Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bike fork mounts that go right into the front track behind the cab with a couple unistrut nuts. But bcause I have a headache rack and a toolbox in my bed, I can't use the front track like is shown in all the pictures. I had them installed on the side tracks, and the bikes got loaded sideways in the bed, which worked fine until my wife got a new bike. Now she has a recumbent which is far too long to go sideways. The only track available to mount to is the bottom track as the bike has to go length wise in the bed. I tried putting a single bolt through the fork mounts, added a couple fender washers so it's bolted to the track not the bed, and tightened it down. It doesn't seem nearly as secure as having it bolted in place with 2 bolts did. Even nice and tight it still wants to rotate around which leaves tons of opportunity for those fender washers to move and possibly fall out of position. Does anyone have a solution to getting a bike mount on that bottom track? Only thing I can think of is to bolt a pressure treated 2x4 between the two bottom tracks and secure the mounts to that. I'd like something a little cleaner looking if possible though.

·
Registered
Great truck
676 Posts
oh man, she got a long wheel base recumbent?

you might be able to get a 6" piece of Unistrut and mount it to the floor track and put your bike mount on the Unistrut. I have to put the tailgate down on my truck and I have a short wheel base recumbent. I made a form fitting piece of plywood with some 2x6 screwed to it and painted it all black so it would sit on the floor of the bed and hold three bikes to the mounts because my short wheel base wouldn't bolt to the track on the bed by the cab anyways, my pedals are more forward then the forks. the plywood works great and lets me carry my recumbent and a buddies recumbent and we can still carry a regular road bike between them

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, long wheelbase. A easy racers tour easy classic, and she's estatic to have something fast enough to outrun me now.

I considered the unistrut, but my concern with a short piece was that I ended up with the same 1 bolt issue I've got now. I could run it rail to rail, but then I've got a more expensive version of my 2x4 idea (because gosh the strut channel is expensive).

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Frontier
492 Posts
Here is what I would do. Buy some flat plate (steel or aluminum), and drill four holes in it. The two length wise holes will allow you to bolt the plate to the utilitrack using unistrut nuts and regular bolts. You can bolt the fork mount to the other two holes. Unless you get thick material and tap it, you'll need to use nuts to mount the fork mount. In this case, I'd run some button head cap screws from the back side and use the nuts on the top side. This should allow the plate to remain fairly flat against the bed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bngn4x that's what my current plan is. I'll probably throw that together at least for now because it'll get me something useable for the summer and I think my wife will kill me if I have any more projects going on.

JTD, that might just be the ticket. I might add a 2" wide strip below it so there's bolt head clearance on the bottom and it only bears on the track instead of the bed, but I like that. I kept looking for some sort of unistrut fitting that'd do it, but I guess I'm gonna have to pick up some aluminum stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts