Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had been running the KO's for three years and really liked them when I became enamored with the KM3's. The reviews said they wore as well as the KO's, were nearly equal in all terrains tests, not to noisy and comparably priced. I have to admit to loving the look and, since I run stock rims, found the idea of going to a 33" tire and staying skinny appealing (255/85 r16). My 2016 SV 4x4 is a daily driver with 24K annually, 70% Hwy, 20% beach, and 10% Fire Roads.

After a year, I can say I LOVE the look, and my offroad and on road performance are on par with the KO's. On par, mind you, not far exceeding Mileage didn't change at all, but these things are NOISY on the road, much worse than anticipated. While they are good on the beach, they are no great and, even aired down to 15, will spin in a minute if you aren't careful and dig you in. Not an issue for beach drivers with some experience, but something to be aware of. On Fire Roads, they are great, but certainly not superior to the All Terrains. I do love the Skinnies. With the higher profile, the aired down foot print far exceeds the prior 265/75's and they never rubbed even a little bit.

With all of those nice things said, I will be moving back to AT's this spring. Fact is, these tires wear like crap for my type of driving, with well over a third of the tire wear gone. That, coupled with the negligible overall performance gains make them a poor value, again for my type of driving, versus the AT's.

As in all things, your results my vary!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thanks for the review. Most likely will drop them from consideration since I do the majority of miles on pavement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hard to imagine a mud tire would be noisy and wear poorly when used primarily on streets... I'm sure ATs will work much better for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to imagine a mud tire would be noisy and wear poorly when used primarily on streets... I'm sure ATs will work much better for you.
While your sarcasm is duly noted, you might want to read the bulk of KM3 reviews out there,. many stating the wear to be almost equivalent to the KO's and only slightly noisier. It was those reviews that brought me to the KM3 in the first place.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Welp... at least you learned that daily driving mud tires on 70% Hwy, 20% beach, 10% Fire Roads and 0% Actual Mud was the wrong choice :D

Reactions: Skinny06

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp... at least you learned that daily driving mud tires on 70% Hwy, 20% beach, 10% Fire Roads and 0% Actual Mud was the wrong choice :D
Yeah, but they looked good!!!?

Reactions: (none)

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
273 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts on the KM3.

Not a thing wrong with getting a MT with highway miles. Get what you want! I put around 1000 to 2000 miles per week on my truck, I still got MT's and will get MT's again. I don't mind the noise, wear, etc. With that said, I do get into some rough stuff as I use my truck as my transport on my farm.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts