Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with Blakey Ridge Fire Trail that leads to Utz Hightop? I would like directions, terrain, difficulty level, and any points of interest along the way. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Despite the COVID-19 restrictions and lack of up-to-date information about Blakey Ridge Fire Trail, my son and I had great time this morning on the trail. We started the run from SR658/Ruth Rd outside of Madison, VA on Burnt Ridge Fire Trail. From Burnt Ridge FT, the trail transitioned to Blakey Ridge FT. We went by the antenna tower on Utz Hightop and shortly encountered a downed tree blocking the trail. I forgot to bring my chainsaw even though I promised myself to bring one on my Flagpole & Meadow Knob run. Luckily the tree was only about 10 inches in diameter. So we hooked up the chains and able to pull it to the side of the trail. About a mile or so we encountered another tree blocking the trail but bigger. After assessing the tree we determined that it was rotten and could be pulled away as before. Once again we hooked up the chains and pulled the tree from the road. Success! The remainder of the run was uneventful. We ended the run at the intersection of the Old Rapidan Rd, next to Shenandoah National Park. We took the time to air up back to highway pressures from 25 psi to 35 psi ending our time on the trail. We turned left on Old Rapidan Rd which eventually turned into Quaker Run Rd and eventually made our way back to US 29.

Overall, the trails were in good condition and pretty easy despite the downed trees. We didn't encounter anyone on the trail. There were about a dozen small mud/water puddles that were of no concern. I was able to test out my front Lokka that I installed a few weeks ago and it handled great. I'm glad that I installed it. The best thing about the trail run was that I was able to spend time with my son before he goes off to college. I guess I'm going to spending to be spending the rest of the Gov's stay-at-home orders buffing out the pin striping my truck received today.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts