Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I took my 6-week-old Frontier PRO-4X out to Big Bend National Park during Thanksgiving week of 2018. Here is the discussion thread for that: Big Bend National Park - Giving It Some Thought.

I went out again this year. This time I tackled Black Gap Road. which is the park's hardest trail. I made it through with no damage I have found (yet). The truck is bone stock, except for an OEM receiver hitch and a 2nd front tow hook. I crunched at least 3 of the 4 mudflaps, but they seem to have popped back into shape well enough that I did not even realize I had crunched them until I saw it on the GoPro videos later. And I think I dragged the frame once.

Attaches is a teaser pic. I'll write more about the trip later after I've gotten some sleep. Drove 645 miles back to Houston today.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sweet! That road was pretty bad about 15 years ago when we were down there. Stayed at the farthest campsite from ranger station. Looked for lost mine, but came back empty. Found a lot of dig sites though. Hope you haven't looked at the paint job on the sides of your truck yet! Lol. I remember loads of mesquite trees overhanging road. Glad you had fun and didn't break down like we did.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hell yeah, that looks like a blast!
GoPro = video... We need a YouTube link!!!:cool:

·
Registered
323 Posts
All the years I lived in Texas and I never made it to big bend. Kicking myself now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We visited BBNP in '16, but didn't have the PRO-4X yet. We need to get out there again.

After reading this forum, we removed all the mud flaps prior to going off-road.

Berserker,

Did you have s winch or any recovery gear with you?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have s winch or any recovery gear with you?
My recovery gear has hardly changed from when I went out there last year. Last year I had an OEM receiver hitch, 2nd OEM tow hook up front, shackle for the hitch, snatch strap, kinetic recovery rope, Maxtrax, and a shovel. When I go to the beach I also bring a 5-gallon bucket for schlepping water to compact loose sand. So far I have not needed any of it.

This year I added a set of walkie talkies (Cobra brand from Target), and a few shackles in different sizes (Harbor Freight). Both of those are things I said last year that I could see a need for, after helping rescue a Subaru Outback stuck on Old Ore Road.

The places I go (the beach and the desert) don't provide a lot of things to connect a winch to, so the expense and extra weight has not seemed worth it to me. I did I eyeball some come-alongs at Harbor Freight, but decided I would be more likely to hurt myself with one than get myself unstuck. It's the same reason I don't have a Hi-Lift jack.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Your virgin video played perfectly on you tube. Now we need full length features of the edited version of the multi-day trip.
Please.

looks like a fun time was had.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now we need full length features of the edited version of the multi-day trip.
I thought you all would mostly be interested in the rock-crawly stuff, LOL. But I wanted to try to put together a trip video as a learning exercise with VSDC Video Editor, so if I can make one that comes out decent I'll post it up.

In the meantime, 2 more videos up:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Video 05: Climb On Way To Glenn Springs

This is the last of the interesting stuff on Black Gap Road. I have a couple of Old Ore Road clips, and will play with making an overall trip video. I have to learn more about this video editing software (VSDC) before I tackle that, though. I stitched together a bunch of short clips in that 4th video and it was a pain to manage.

Attached image is the Google Maps view of the area. Scenic and scary.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Looks like it's time for a wee lift! And some sliders. And maybe some skids. How much damage did your rear bumper take on that hit? Looked like maybe just some paint scrapeage, but I could see it flex... I've gotta get my trailer plug mod done. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much damage did your rear bumper take on that hit? Looked like maybe just some paint scrapeage
As far as I can tell, just paint scrapeage underneath. You can't even see it unless you're under the truck looking for it.

Definitely thinking about armor. Right now body damage is my main concern, so maybe rock rails. Not sure about lifting.

·
Registered
501 Posts
As far as I can tell, just paint scrapeage underneath. You can't even see it unless you're under the truck looking for it.

Definitely thinking about armor. Right now body damage is my main concern, so maybe rock rails. Not sure about lifting.
exocage.jpg

DO IT!!! LMAO.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dooo iiiit....!

·
Registered
323 Posts
DO IT! But it's not our fault if your wallet gets continuously lighter! It is certainly a rabbit hole

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Skinny, that ain't no lie, my wallets getting skinnier too. I'm about $2.5k in already ( yes, I know, in some circles that's just a warm-up to reaching amateur status ) and prob another $3k to go, to get me where I want to be enough to slow down to just random here-n-there mods afterwards. Next is WAM hidden winch bumper, Warn winch, aluminium full skid plate kit, rear diff plate and 2" suspension lift. And perhaps projector headlamps. Then I can rest. For a few weeks anyway. ROFL.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aluminium full skid plate kit
In the national park, at the time of year I go, if I got stuck I wouldn't sit more than a couple of hours before someone came along. But my eyes are starting to wander over to Big Bend Ranch State Park next door. My understanding is that those roads are tougher, and the park is less-frequently visited.

Decent skids, some discretely-mounted sliders, better front recovery points (already on order!), and E-rated tires would make me less anxious about being out in the desert. And my truck would still look stock to most observers.

Maybe also time to look into something like a Garmin InReach.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts