Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm waking up early tomorrow so I have all day to install everything on my truck. I've read up on everything as much as possible and have never done this much to a truck or car before, but I hope it all goes well. Any tips for me? Haha. So I have a king cab xe 4 cylinder and heres what Im installing tomorrow. So I'm installing the bigger brakes and rotors I got from greg off a v6 frontier, the stainless steel brakelines, cam bolts, the v8 pathfinder 4wd shocks, the cst spindles, and in the rear I'm installing the 2" deaver aal's, and also the bilsteins. Then I'll slap on the new procomp wheels with the terra grapplers. Also I figured Ill flush out all the old brake fluid for new dot 4 fluid and then I guess Ill have to take it to get aligned. Should be fun.:)

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
You'll have a big day. When I plan big projects, I do the same as you -- plan everything. I'm usually nervous as heck as I begin, expecting disaster. When doing jobs around the house that involve cutting off the water, I often wait until my wife and kid are gone for the day. That way I'm not rushed and can take my time.

Good luck -- you have quite a slate there.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so. cal, orange county. yah i definitely have a big install. i think Im most worried about getting the springs and deaver to line up correctly and then the hopefully i take care of the tie rod the right way like greg told me.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Read up on bleeding the brakes again, it seems like something that isn't as straight forward as it should be. ( I haven't done it, I have just see many complaints about the difficulty. )

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
over all install shouldnt take to long, since your basically taking everything apart then putting new stuff on. I did my spindles both sides in about an hour with basic hand tools. longest part was waiting for a friend so i could bleed the brakes. biggest thing is to take your time and dont rush, do it right the first time. Another tip, with installing the calipers, hook up all the lines then crack open the bleeders for a little while until you get a good stream of fluid coming out. That will cut down on ur bleeding time.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys. Yah i couldnt find anything about bleeding brakes on here. I do want to get rid of all the old brake fluid though. Should be simple right. You just have someone put on the brakes and then you open up the bleeder and then close it and have them take there foot off right? Just to get the air bubbles to push themselves out. And you just do it a bunch til all the bubbles are out?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The best way for bleeding them is to have a buddy help you. If you don't have anyone, then you can buy a bleeder buddy, that can turn it into a one person job. To drain it, i would just open up the bleeder valves and start pumping. Don't let that fluid get on your paint though, it will mess it up.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. yah i know it can screw up paint like on contact practically.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. Yah i couldnt find anything about bleeding brakes on here. I do want to get rid of all the old brake fluid though. Should be simple right. You just have someone put on the brakes and then you open up the bleeder and then close it and have them take there foot off right? Just to get the air bubbles to push themselves out. And you just do it a bunch til all the bubbles are out?
Not to scare you or nothing but when I did mine, the bleeder valves on both front calipers leaked fluid from the threads. Made a hell of a mess so just a heads up, keep lots of rags handy. The rears were cake, I have no idea why the fronts were messed up.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip. Another question. Could i just hook up some fuel tubing to the bleeders to run it into a bottle or something to keep most of it contained.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Here's the best way to do it... Get your wrench ready and have your friend inside the truck w/ it turned off. Have them pump the brakes 3-4 times, then hold the brake pedal down. While the pedal is down, open the bleeder for a second or two and then shut it back. Then have the person inside pump the brakes again and repeat the process. You'll do this about 3-5 times, depending on how much air is coming out each time. Also, start w/ the brake furthest from the master cyl and work your way up (RR, LR, RF, LF). Make sure the brake reservoir is full before you start this process.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
are you a 4cyl?
Sorry missed this. Yah im a 4 cylinder.

Here's the best way to do it... Get your wrench ready and have your friend inside the truck w/ it turned off. Have them pump the brakes 3-4 times, then hold the brake pedal down. While the pedal is down, open the bleeder for a second or two and then shut it back. Then have the person inside pump the brakes again and repeat the process. You'll do this about 3-5 times, depending on how much air is coming out each time. Also, start w/ the brake furthest from the master cyl and work your way up (RR, LR, RF, LF). Make sure the brake reservoir is full before you start this process.
Thanks for the tips. Cause even though Im not touching the rear brakes I should still bleed them right?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
During the brake swap make sure you don't let the master cyl. drain empty.. might get air into the ABS controller.

From the SM "Bleeding Brake System EFS004Z2
CAUTION:
While bleeding, monitor the master cylinder brake fluid level.
1. Turn ignition switch OFF and disconnect ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) connector or battery
negative cable.
2. Connect a vinyl tube to the rear right bleed valve.
3. Fully depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times.
4. With brake pedal depressed, loosen bleed valve to let the air out, and then tighten it immediately.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more air comes out.
6. Tighten bleed valve to the specified torque. Refer to BR-22, "Components" (front disc brake), BR-28, "Components" (rear disc brake).
7. Perform steps 2 to 6 at each wheel, with master cylinder reservoir tank filled at least half way, bleed air from the front left, rear left, and front right bleed valve, in that order."

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
During the brake swap make sure you don't let the master cyl. drain empty.. might get air into the ABS controller.

From the SM "Bleeding Brake System EFS004Z2
CAUTION:
While bleeding, monitor the master cylinder brake fluid level.
1. Turn ignition switch OFF and disconnect ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) connector or battery
negative cable.
2. Connect a vinyl tube to the rear right bleed valve.
3. Fully depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times.
4. With brake pedal depressed, loosen bleed valve to let the air out, and then tighten it immediately.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more air comes out.
6. Tighten bleed valve to the specified torque. Refer to BR-22, "Components" (front disc brake), BR-28, "Components" (rear disc brake).
7. Perform steps 2 to 6 at each wheel, with master cylinder reservoir tank filled at least half way, bleed air from the front left, rear left, and front right bleed valve, in that order."

Thanks again. Where did you get that information? From the sm? Whats that?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh and do you guys think I should paint the calipers red before i put them on. I already have some red caliper paint.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Oh and do you guys think I should paint the calipers red before i put them on. I already have some red caliper paint.
Yes it would be a very nice touch. I need to repaint mine. The brick red paint i put on is kinda getting a wash from all the mud. So im going to re-paint it a high temp gloss red enamel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts