Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Better rear headrests?

14K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  JVRaley 
#1 ·
Got frustrated with visibility out the back so I pulled the rear headrests to see how it was without them. MUCH better even with the canopy.

That got me thinking, when I was a kid a friend's mother had a Volvo 240 with headrests that were not solid, they were a sort of compressed ladder shape with open horizontal slots:

The crew cab seat on my truck has headrests with a spacing post-center to post-center that's near 4-5/16", which is basically 110mm. I don't think these Volvo headrests have posts that narrow, but do any other vehicles have smaller headrests with that same 110mm spacing?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Ive taken mine off as well, blocks way too much of the view behind us...... ill pull them out if someone REALLY wants one

#5 ·
Thanks guys, found one beige/tan one on Ebay off an '05 Xterra, will start looking locally. This interior color does not appear to be as popular as the gray/charcoal but there are a lot of auto wrecking yards around here and I'd bet that the rear seat headrests are not going to see appreciable wear even if the windows are missing.

#6 ·
Curious if CC and KC rear headrests are interchangeable? Anyone know?

#8 ·
Older threads would indicate that they are not.

I haven't been able to establish if either the 2nd or 3rd row from the Pathfinder are or aren't, but for a Pathy equipped with a third row and with that funky second-row folding system I would bet not. Haven't checked if any Pathys were built as two-row-only.

#7 ·
took mine out too, its nice to be able to see out of the half of the window that was blocked, don't often have anyone in the back seat except my little buddy Cooper (mini schnauzer) and he rides right in the middle so he can see out the windshield lol

#9 ·
Okay, was at a junkyard today, a small one, technically full-service but they'll let you go rummage.

In addition to the Frontier I was pulling parts from they had a Pathfinder and a Titan. Both 2nd row seats have the same post-width spacing. The Frontier I was pulling a hitch from was burned-up but they let me take 'em out to my truck to test.

The Pathfinder middle row headrest sticks forward too far. Not viable. Didn't even take pictures.

The Titan headrest though, that has promise. It's quite a bit smaller than the Fronty and is height-adjustable. Without passengers it can be lowered-down to be enough out of the way, but when there are passengers can be lifted up and will work. It does stick forward a tad bit more than the Frontier part, but not enough to be horrible.

The ones they had were charcoal so I didn't buy 'em but now that I know they fit I can look for parts. Unfortunately I didn't get the year on the Titan but it was definitely closer to when they debuted than to a current model.

Attachments

#13 ·
Ok, zombie thread I know (braaaains!) but been revisiting this lately since my wife's parents are riding in the truck a lot and we've been leaving the stock Frontier headrests installed to my annoyance.

I've confirmed for at least the earlier years, the Titan club cab and crew cab appear to have the same post width and even some of the same part numbers. Unfortunately I'm having trouble actually locating an "Almond" (their name for beige/tan) interior truck to source them from.

It looks like the Armadas also had an "Almond" interior with their Chocolate/Almond two-tone interior option for some years, particularly the early years before they went especially upscale. The second row seats headrests are very similar looking in pictures, but so far I have not been able to find more information on interchange. Anyone know if they're the same post spacing as on the Titan? If so then they also might interchange, and they're still available new for around $45 apiece already upholstered and everything. It isn't the weird pattern on my seats, but it would certainly work well enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.