Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
So a quick question. I have 5100s coming in the mail today and I am going to use setting 2 or 3. Can you adjust the height without taking the tires off, and does it change your alignment? Or do I need to decide which setting I want before I get an alignment done?

·
Registered
814 Posts
You need to figure out which setting you want before you start.
You can NOT adjust the settings once strut assembly is installed.
You will have to break down the strut assembly again if you want to change the settings.
You will have to get an alignment when you are done and each time you change the height settings.

CPS

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
So a quick question. I have 5100s coming in the mail today and I am going to use setting 2 or 3. Can you adjust the height without taking the tires off, and does it change your alignment? Or do I need to decide which setting I want before I get an alignment done?
I think you are not fully aware what is involved to install the 5100 in the front (which is the only ones that allow for height adjustment). Not only do you have to remove the tires, but you need to remove and disassemble the old shock/spring assembly, and swap over the spring. This is where the height adjustment occurs, as you set the height of the spring perch when everything is apart.

In order to change the ride height you need perform the entire removal and dissemble of the entire shock/spring. If you know what you are doing I would say this is a 2-3 job.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think you are not fully aware what is involved to install the 5100 in the front (which is the only ones that allow for height adjustment). Not only do you have to remove the tires, but you need to remove and disassemble the old shock/spring assembly, and swap over the spring. This is where the height adjustment occurs, as you set the height of the spring perch when everything is apart.

In order to change the ride height you need perform the entire removal and dissemble of the entire shock/spring. If you know what you are doing I would say this is a 2-3 job.
I am aware that the coilover needs to be disassembled/reassembled. My friend had a rancho system on his truck he used to be able to change the ride height with a spanner wrench- not sure what it was exactly but I think his truck was solid front axle? Anyway good to know.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I am aware that the coilover needs to be disassembled/reassembled. My friend had a rancho system on his truck he used to be able to change the ride height with a spanner wrench- not sure what it was exactly but I think his truck was solid front axle? Anyway good to know.
That's good. Didn't know if you knew.

I would classify our front shock/spring set up as a coilover. But the industry refers to coil overs as a coli spring over a shock that sits on a threaded spring perch which you can adjust the height of. Like what your friend has.

Based on that deffinintion we don't have a coil over and the bils 5100 set up is not either. It uses a small clip that you move to various pre cut grooves on the shock body that controls where the spring perch sits and thus controls how much preload and lift it provides. You gots to remove everything to adjust the height.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
The Bilstein 5100 isn't a threaded body coilover, it is a shock with preset height adjustment using a separate spring perch and C-clip that fits into grooves in the shock body itself (as shown by Nissan4Life above). You can't move that clip unless you remove the entire 5100 from the truck, then disassemble and remove the top hat on the shock, then remove the coil spring and lower spring perch.

Compare the Bilstein 5100 Nissan4Life showed to you this:

See the threads at the top of the shock body? that is the type of shock that uses a spanner wrench. Spanner wrenches are how you adjust threaded-body coilovers such as Kings, RadFlos, Fox, etc. It ha snothing to do with the front axle type.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I am trying to decide which height setting to use. I drive 99% on road, so I think setting 2 (0.5" lift) is what I will go with. The Googles tells me I can move the clip with needle nose pliers. I guess I need to bust some out and give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
So I am trying to decide which height setting to use. I drive 99% on road, so I think setting 2 (0.5" lift) is what I will go with. The Googles tells me I can move the clip with needle nose pliers. I guess I need to bust some out and give it a shot.
Keep in mind you have to have the 5100 disassembled to move the clip, but moving the clip itself doesn't require any special tools

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I’m bringing up an older thread here. I recently installed 5100s with a 3” front and 2” rear lift consisting of spacer and block. I set the front shocks for 1” but the rear still sits higher than the front🤔 I measured my shackles and they are 7.5”. I haven’t been able to find the size of the stock shackles to see if mine are original. (The truck had a smaller lift installed before I got it and I removed a 1” block and installed a 2” block). My question is do I attempt to find stock shackles (if mine are different) or set the front shocks up another inch? Im on stock coils is it going to be significantly more rough?

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Yeah I’m bringing up an older thread here. I recently installed 5100s with a 3” front and 2” rear lift consisting of spacer and block. I set the front shocks for 1” but the rear still sits higher than the front🤔 I measured my shackles and they are 7.5”. I haven’t been able to find the size of the stock shackles to see if mine are original. (The truck had a smaller lift installed before I got it and I removed a 1” block and installed a 2” block). My question is do I attempt to find stock shackles (if mine are different) or set the front shocks up another inch? Im on stock coils is it going to be significantly more rough?
How did you acheive the 3" of lift in the front. 1" setting on the shock and a 2" spacer. Do you have aftermarket upper control arms. Either way you can not lift any higher than 3" in the front. I'd consider lowering the rear.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
The lift spacer is for 3” lift. The extra 1” comes from the middle setting on the 5100s
Your saying that you have 4" of total lift in the front? Pretty sure you are having all kinds of ride issues: No drop travel. Tons of coil bucket contact, and even shock crush (unless you have a tall bump stop).

I'd put the shock at 1.5" of lift and add a 1/4" thick spacer (1/2" lift), and call it good.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts