Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in a super hurry today and didn't have time to hand wash my truck. Stopped at the best carwash in town and they got me nice and clean. Drove down the road to an appointment and when I got back in the truck I started driving down the road and noticed that a bird had dropped a load on my hood. I was heading to a softball game and was running late. By the time the game was over I grabbed a microfiber towel and tried to clean the bird poop off. The hot sun (90+) had hardened the poop. I sprayed it with some McGuires quick detailer and let it soak for a minute. The poop then wiped off. Unfortunately the acid in the poop appears to have damaged the clear coat. All in matter of about 3 hours! @!#&[email protected]! I've had bird poop lay on my truck for a few days and it came off without any scars. But this bird must have drank some nitric acid imediately before pooping on my truck because now there is damage. When I got home I took some warm soapy water and tried to clean it better. I never made any difference. I then took a clay bar and worked on it a bit. Still no difference.

What are my options now? Will a polish of some type fix this issue? I don't want to scratch it or anything. I've had my '05 for 4 years now and this is the first time bird crap has ever left a permanant scar. All after a measily 3 hours...........

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Actually, he drank nitric and sulfuric acid, and dropped a nitro-sh!t on your hood.

In all seriousness, try some Meguiars ScratchX 2.0. Buff the spot with the ScratchX and a microfiber towel. Use multiple applications if necessary. That stuff works wonders.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
when it comes to the birds, ive read that diluting it with a water-baking soda mix is the best way to go before wiping it off, to balance to ph and slow any negative reaction like you had. i think in your case it still would have been too late, but maybe it can save you in the future.

pics of the damage so we can see how bad and maybe come up with a better recommendation?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
We got some super sh*t in Cali too!
I've got a seagull "scar" on a fender that 3M microfinishing compound won't rub out... watching this one.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Was in a super hurry today and didn't have time to hand wash my truck. Stopped at the best carwash in town and they got me nice and clean. Drove down the road to an appointment and when I got back in the truck I started driving down the road and noticed that a bird had dropped a load on my hood. I was heading to a softball game and was running late. By the time the game was over I grabbed a microfiber towel and tried to clean the bird poop off. The hot sun (90+) had hardened the poop. I sprayed it with some McGuires quick detailer and let it soak for a minute. The poop then wiped off. Unfortunately the acid in the poop appears to have damaged the clear coat. All in matter of about 3 hours! @!#&[email protected]! I've had bird poop lay on my truck for a few days and it came off without any scars. But this bird must have drank some nitric acid imediately before pooping on my truck because now there is damage. When I got home I took some warm soapy water and tried to clean it better. I never made any difference. I then took a clay bar and worked on it a bit. Still no difference.

What are my options now? Will a polish of some type fix this issue? I don't want to scratch it or anything. I've had my '05 for 4 years now and this is the first time bird crap has ever left a permanant scar. All after a measily 3 hours...........
hmmmmmmmm bird **** soaks in and stains, notjust a surfae stain man. it sucks i know... a lot of ppl wont believe me when i tell em to clean the **** off it will stain.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stopped and picked up some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0. I tried it on the spot. It helped to some degree but did not totally fix the issue. Maybe I'll try reapplying it again. When I get time I'm gonna try applying it to some of the other small scratches on the truck. I was afraid to rub too hard with this stuff. Had those small abrasive things in there and it freaked me out a bit.

I assume I should re-wax after using that stuff?

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I stopped and picked up some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0. I tried it on the spot. It helped to some degree but did not totally fix the issue. Maybe I'll try reapplying it again. When I get time I'm gonna try applying it to some of the other small scratches on the truck. I was afraid to rub too hard with this stuff. Had those small abrasive things in there and it freaked me out a bit.

I assume I should re-wax after using that stuff?
You are correct, it has to be applied multiple times for deeper scratches/etchings. Bird doo actually etches your paint.

You can rub fairly hard. ScratchX has a diminishing abrasive. It starts out rough, but as you work it in, the abrasive breaks down and will begin to buff the paint. Start with a nickel sized drop on a microfiber cloth and really work it in for a while, then wipe the area clean with a dry area of the cloth. Then repeat.

Waxing is suggested afterwards, because you are essentially taking off a tiny amount of clearcoat and there won't be wax left there anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts