Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My birthday is coming up and I'm about to have a good push of money. I am wanting to buy a soft top camper shell for my 05 KC for camping purposes. I've noticed the only soft top for frontiers is made by Softopper. I came across another brand called Bestop but noticed they don't make a soft top for frontiers only tacomas. I noticed the truck bed specs between a frontier and tacoma are relatively the same give or take an inch in width. I like the bestop brand a lot more and was wondering if anyone has tried fitting it on their frontier or if you think it would fit the frontier?

Link for Bestop Supertop
Bestop

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Softopper that is sold for the Frontier IS the one that is sold for the Tacoma (same model number). So my guess is that the Bestop would fit.
Thats true never thought about that. First off, your KC is awesome. I recently join to find new ideas for my KC. Looking through your build thread I noticed you have a softopper. How do you like it? Also noticed you have a titan swap but me, being a poor college student, i can't afford a t swap but was wondering what size wheel spacer do you think i would need to get the "t swap look"?

· Re-Moderator
13,735 Posts
Thats true never thought about that. First off, your KC is awesome. I recently join to find new ideas for my KC. Looking through your build thread I noticed you have a softopper. How do you like it? Also noticed you have a titan swap but me, being a poor college student, i can't afford a t swap but was wondering what size wheel spacer do you think i would need to get the "t swap look"?
I *had* a Softopper. I sold it because I frequently keep stuff in the back of the truck and didn't like the fact that people could see through the back window and that there was no way to lock the topper.

The Titan swap adds 3" per side but it's generally not recommended to get thicker than 2" wheel spacers. Beware than when you add width, your tires will rub (especially with 285's).

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I *had* a Softopper. I sold it because I frequently keep stuff in the back of the truck and didn't like the fact that people could see through the back window and that there was no way to lock the topper.

The Titan swap adds 3" per side but it's generally not recommended to get thicker than 2" wheel spacers. Beware than when you add width, your tires will rub (especially with 285's).
I'm wanting the softopper and a 3 inch memory foam mattress in/on my truck bed because I have a german shepherd that weighs a little over 100 pounds and he sheds so much in the cab and doesn't really fit in my king cab anymore especially when someone else is in the car with us. did you like the look of the softopper on your KC (while you did have it)? and do you think it would serve my purpose?

And if i have a 3" suspension lift front and rear with 285's right now with no rub, if i got 2" wheel spacers the 285's would rub on a different contact point?

· Re-Moderator
13,735 Posts
I'm wanting the softopper and a 3 inch memory foam mattress in/on my truck bed because I have a german shepherd that weighs a little over 100 pounds and he sheds so much in the cab and doesn't really fit in my king cab anymore especially when someone else is in the car with us. did you like the look of the softopper on your KC (while you did have it)? and do you think it would serve my purpose?

And if i have a 3" suspension lift front and rear with 285's right now with no rub, if i got 2" wheel spacers the 285's would rub on a different contact point?
I thought it looked awesome...it gave my truck more of an expedition rig look.

The thing to be aware of with dogs is that the bed of a truck already gets hot in the summer, and with a Softopper you have no ventilation unless you roll up the sides.

It depends on the tires, caster setting, etc but you would most likely get rubbing on the back of the fender at the pinch weld (body seam). You'd almost certainly need to ditch the front valence and mud flaps and do the melt mod, and even then they may still rub a bit.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it looked awesome...it gave my truck more of an expedition rig look.

The thing to be aware of with dogs is that the bed of a truck already gets hot in the summer, and with a Softopper you have no ventilation unless you roll up the sides.

It depends on the tires, caster setting, etc but you would most likely get rubbing on the back of the fender at the pinch weld (body seam). You'd almost certainly need to ditch the front valence and mud flaps and do the melt mod, and even then they may still rub a bit.
Alright thank you for your help! In about a month I'm gonna buy the Softopper and I'll wait on the wheel spacers and go with the Bilstein 5100 front and rear adjustables to give me an additional 2'' of lift (5'' total) then maybe consider the wheel spacers to prevent rubbing issues. Thanks again

and I plan on running rubber tubing from underneath the passenger seat air vent through my back sliding window into the truck bed covered with the Softopper to give my dog additional air conditioning.

· Re-Moderator
13,735 Posts
Just to clarify...wheel spacers will make rubbing worse. They bring the widest part of the arc when turning closer to the pinch weld. Stock width = least rubbing.

Unfortunately you can't stack suspension lifts like that. Your UCA's would be riding on the coil buckets and you'd have zero down travel, among other issues.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that wheel spacers cause rubbing but i figured with 5'' of lift it would reduce the rub to a minimum.

I like to go off roading and mudding and if stacking spacers with bils is a bad idea what other routes would you consider to obtain a 5'' lift without breaking the bank?

· Registered
3,907 Posts
Since you have a 4x4 you can achieve 5" of lift with a T-Swap, drop bracket, or body lift. You will not get that high from regular suspension bolt-ons alone. Somewhere just after 3" of lift the UCA's will sit directly on the coilbucket. Going higher than that is just not possible because the suspension is already drooped as low as it can go. T-Swap and Drop Brackets are not cheap, so a body lift is all that's left. For example you could achieve 2.5" with spacers, bils, or coilovers (I would suggest UCAs as well to eak a little more down travel out of the setup and to allow for a proper alignment) then you could add a 2.5" body lift to reach your 5" goal.

For the rear you can stack pretty much whatever types of lift you want to achieve the height you want. Your options are blocks, shackles, AAL, and custom leaf packs.

That said, even with 5" of lift I still believe you will need to do some trimming with 2"+ wheel spacers and 285s.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man, i was considering the body lift but couldn't find any under $500. I guess i'm gonna have to wait until i graduate college and can afford a t swap.

· Registered
3,907 Posts
I've seen DIY body lifts done for under $100. Take a look around the forum for a DIY thread. That's the route I'll probably go after I get my suspension sorted and before I move onto bumpers and sliders.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
My 2" body lift was about 230$ish I think from 4x4 parts. I'm currently at 5" up front with ProComp 1089 rims and BFG ATS 305/70/16. The rims offset puts them about 1.5"-2" further out than stock and there was a lot of rubbing. Had to cut and pull back some of the plastic from the inner fender liner, and a good chunk of metal had to be removed from the bottom back side of the fender. So if you go with wheel spacers, the rubbing will NOT be minimal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$230 for the body lift isn't a bad price. I had to trim a little when i put on my 285's so i may wait on the wheel spacers because i'm not wanting to trim anymore especially not metal.

My first priority is getting a softopper. Second priority is 2'' body lift. Third priority is getting a buddy to fabricate a prerunner bumper for me.

· Registered
2,432 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.