus points if you use a heat shrink that has glue inside

1 - 7 of 7 Posts