Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know others claim to have painted their chrome bumpers without issue, but I have talked to a trusted local body shop and he told me NOT to do this. He said the electro-plating process will not allow the paint to stick permanently regardless of how much surface preparation is done. He said it may stick for a while, but the first rock or june bug I hit will take a chunk of paint with it. He will not guarantee the work if I go this route.

Anyway, he suggested I get the LE bumpers for him to paint. I can pick up the front one for around $200, but the rear one is over $400 which is WAY too much. Any suggestions on where to pick one up? I have checked Ebay, and noone seems to have any used ones for sale.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sand blast the chrome off and have them power coated the color you want,not sure the cost around you but I can have my rear bumper coated for 50 bucks
I want to keep them body colored. Powder coating might be close, but not an exact match. I considered having them media blasted, but the body shop I talked to says the plating process is more than skin deep.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep looking for now.....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'm interested in this also since I'm getting flares and I think its going to look silly with a chrome bumper

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
some people with LE's on here may swap front ends if they are looking for an aftermarket front bumper. this would save having to cut the LE bumper. Just a thought.

the rear bumper is rather flimsy on these things. I would seriously consider an aftermarket rear bumper and paint it to match

1 - 6 of 6 Posts