Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found many posts stating the use of the 1 or 1 1/2" settings but not the 2".

Anyone got Bilstein 5100's installed in the front and using the 2" lift setting?

For my 2010 SE Crew, I am thinking about getting the 5100's and using the 2" setting with the stock SE springs. I'm not sure how the ride will be with that much extra preload, so I'm looking to see if anyone could chime in with ride results using the Bil 5100 on the 2" setting.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the Nismo/Pro4x front coils were slightly taller, if so I would imagine this to contribute to a tad greater preload than an SE 4x2 and possibly creating a bit of a rough ride. Though possibly the SE may not be effected as much. I would like correction of this if I am wrong.

My goal is to get roughly 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" lift in front by the use of a 1/4" tall spacer/plate from ADF, followed by either 1.5" or 2" shackles. I am thinking the 2" shackles more as I would like to retain about a 1/2" of forward rake.

I have read a ton of threads on the use of the 5100 and the OME-LD springs too, but after reading a bit, I'm not sure thats the best thing to do. I'm worried about throwing the geometry off too much, and I dont do any heavy wheeling, nor do I want to deal with a super stiff ride or take any sway bars off.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Would probably be super stiff.

I couldn't be happier with my combo with the adj bils set at the lowest setting and OME LD coils.

Truck looks mean, handles as well with the sway bar off as it did with the stock springs and the sway bar on.

Just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I couldn't be happier with my combo with the adj bils set at the lowest setting and OME LD coils.

Truck looks mean, handles as well with the sway bar off as it did with the stock springs and the sway bar on.

Just my honest opinion.
Your opinion that it would be super stiff is based on what? The OME 1.5" lift springs that you have yields more lift than specified when used with struts OTHER THAN the OME strut. This is due to the OME bucket sitting lower than stock. The lowest setting on the Bilsteins is the same equivalent position as the lowest setting on the Bilstein. So essentially, you have set up your own suspension with the same ride-height as using a stock spring on the Bilstein in the 2" lift setting like the OP was asking about...although with a different spring rate. He needs an opinion from someone with the same setup he is contemplating using.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Your opinion that it would be super stiff is based on what? The OME 1.5" lift springs that you have yields more lift than specified when used with struts OTHER THAN the OME strut. This is due to the OME bucket sitting lower than stock. The lowest setting on the Bilsteins is the same equivalent position as the lowest setting on the Bilstein. So essentially, you have set up your own suspension with the same ride-height as using a stock spring on the Bilstein in the 2" lift setting like the OP was asking about...although with a different spring rate. He needs an opinion from someone with the same setup he is contemplating using.
While I do appreciate the response and feedback, Renegade is correct. I have gone over the entire tread and then some on the concept of Bilsteins and OME-LD springs. I am by no means an expert, in fact barely a novice; however something does raise a red flag for me with that setup. I believe the OME strut is even longer than the Bilstein, OME/ARB states that the kit (strut/spring) together are designed for 1.5" of lift, maybe near 2" depending on the vehicle. The Bilstein on the 2nd notch from the bottom apparenly obtains an average of 2.5" of lift, or 2" at the lowest setting. Something there does not seem right over the long run. Many are doing it, and are happy with the results, but I am not really sure that the Bilstein, nor the trucks geometry and tolerances are designed for that. You are taking a spring that is a bit longer, already has a slightly increased rate and pressing it down even further. This is why I have an idea that the stock spring, at least that of an SE 4x2, may be fine with the Bilstein on the 2" setting. Its a gamble, and one that if my assuption is wrong, then its a mulligan and I start down on the 1.5" setting. But I do not see yet, where anyone has tried this and so there is not so far that I can tell a comparison to say it is a harsh, or super stiff ride. Though it may very well be, and that is why I posted this thread....to hopefully find out from anyone who may have done just this...

Now, as far as putting a 1/4" plate atop for just that extra bit of height; I looked at the tops of the studs as they are now, and it looks like there is barely enough room to get the top nuts back on after the addition of a 1/4" plate/spacer, they may be just grabbing a few threads, would have to do it to see. I wonder if the studs are a tad longer on a Nismo/Pro4x?

Again, i am no expert and in fact just really beginning to narrow down my choices. I definately welcome being corrected on my assumptions mentioned above, I'd rather know I'm wrong than think I'm right.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
620 Posts
i think the 2" setting is the max setting?

i have that but w/ the OME coils. its rough

rough is good IMO

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
^ I admire this guy habeansha for going all out, he has the OME LD's on the Adjustable Bils' MAX setting! There are pictures of the set-up in the "Bils plus OME" thread, and suprisingly there is some room between the coils. If I were able to experience how this set-up rides it would answer so many questions. I could always do it myself to see but F that I would rather sample it first.

As far as how much threading would be sacrificed with a 1/4" spacer have you seen how much thread is already protruding out of the top of the nut? Because I would go with that amount, at max.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and my mind is made up!

I appreciate everyone's replies to this post. As any of us would, I was trying to figure out the best lift for ME. Others may be satisfied with spacers, while others won't be satisfied til have RadFlo's, a Calmini 5" lift or a Titan swap. I take in all the suggestions I can get, but in the end it comes to deciding what is most practical for me and my usage, not just what may look cool for a while. Basically to each his own.

These two links helped me finalize my choice for my truck.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/5100LevShks_flyer.pdf

and

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

I spent a good amount of time contemplating and reading these over. I like the idea of the Bil's because I think I will get the result I'm looking for without getting too excessive(though whats the fun in that right?), as well I won't have to have them serviced or replaced as I might RadFlo's and high dollar coil overs dont seem like a practical investment.

I will be setting these at the 2" setting for anyone who may want to read the results later, keep in mind this is on an SE 4x2, so Nismo owners will have to wing it. I am going to get the 1/4" plates from Andy just incase they will fit, if they do great, if not...not too big a deal. Renegade was helpful in answering a couple questions I had so I have faith....We'll see.

I know I'm a newbie, and everyone suggests the best place to start is the search button. I wore the thing out I think, either way, even for a newbie people have been pretty cool for the most part in answering a post, lending guidance and sharing some experience. Thanks to all.

Now, I just need to find the BEST price on the adj. 5100's. I think I am also going to get some 5125's from PRG just to put the icing on the cake.

Stay Kool,

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a nismo with stock springs, and my bills set at 1 1/2". I too read of the "harsh" ride at 2", but I thinkthat was more to do with OME coils. Now I wish I had gone to 2", just not enough yet to take it apart again...LOL... at least until there is more to do...
Definitely go 2". The ride in mine with hankook dynapro rf 10lt's is almost as good as stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5100's....Check!

Just put my order in at ShockWarehouse for the 5100's for the front. Free ground shipping was nice, I just hope I'm not one of the horror stories of waiting aeons' for them to get here. Though I am still sourcing a few more parts for this venture, so I got a little time to spend.

I'm excited though. I spoke with Aurthur at Bilstein US and asked him about the ride and handling on the 2" setting, he said that he can't speak for every model, but the SE models he said ride pretty much identical to a Nismo with the Bilstein HD shocks. So, this is getting closer to what I had assumed from the beginning. Still time will tell. I cant decide to get fixed or adjustable shackles for the rear though. I may later go to an OME spring pack, but thats a bit down the road, I want to see how this basic setup comes out first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i didn't know the sway bar had to come off for the OME coils/bilstien combo. is that absolute or just at higher settings?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It doesn't have to come off ... but it is a common recommendation. The OME coils are stiff enough that they can control the body sway pretty well on their own. Plus without the swaybar attached the left and right front suspension are able to react to the road independently, which translates to a smoother ride.

In comparison I once tried disconnecting the sway bar on my otherwise stock suspension and the sway was crazy. Lots of body lean and felt real squirrely steering back and forth. And I have 4x4 nismo coils. It was smooth though!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPS says the 5100's will be at the door monday afternoon. Its a nice feeling seeing all this finally in progress. Went to discount tire today to get some ideas and shop for tires. Still cant decide yet if its 265/75 or 285/75. I keep leaning towards the 265/75, I suppose more for practical purposes and cost. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Be sure you let us know how it works out, I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the 5100's in yesterday form UPS, no pictures but I got a feeling 99.9% of you know what they look like. Still waiting on some other parts before i can really get rolling; however I have encountered a little setback....Looks like i am another victim for warranty work. 18K and will be getting rear axle seals and both passenger door weather strippings replaced as well as a corner of paint on the rear of the cab I never noticed that appears to have dirt under the paint, so they're cutting into the paint to correct that as well....

Once this is all done, the first thing is the Axle breather mod...then the lift and treads. Mine is an SE so anyone else with an SE check that c200 cause this is not native to just the M226, same cheap inefficient breather is used. I love the stuff you can learn on this site from good people. I walked in the service bay and told the guy exactly what it was and why and he said " i will order your parts right now and schedule the loaner car, dont worry this is covered, we'll have it like new again for you"

So thanks Club Frontier!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I love the stuff you can learn on this site from good people.
x3 ... couldn't agree more, a lot more usable info than most of the other car sites I've been a member of in the past. I have beaten the hell out of the SEARCH button here.

Looking forward to your results with the 5100's. I actually have a pair in my garage that I'm still trying to figure out what to do with, lolz

·
Registered
4 Posts
So do the Bilstein 5100 shocks come with the snap rings? I was wanting to put together the shock/strut assemblies, with OME coils, and swap them out, without having to dismantle the old struts, just to re-use the top plates.

BTW I just installed an OME lift, with Bilstein 5100's on my other rig, and the ride is really nice. Firm, yet not annoying, with less role in the corners over the stock setup...

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
So do the Bilstein 5100 shocks come with the snap rings? I was wanting to put together the shock/strut assemblies, with OME coils, and swap them out, without having to dismantle the old struts, just to re-use the top plates.

BTW I just installed an OME lift, with Bilstein 5100's on my other rig, and the ride is really nice. Firm, yet not annoying, with less role in the corners over the stock setup...
If by snap rings, you mean the clips that adjust the height, then yes. You'll have to remove the old coilovers and dismantle them. What's your other vehicle?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts