Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days back we had a thread going about the Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer. I had mentioned that I had just purchased the similar Blaupunkt THb-200A and promised a follow-up. Finally got some decient weather and spare time today so got it installed. Here are my first impressions.

What it is:
compact powered subwoofer
8" woofer with polypropylene cone
70 watts RMS amplifier (peak power: 140 watts)
variable low-pass filter (40-120 Hz)
phase switch control (0-180°)
frequency response: 30-120 Hz
preamp- and speaker-level inputs
9.8' power cable included ( doubled 16ga for power and ground)
10 amp fuse
spec dimensions: 14"W x 3-3/8"H x 8-15/16"D
dimentions as measured: 13.5" (at corners)/ 13.7/8" at center; 3" at flat top, 3.3" max @ speaker grill; 8.8"W

First impressions:
-Unit is nicely finished in matt black and has rounded corners / rolled edges that make it's spec dimentions a little misleading. (i.e. Easier to fit)
- Enclosure is heavy metal and well built.
-Wireing harness is a little weak (they use two power and two ground wires to make up for their thin (16) ga.) Still, it doesn't draw much juice.

The install:
Wow, that was easy!
The unit itself is sized right to fit under either front seat. It will actually fit sideways (i.e. long dimention across truck) under the passenger seat with room to clear. Best of all, it slid under the seat, from the rear, without even having to loosen the seat. A strip of industrial velcro (hook side) stuck to the bottom of the sub, seems to be enough (so far) to hold this heavy little sub in place on the carpet. The seat can slide back and forth with no problems/contact.
While I was tempted to tap the (low draw) power feed for this sub from my main amp connection ( 5 feet away on back bulkhead), I decided to splurge and ran a new 12 ga fused feed from the battery alongside my origional 8 ga amp feed to up under the dash. From there I continued the power feed and ran the RCA's (from back of head unit) down oposite sides of / under the console. (Thanks for the disassembly tips MSUbullyfan and others). From there, it was a short 8" fish under the carpet and out under the seat where the heat ducts come out. The (12ga) ground, returned into the console, under the cup holder where I used a convienient bolt to secure it. Invisable and SWEET!

How it sounds:
At first, I was bummed. I couldn't get any noteable sound from it! Then after some tweaking of the head unit and sub controls, I figured out, among other things, that the 200A's volume control needed to be at/near max (and then the output controlled from my HUs sub out level control) in order to get out over my 50w RMS/channel main system. ( There is no remote on this unit BTW. It's auto on/off.) 20 min latter, with filters/ crossovers, output levels and phase adjusted to taste, it sounded good. Actually, better than I had expected. ( BTW: It will even THUMP a little if I crank up the JVC's output above 6 of 8.) The added bass is clear and loud enough for my tastes. I can't comment on how well it produces in the all ranges but can say that it definatly adds new "depth" to the system.
Conclusions:
The ONLY downside I see to the 200A is that it could use more power than 70W RMS. I’m running it with it’s volume control @ max and JVCs sub output at 50-75% most of the time. IMHO, it’s adequate for systems running up to 50 W/CHNL but there is not allot of output adjustment left. I’m guessing it would get lost against a system with allot more amp than I’m running. Beyond that, I think it is a easy to install, inexpensive and slick fitting little unit. I can't say how it stacks up to the Kenwood ( or shallow component subs) so will not comment there at all. I do know it's definatly worth the $140 and 90 min install I have invested!

p.s. I was going to take pics but there just isn't much to show.
hth

Update: After owning the 200A for a few weeks I got used to it and had it maxed all the time. I loved the sound but decieded that I really did want more volume after all so I moved on. In hind sight, I think it's great for systems running off a head unit or lightly amped but maybe not up to the full 50W/Channel RMS as I origionally posted. Of course, I bore easily :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
What did you upgrade too? And would the Th 210A fit and where? Would that sub be enough power?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i believe he went with the kenwood SW1 or whatever the part number is. another member bought the 200 for a regular cab and he loves it from last i heard. as far as the 210, it wont fit under the seat like the 200 or the SW1. you could beat the seat pan into submission and maybe fit it under the rear seat but not sure how much damage you would have to do to the seat pan.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 210 isn't going to fit under any seat by my calculations. I JUST yesterday installed a Pioneer TS-SW841D 8" shallow sub in a custom box under my front passenger seat. The sub is in ( Tight but good fit!) , now I just have to find time to run a few new wires for my second/new amp. I'll post a review / details shortly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if OP hooked up the "hi level input" wires from the wiring harness? I just got his sub and have yet to hookup. Are those like the line level inputs that are used for OEM headunits or headunits without RCA inputs? Just making sure

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I ran RCA's right out of my aftermarket JVC HU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts