Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Black 2001 Desert Runner and the paint is in perfect condition. No fading. Considering it's age the paint shines great and still looks jet black. You can use it as a mirror. All i've been doing is using those water waxes by TurtleWax and at self serve carwashes after washing. They shine the paint great, but I know they won't do a "Real" Wax job such as the UV protection/repelling grime.

Questions: I read somewhere on here that Black is the hardest to wax, and that only a couple of waxes will work good on Black.

What are these waxes?
Where can they be purchased?
Any special techniques for waxing Black paint?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have had good luck with NXT meguiars. I picked up some sealer. But I haven't got around to waxing it with that first, then the wax.

Also if you can feel grit after you wash. Like your paint isn't perfectly smooth...then that means you need a clay bar detail. Go pick up one of the clay bar kits. Wash, then clay, then (you could maybe wash again to get rid of any residue left by the detailer/clay) seal, then wax.

Your truck will never look better.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have had good luck with NXT meguiars. I picked up some sealer. But I haven't got around to waxing it with that first, then the wax.

Also if you can feel grit after you wash. Like your paint isn't perfectly smooth...then that means you need a clay bar detail. Go pick up one of the clay bar kits. Wash, then clay, then (you could maybe wash again to get rid of any residue left by the detailer/clay) seal, then wax.

Your truck will never look better.
X2

·
Registered
819 Posts
there's plenty of high end stuff available on the net.... i use wolfgang concourse on my camaro....
...put a coat on my frontier a week after i bought it...

.... if you want something good that's " over the counter "
i would try and locate some # 26 yellow tech wax ( liquid ) by meguiars OR go to your local harley dealer and pick up some S100....same thing as P21s

·
Registered
721 Posts

Get this stuff. It will take a few hours to get done but its worth it. About 20bux at auto zone. I just did mine and holy ****! Who says you cant polish a turd!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Clay bar + Klasse all-in-one is the best compromise for a daily driver imho.

Clay - Your paint should feel glass smooth, a microfiber/terry cloth should glide right across it. Any vehicle that's been driven for a couple years has at least a few trouble spots that will feel a little rough, that is what the clay is for.

Wax/polish/sealant: Klasse all-in-one is a compromise product with very light polishing action that will get rid of swirl marks and leave you with a durable protective finish. It offers a one-step alternative to the conventional 3 step process of polishing, fine polishing, and wax/sealant topcoat, and is a very good compromise for a daily driver.

Using the above two products properly will leave you with paint looking better than 99% of what is out there. The other 1% are guys using multiple stage products with random orbital polishers and finishing waxes/sealants. It's overkill imho for a daily driver unless you just really enjoy the work.

I'm not aware of any stores that carry Klasse, and clay bar kits are quite expensive at the shop. For about the cost of two typical store clay bar kits you can likely pick up a gallon of solution (quick detailer or clay lubricant) an a large 8oz bar of clay and be set for many years. If you want to give the Klasse a try, I recommend ordering the clay stuff at the same time.

If your paint is in very good condition already, then I recommend Meguiars NXT 2.0 tech wax. It can also be used on top of the Klasse for extra protection, and may be sufficient for upkeep making the clay/klasse steps less necessary each time. You may be able to do the clay/klasse once every year or two and refresh the NXT every 3-6 months with good results. NXT wax is commonly available.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i doubt that nxt protects for more than 3 months.... and 3 months might be pushing it.
i wouldn't use AIO as a LSP either. it's good for " in the pinch"

but its durability is short as well.

optimum no rinse wash can be used as a clay lubricant, as well as the correct car wash/shampoo & water solution....

a megs kit by me @ target ( includes 2 bars, 1bottle of QD, 1 small bottle of cleaner wax and a MF towel ) costs like 16 bucks.....

if you want an OTC wax, meg's # 26 yellow tech wax is good.
my black wrangler looked great with clearkote's carnauba moose wax
my new frontier looks awesome with wolfgang's concourse....

there's a lot of products avail on the net !!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
For black and other dark colors a carnauba wax is usually recommended for a deeper, wet look. They come in liquid and paste form. The paste will probably give the best results, but liquid is a little easier to work with. Either way you go you will be happy. Just make sure you listen to the other guys and make sure your paint is clean as well.

I was bored yesterday and waxed my truck. Liquid carnauba in action:

:)

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
^nice!

·
Registered
819 Posts
t/a i detailed, LSP is a pinnacle souveran paste

my buddy's firehawk with liquid woflgang cocours

corvette i detailed with optimum car wax ( spray carnauba )

black navigator i detailed with meg's # 26 tech wax

you can see similar results.... its all about paint prep and the right combinations !!!!

see what works for ya !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow that red t/a looks sweet! That stuff is so expensive, but maybe...just maybe.

Edit: I forgot about spray carnaubas. Thank you Gav! I've never considered trying one before so it slips my mind. I was going to go with a paste next, but maybe it's time for a change? Naw...lol.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i use the OCW alot, I also use it for customer cars, i have had it requested after a first use.

i have black wheels on my camaro and i use the OCW on them after every wash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts