Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I've had many black trucks before but this one scratches just looking at it! Anyone else having paint issues?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had a black Jetta that looked like hell after a year.

I've had two white vehicles in a row and although they get dirty easily, it's a different dirty.....if that makes sense.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the gen 2s have a very thin clear making the black truck issue worse. the turtle wax anti scratch stuff works well

·
Super Moderator
11,070 Posts
Nothing beats a clean new black truck.

Clint

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
my truck scratches pretty easily. particularly when it slides against rocks.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thats why I will never own a black vehicle. They look good clean and waxed, but that doesnt last long.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I feel ya. My truck's paint is completely covered with swirls and light scratches.... and I usually wash it once a week. Maybe it's the thin clear coat as IronGrave mentioned?? It seems every time I wash the pollen, dust and dirt off, there is another coat of swirl marks and random scratches...this paint definitely scratches a lot easier than my previous cars (midnight blue and black).

Hit the paint with an orbital buffer and some wax. It reduced the appearance of swirls by 75% on my paint. The scratches from all the mud and rocks flipping up are always going to be there, though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've just given up worrying about it. My truck is covered with swirls, scratches, chips dings etc. Still a fine looking truck! :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
its a truck, its supposed to have scratches :)

BTW this was the first weekend i owned my 2010, i had about 250 miles on the odo

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
my xterra before my frontier was black, it had tiny little scratches everywhere in the paint, even my silver frontier scratches pretty easily, just wax the best you can and don't sweat the rest

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Our 2006 Altima SE-R is black and guess who maintains it's appearance? Yep me.
Best thing you can do is hand wash it only (no automatic car washes unless they are the brushless kind).
Use a GOOD car wash soap, not the $2.99 a gallon stuff and a microfiber mitt or towel.
And don't skimp on soap when you fill up the bucket, that's what lets the mitt or towel glide over the paint and not drag.

From there all you can really do is keep it waxed and use compounds/polishes to remove anything you don't like in the paint when you find it.
It takes work, but black is a great color when it's clean:

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
and then pretty soon you move on from scratches, and dents become acceptable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts