Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be doing a few little things to the old girl and got wondering what people thought the best mods for under a hundred bucks are. Anyone have any other ideas?
I'm thinking:
1- Axle Vent Mod
2 -Trailer Wiring relocation
3 - Pathfinder switch plates
4 - Xterra Offroad Lights switch
5 - a second tow hook
6 - Nissan Rogue Key
7 - AEM Drop in Air Filter
8 - a cheap chinesse light bar
9 - upgraded headlights
10 - LED Back up lights

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds cool! is there a kit that i can use to remotely unlock the tail gate? how did you do it?

·
Registered
650 Posts
#1 is best. Please explain #6....never heard of that.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Installed an actuator to operate the tailgate lock and ran wires (through a relay) to the body control module under the drivers side dash. I will be posting a thread with details and pictures in the next few days... (Soon as I'm done with the honey-do list :)

Will be attaching all my technical mods to a build thread as well...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squall_Line_ -You can re-program a Nissan Rogue key to work with the Frontier key. The Nissan Rogue key has all the unlock, lock and panic buttons built into the key, instead of needing the separate fob. You just need the Transponder from one of your Frontiers keys to make it work. I just attached a Pic of the instructions i have to do it all.

geekmyride- that would be great! I'll look forward to having a read! That sounds pretty trick, i like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Installed an actuator to operate the tailgate lock and ran wires (through a relay) to the body control module under the drivers side dash. I will be posting a thread with details and pictures in the next few days... (Soon as I'm done with the honey-do list :)

Will be attaching all my technical mods to a build thread as well...

I also did this. It's one of the most convenient mods out there. It took me about 40 bucks in parts and an hour of time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm going to be doing a few little things to the old girl and got wondering what people thought the best mods for under a hundred bucks are. Anyone have any other ideas?
I'm thinking:
1- Axle Vent Mod
5 - a second tow hook
6 - Nissan Rogue Key
9 - upgraded headlights
10 - LED Back up lights
Link to the easy DIY mods thread.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/easy-mods-thread-13631/

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is ridiculously overpriced. You can piece together everything you need for this mod for around $30
Depends on how you value your time. I don't want to engineer a solution on my own and piece things together. The price of having everything ready to go was worth it. The warranty on a company's product is worth it as well.

I have the kit and the first one had a defect where the plastic nub that pushes/pulls the locking arm sheered off. A call to the manufacturer and 48hrs later I had a replacement.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Depends on how you value your time. I don't want to engineer a solution on my own and piece things together. The price of having everything ready to go was worth it. The warranty on a company's product is worth it as well.

I have the kit and the first one had a defect where the plastic nub that pushes/pulls the locking arm sheered off. A call to the manufacturer and 48hrs later I had a replacement.
There's plenty of tutorials around here, so its not too bad. Either way, it is still overpriced. An actuator, 15-20 ft of wiring, and all the other little bits for $90? That's insane.

As far as mods for under $100 go, if your headlights aren't fogged up and nasty, put some clear film on them:

I have a similar product on my close to 10 year old car and the headlights still look great. I've had the Xpel kit on my truck for close to 2 years now with no issues.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I'm thinking:
1- Axle Vent Mod
5 - a second tow hook
6 - Nissan Rogue Key
9 - upgraded headlights
10 - LED Back up lights
11. LED strips for the bed, connected to the interior cargo lamp switch
12. LED interior lamp upgrade

It's not some super technical installation requiring an actual engineer to drill two holes and run a pair of wires.

Also - "value your time" sounds funny considering I installed mine in about 45 minutes for $20 and it is working flawlessly, while you spent $90 one day, got a defective unit, and had to wait another 48 hours for a replacement? Heh
::wink::

There's plenty of tutorials around here, so its not too bad. Either way, it is still overpriced. An actuator, 15-20 ft of wiring, and all the other little bits for $90? That's insane.
I think I spent a total of $20 to do mine, that included a pair of actuators (only needed one of course, got the second one just in case), wire, heatshrink, two screws, a waterproof plug, and about 45 minutes tops on install time. I have mine wired to the rear door locks, so with the tailgate locks/unlocks with the interior door lock switch, and 1x unlock on the remote fob still only unlocks the drivers door; 2x unlocks all doors - including the tailgate. So convenient knowing that when you lock your doors you don't have to worry about "wait - did I lock my tailgate?"

·
Registered
239 Posts
I paid the $90. Much cleaner install than rigging your own design. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've been looking at the LED light strips for the bed, definitely would come in handy loading and unloading in the evenings. I'll have to have a look into them. How hard is it to wire them into the cargo lamp switch?

I get what Risk636 is saying, sometimes it's just easier and quicker to buy a kit even if its more $, it depends on skill level a bit to. I also get wanting to do mods for as cheap as possible, big fan of that!

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
I've been looking at the LED light strips for the bed, definitely would come in handy loading and unloading in the evenings. I'll have to have a look into them. How hard is it to wire them into the cargo lamp switch?

I get what Risk636 is saying, sometimes it's just easier and quicker to buy a kit even if its more $, it depends on skill level a bit to. I also get wanting to do mods for as cheap as possible, big fan of that!
If you know how to splice wires then there's nothing hard about installing the LEDs in the bed. The wiring part is simply tapping into the cargo light harness, I ran wires behind the rear pillar all the way up to the cargo light assembly itself to make my connections since it was pretty easy.

And ok - I get what Risk636 is saying too, there are things I've purchased with a little more money for the convenience of it, but the only reason why I made a comment here was because that kit is so overpriced for what components are required - which is really only two things: a roll of wire (about $10 max) and a door lock actuator kit ($5 for a cheapo one, around $20 for a reliable one, anything higher is OEM or just overpriced). If the complete kit mentioned was $30-40, then that's reasonable... $90 just seemed way too much, especially for something that isn't "bling" related.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool, I think the bed LED strip just moved up the list. I think that would work great! Considering its dark 90 % of the time in the winter in the Yukon lol Thanks for the idea!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts