Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at a handful of threads and most posted LEDs are expires or cheap Chinese made ones.
Who makes the best and most reliable led replacement headlights for frontier?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've been using DDM tuning for over 7 years now and they never fail on me.

These are their newest, best bang for your buck set of LED bulbs
DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

Keep in mind that the headlight LED technology is rapidly growing. Soon, it will be up in par with HID and competitive prices :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Keep in mind that the headlight LED technology is rapidly growing. Soon, it will be up in par with HID and competitive prices :)

thanks, i'll check it out.

Looks like they have no 9007 for Frontier so it's a no go :/

·
Registered
141 Posts

Are these plug and plug, or do the sockets require modification?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 2006 Frontier uses 9007-size bulbs. There are a massive amount of LED and HID retrofit bulb kits available in the 9007 size.
They all seem to be in the $20-$40 range and are going to be coming from China. Good luck even finding a US or European made product. Luckily, the Chinese are very good with LED's.
The LED's I have seen very recently (in person) are brighter than HID and also more compact. The trick with the LED is the heat dissipation. Some LED headlight bulbs have mini electric fans on them (dumb idea!) or aluminum finnned heat sinks, while the newer ones have a copper cloth braid that hangs out the back (like a pony tail). Those heat sinks GET HOT so beware. If the heat management is good, then the LED's will last a VERY long time. LED's also consume less power than halogen, while generating more light than a halogen.

The one major drawback to LED retrofitting is that the LED bulb is not a single omni-directional light source like a halogen. It is actually two (usually) diodes on one side of the "bulb" and two one the opposite side. Like this:

So installing these you will get a BRIGHTER, nice color light, but the light will not be thrown as far down the road as a halogen. This is because the LED design does not interact with your headlight reflector very efficiently, which was carefully designed for an omni-directional halogen bulb. So an LED be brighter at a short distance due to the raw increased lumen output, but you are losing out on the far distance.
This is the reason I have stuck to halogen bulbs, but I do use premium bulbs from GE that work significantly better than the $3.95 ones at pep boys.

As long as you purchase a kit for the size of bulb your vehicle uses (9007, 9005, H4, etc), it will be plug and play.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I stick to regular halogens, the $19.99/2 kind. The warmer hue works better in the fog and rain here and that's when I'm most concerned about light. They also tend to last a very long time and can be had anywhere.

Those pigtail heatsinks look like a fire hazard, no thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 2006 Frontier uses 9007-size bulbs. There are a massive amount of LED and HID retrofit bulb kits available in the 9007 size.
They all seem to be in the $20-$40 range and are going to be coming from China. Good luck even finding a US or European made product. Luckily, the Chinese are very good with LED's.
The LED's I have seen very recently (in person) are brighter than HID and also more compact. The trick with the LED is the heat dissipation. Some LED headlight bulbs have mini electric fans on them (dumb idea!) or aluminum finnned heat sinks, while the newer ones have a copper cloth braid that hangs out the back (like a pony tail). Those heat sinks GET HOT so beware. If the heat management is good, then the LED's will last a VERY long time. LED's also consume less power than halogen, while generating more light than a halogen.

The one major drawback to LED retrofitting is that the LED bulb is not a single omni-directional light source like a halogen. It is actually two (usually) diodes on one side of the "bulb" and two one the opposite side. Like this:

So installing these you will get a BRIGHTER, nice color light, but the light will not be thrown as far down the road as a halogen. This is because the LED design does not interact with your headlight reflector very efficiently, which was carefully designed for an omni-directional halogen bulb. So an LED be brighter at a short distance due to the raw increased lumen output, but you are losing out on the far distance.
This is the reason I have stuck to halogen bulbs, but I do use premium bulbs from GE that work significantly better than the $3.95 ones at pep boys.

As long as you purchase a kit for the size of bulb your vehicle uses (9007, 9005, H4, etc), it will be plug and play.

i have seen those, though i don't trust that they will be as reliable as Halogen lights would, low output ones anyways. high output Halogen burns out every 6 months it seems.
i may have to spend the money and get HID retrofit done as i like to achieve high output, high lumen and also have it reliable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have used HID retro's in the past too, but not on a Frontier.
The issue with those is similar to the LED, the light source is not a the focal point of the reflector. So you end up throwing really bright an obnoxious light all over the place, making enemies out of everyone you shine your lights on when driving at night.
The stock reflector is designed for a halogen, it puts the light where you need it without the glare. HID and LED, well... you dont know exactly where that light will end up, but it is will be bright.

A good test is to to park on level ground 10 foot from a blank wall. Make sure lights are aimed correctly, then install HID or LED into one headlamp. Compare the beam patterns between the two. You will see noticeable differences, mostly in the form of scatter, in the LED and HID compared to halogen.

In my experience, HID bulb conversions, really only work at an acceptable level when installed in a projector headlight, but even then, it is sometimes hit and miss. I even swapped in a complete Cadillac CTS-V projector/bulb/ballast into a Nissan S14 and that actually did work very well because the projector lens was designed for the HID.

I used to do a lot of headlight modifications years ago in all sorts of cars. It was fun, but now I just like the simplicity and effectiveness of using the bulb that the reflector was designed for. Good light throw and I am not pissing off everyone that is coming toward me.

But these days, if you need more light....its all about the LED LIGHT BARS BRO!

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
If you want better lighting THE best way to go about it is to do a full retrofit. All the pieces in the kit are matched to one another & will give you an amazing output. Go to the RetrofitSource.com & check out the kits they have. You can definitely find cheaper kits out there than what they offer, BUT when it comes to something as important as your headlights do you really want to go the cheap route?? The old saying of 'you get what you pay for' certainly rings true for headlight equipment. Now, with all that being said they do offer cheap-er kits than their house &/or name brands. Look for a member by the name of Street Sweeper & ask him about his retrofit. He posted a few pics of it in the 'what have you done to your frontier lately' thread & the output is actually really good for it being a "budget retrofit".

If you don't want to or can't shell out the money for a full retrofit that's not a problem either. They have very nice HID kits available as well. I've been running their 9007 Elite kit for the past year or so & have had zero problems with it. I know & understand that putting HIDs in a reflector housing isn't the correct thing to do (I'm working on retrofitting another set). However, if you use good quality parts, aim your lights correctly & don't go crazy with getting some 100 watt system you'll be fine. I very rarely get flashed from on coming traffic, but I thought about that when I bought the system & opted for the 35W kit to help keep that from happening.

Also, as others have mentioned, putting LED bulbs in reflector headlights isn't a great idea. The light scatter they create is MUCH worse than even my HID setup I'm running. There is one good thing about installing a good quality HID kit though & that is when you're ready for your full retrofit the wiring harness, ballasts, & igniters are already in place. So, all you have to do is mount your headlights, check the rotation of the projector, adjust the height, & a few other things & you're good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts