Nissan Frontier Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
You guys are really overthinking this.

The washer in this particular instance will do the same job both ways. Like @mtyler said, it's not a big concern which way the washers are facing as long as there is a washer above and below the rubber isolator.

If the washer wasn't there at all then there would be a big issue - but that's a totally different situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You guys are really overthinking this.

The washer in this particular instance will do the same job both ways. Like @mtyler said, it's not a big concern which way the washers are facing as long as there is a washer above and below the rubber isolator.

If the washer wasn't there at all then there would be a big issue - but that's a totally different situation.
No, not overthinking in my opinion. The problem is most doing the install would come here or there to get information and (not knowing) see all the humdrum about the washer in the first place (hence this thread) and then get even more confused when things dont line up in terms of information. Some say this...some say that...some pics show this... some pics show that...
Unfortunately the interweb has abundant resources...and lots of mistakes. I really appreciate all the info this site has because this is the first frontier I have owned and like to get my ducks in a row before jumping in.

If it doesnt matter which way put it, someone will come search the thread and read it through before installing and see someone like yourself who is presumably a suspension expert, or at least been around the block a time or two and see a post from you or someone saying "it doesnt matter which way the washer goes" and then be relieved. So you already helped someone :cool:
So its all good! overthinking or not.

My next question, since I have done the install, is (AND I HAVE READ THE STICKY) is for those that have the 2012's did they end up needing to install a camber bolt or did it align just fine without...because the interweb has info both ways. But if I dont need to spend the money

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
No, not overthinking in my opinion. The problem is most doing the install would come here or there to get information and (not knowing) see all the humdrum about the washer in the first place (hence this thread) and then get even more confused when things dont line up in terms of information. Some say this...some say that...some pics show this... some pics show that...
Unfortunately the interweb has abundant resources...and lots of mistakes. I really appreciate all the info this site has because this is the first frontier I have owned and like to get my ducks in a row before jumping in.

If it doesnt matter which way put it, someone will come search the thread and read it through before installing and see someone like yourself who is presumably a suspension expert, or at least been around the block a time or two and see a post from you or someone saying "it doesnt matter which way the washer goes" and then be relieved. So you already helped someone :cool:
So its all good! overthinking or not.

My next question, since I have done the install, is (AND I HAVE READ THE STICKY) is for those that have the 2012's did they end up needing to install a camber bolt or did it align just fine without...because the interweb has info both ways. But if I dont need to spend the money

RE: overthinking:
Information is good, gathering information to make a choice is better - if you actually make that choice, Like you said, there's conflicting information on the Internet about this "washer" position. At some point you have to just get off the Internet, go out to the garage, install it one way or another, and live with your decision and hope it works out. If it's upside down, then flip it over. It's simple.
Also - considering you're still discussing the position of a simple washer even after the fact that people have already replied "it doesn't matter" just shows that you are overthinking it IMO (y)

RE: camber bolt
Your model year doesn't matter, and your new alignment question is not a "general" thing: Each vehicle aligns differently, so you're not going to get a "yes" or "no" answer on if you need to install a camber bolt or not. The only way you will know if YOUR truck needs a camber bolt is to go to an alignment shop and have them put it on the rack and see if you need it or not. In this case just because someone else's truck with Bilsteins didn't need the bolt to get a good alignment, that doesn't mean yours won't.

...that's just part of modding things. You can spend hours, days, weeks on the theory (asking if you need this or if you have to buy that) but the reality is, not everything is a true/false, black and white, "go/no go" situation. Many times the actual answer to your question appear AFTER you get past the theory and do the practical action.

Or in other words... you can "get your ducks aligned before jumping in", but nothing guarantees that they won't move out of the way when you do. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
No, not overthinking .....
If you or anyone is stressing about which way to face the washer, you're overthinking. You'll understand when you assemble it, or think about it for a moment. The 2 washers & sleeve will compress everything. The entire purpose of the sleeve is to ensure you don't over compress.
As to cam bolts, the answer is always yes, for all 2nd gens. Even stock height. You want 0 camber and all the caster. Flat camber will give better tire wear and handling. More caster gives better return-to-center and less darty-ness/twitchy-ness. This becomes more pronounced as you lift. And if you lift more than an inch, the cams are needed just to keep it in the green.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts