Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New to the forum, but I've been snooping around for an answer with the search feature, but nothing seems to fit my issue so here goes.

I have a 2008 LE with 96k miles. Never had a bit of trouble with the truck and have maintained it well since purchased new in 2008. I recently replaced the spark plugs which was an unexpected hassle with new iridium plugs. Two days after install the truck started running rough, SES light came on and read the code for cylinder 4 misfire. pulled plug, replaced with new, and all's well.

A few days later the truck starts running rough, and then dies when my wife was driving. SES light came on, was able to get the truck started and off to parts store to read code. Thinking it was another plug, but it turned out to be a bank 1 camshaft position sensor. Bought OEM sensor (which looked different than the one I pulled) and installed. Started truck and ran like poo until I drove it for a few miles, then it smoothed out and ran great.

Fast forward 1 week and this thing is starting to run bad again!:surprise:
SES light was flashing on and off but never stayed on, took it to read code. No code

Now the ultimate question, of course, is, NOW WHAT?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help me out a bit. This is my wife's truck and I don't need to be worrying about here driving this.

Thanks for any information.
-Deaner-

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
First off sorry to hear about your trouble's. Second congrats on joining the forum.

If your engine light is flashing that actually is to indicate a more severe problem and the vehicle shouldn't be driven. I can't believe it doesn't have a code? Check and make sure all your plug wires are completely seated. Did you make sure all the ends on the plugs were completely tight? Maybe that OEM crank sensor crapped out, did you get it from the dealer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Checked the plugs, tight, gapped, wires seated. Seems strange if that was the problem that it would run fine for a while then run bad. Camshaft position sensor was OEM part from Rockauto.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I can't believe there isn't a code with a flashing SES??? Is there any kind of weird or different sounds coming from the engine? If the problem just pops up after you changed the plugs recently that's where I would have looked. Don't know how much your wife drove in 2 weeks that's why I suggested those things. Sometimes plugs can back out, or wires aren't fully seated, or the metal thingy on the end of the plug works loose making a bad connection "can't think of technical term right now"?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
And you said one of the plugs went bad in a week or so? What brand of Iridium plugs did you buy?

·
Admin
3,282 Posts
fyi - I moved this thread from the street trucks forum and edited some posts accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
I thought Iridium plugs should not be manually gapped to avoid any subsequent damage to the thin layer of Iridium?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And you said one of the plugs went bad in a week or so? What brand of Iridium plugs did you buy?
Yes I had one go bad the first day or so. I put in Denso IKH16 Iridium Power plugs from Advance Auto.

I thought Iridium plugs should not be manually gapped to avoid any subsequent damage to the thin layer of Iridium?
No need to gap, they were correct out of the box.
Really baffled, the truck ran fine yesterday, but I don't trust it. Don't want mama on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
No need to gap, they were correct out of the box.
Really baffled, the truck ran fine yesterday, but I don't trust it. Don't want mama on the side of the road.
My point was that one should not even put a gapper in there so as to totally avoid disturbing that thin layer.
Good luck w/ your trouble shooting! Keep us posted...

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts
Since the plugs are such a pain to do (I removed nothing) I only use factory plugs to be sure of the outcome.
Hope he gets it all sorted out soon.

Clint

·
Registered
352 Posts
On my wife's 2006 Xterra Offroad, the SES light came on and I believe it was blinking. But no code was stored. Came out it was an IPDM relay that had a recall under. I don't remember which relay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts