Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 707 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks, just thought id share my latest mod to the d40 4x4, or navara as its known on this side of the pacific :hi:

I got some bilstein 5100 levelling shocks from greg at PRG and fitted them with 1.5in HD lift springs instead of the original springs. The results were rather unexpected but very interesting and welcome none the less so i thought id share this as i know you will be interested in this.

I used the 2nd from the bottom ring on the shock body to mount the spring cup which is supposed to result in 0.5 inches of suspension lift over OEM with stock springs. I figured with 1.5in lift springs i would end up around 2inchs overall but for some reason i got about 3inches overall. The reason this is interesting is that i now have 3inches of front suspension lift with NO COIL BUCKET CONTACT due to the levelling shocks not increasing the suspension droop like a spacer setup does. :fantastic:

Even more interesting, is that ive only used the second from bottom ring on the shocks so there is another 3 notches above this that could provide even further lift however i will not be trying this as im already having wheel alignment problems even with the cam bolts i have.

Bang for buck, the bilstein shocks with lifted coil springs is hard to beat IMHO, much better option than spacers. The ride quality is better than standard, not what id call brilliant but still a noticeable improvement for everyday off roading. Anyone else done this?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
looked at both options separate but never thought of putting them together, very nice

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hi there folks, just thought id share my latest mod to the d40 4x4, or navara as its known on this side of the pacific :hi:

I got some bilstein 5100 levelling shocks from greg at PRG and fitted them with 1.5in HD lift springs instead of the original springs. The results were rather unexpected but very interesting and welcome none the less so i thought id share this as i know you will be interested in this.

I used the 2nd from the bottom ring on the shock body to mount the spring cup which is supposed to result in 0.5 inches of suspension lift over OEM with stock springs. I figured with 1.5in lift springs i would end up around 2inchs overall but for some reason i got about 3inches overall. The reason this is interesting is that i now have 3inches of front suspension lift with NO COIL BUCKET CONTACT due to the levelling shocks not increasing the suspension droop like a spacer setup does. :fantastic:

Even more interesting, is that ive only used the second from bottom ring on the shocks so there is another 3 notches above this that could provide even further lift however i will not be trying this as im already having wheel alignment problems even with the cam bolts i have.

Bang for buck, the bilstein shocks with lifted coil springs is hard to beat IMHO, much better option than spacers. The ride quality is better than standard, not what id call brilliant but still a noticeable improvement for everyday off roading. Anyone else done this?

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!!
Also how much did this cost?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I have to agree w/ the OP. Mine are set to .5" w/ OME608 HD Coils and picked up 3"...

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!!
Also how much did this cost?
~$360 depending on which coils and where you get your shocks...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i was just about to ask if anyone had done this with the ome coils

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have to agree w/ the OP. Mine are set to .5" w/ OME608 HD Coils and picked up 3"...

~$360 depending on which coils and where you get your shocks...

Wow, that's a great price! Now that price is just for the front coils? And where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the ome coils are 150 for a pair and you can get the adjustable bils for 200 a pair on shock warehouse

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the more i look into this the more i like the sound of it, sure you can do some icon, king, or radflos up front with an aftermarket uca and gain a little more down travel but for the wheeling i do this is sounding like the perfect set up for the front and then possibly the ome md leaf pack for the rear for 200 and a set of 5125 bils set up for 2-4 in of lift from prg for 190 plus the ac shackles i already have laying around should give me up to 3in lift up front and 2.5-3 in the rear for a total of around 750 ish. i'm really liking that price especially since its made up of all quality products

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So you need to get both??? Dont the adjustable bils come with coil springs on them already?
nope, just the strut and normally what you would do is put your stock coils from the factory struts on the bils.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Wow, that's a great price! Now that price is just for the front coils? And where did you get them?
~$150 From Rugged Rocks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah you'd need a spring compressor and basically there is a piston rod lock nut on the top that holds the shaft to the top of the shock assembly. with the spring compressed take that nut off and you can pull that top mounting plate off and then the spring can come off

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
yeah you'd need a spring compressor and basically there is a piston rod lock nut on the top that holds the shaft to the top of the shock assembly. with the spring compressed take that nut off and you can pull that top mounting plate off and then the spring can come off
That's a 10-4! Now one last thing before I go get them right now... Where is the best place to get something like this, online or at a suspension shop like midus, or even a auto parts store like pep boys?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Glad to see a few people are doing this. So much better for your truck then spacers.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Glad to see a few people are doing this. So much better for your truck then spacers.
Your 2 cents on..... Where is the best place to get something like this, online or at a suspension shop like midus, or even a auto parts store like pep boys?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If you want to get both the OME coils and the bilsten adjustable shocks from one place then it would be rugged rocks or Automotive Customizers.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if your talking about the spring compressor you can buy or do the loan-a-tool at autozone. with the loan-a-tool you buy a used one from them then get your money back when you bring the tool back although sometimes if you loose your receipt the loan-a-tool ends up becoming an own-a-used-tool service lol. bought a ball joint separator like that heh.

If you want to get both the OME coils and the bilsten adjustable shocks from one place then it would be rugged rocks or Automotive Customizers.
i guess it does make more sense that he was probably asking about that and not the spring compressor lol

i plan to shop around and find the best price i can get on the bils since i've already looked at 3 different places online that have them and i've seen a variance of $50 in price. seems like the coils best price is $75 per coil (150 for the pair) that i've found but i haven't been looking for long.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Contact them both. Both companies are run by great Nissan guys and maybe one of them would be willing to do a package deal.

Mike or Jane at AC. Steve at Rugged.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was thinking about getting some spacers soon for 3" lift for my pro-4x....so this seems it would be better? Would I still need new UCAs?!! If not, this is awesome

1 - 20 of 707 Posts