Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Now there's a loaded question! You trying to incite a riot here or what? :lol:

Seriously, it really depends on your budget, and what your looking for. If all you want is more sound, a muffler swap is probably the most economical. If your looking for performance, then probably any one of the Cat back systems will deliver, as will the CAI's! I really doubt there is a big difference between one brand or another. Some may claim more gains, but when you see real world dyno results, none of them ever seem to match watch the maker claims. So, when it comes to a CAI, go with whay fits you budget and give the look you want. For the exhaust, same thing applies, stay within your budget and get the sound your looking for. Otherwise, I'd say they are all within 1-2 hp of one another, and unless you actually put it on a dyno, you'll never feel that small a difference!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll stick my neck out & say Volant intake, JBA Headers & Exhaust. Why? Because that's what I have & will soon have. :lol:

In all seriousness though I'd have to agree with Paul 100%.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would think that the most economic and probably best would be any CAI, a non-restrictive "Y" pipe and a performance muffler of most any make.

IMHO

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
Now there's a loaded question! You trying to incite a riot here or what? :lol:

Seriously, it really depends on your budget, and what your looking for. If all you want is more sound, a muffler swap is probably the most economical. If your looking for performance, then probably any one of the Cat back systems will deliver, as will the CAI's! I really doubt there is a big difference between one brand or another. Some may claim more gains, but when you see real world dyno results, none of them ever seem to match watch the maker claims. So, when it comes to a CAI, go with whay fits you budget and give the look you want. For the exhaust, same thing applies, stay within your budget and get the sound your looking for. Otherwise, I'd say they are all within 1-2 hp of one another, and unless you actually put it on a dyno, you'll never feel that small a difference!
any good sites where I can look at some of the CAI products?

nvm i found some haha buty eah from your guy's experience with intake which would you suggest for me to get, under 500 and also an exhaust system?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
outlnder said:
I would think that the most economic and probably best would be any CAI, a non-restrictive "Y" pipe and a performance muffler of most any make.

IMHO
^^^^what he said.

i have an aFe intake that i am very pleased with

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you're not worried about Smog checks, I highly recommend the K&N 63-6014. I really, really like it, it makes a wonderful sound on 3/4 acceleration and up, it is relatively cheap by being under $300.

As for muffler, I am moving toward the SpinTech Truck/RV series for around $100.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
outlnder said:
If you're not worried about Smog checks, I highly recommend the K&N 63-6014. I really, really like it, it makes a wonderful sound on 3/4 acceleration and up, it is relatively cheap by being under $300.

As for muffler, I am moving toward the SpinTech Truck/RV series for around $100.
what do you mean by not being worried about smog checks is there somethign wrong?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Paul said it best. we can all tell you what we have, but that will not necessarily be the
right set up for you. I bought a Volant because I like the looks of it and the fact that the filter is in a closed box with very little chance of water entering it.

I went with the Pro-Flo dual in dual out muffler with a pair of 12" resonators just in
front of the muffler. I wanted something that was not too loud and I wanted a true dual
exhaust.

There is a thread that was a couple up from this one that has pictures of several of
the CAI systems for you to look at.

Good luck with your choice.

Okiescot

·
Registered
361 Posts
x3_1234 said:
outlnder said:

what do you mean by not being worried about smog checks is there somethign wrong?
My K&N is not presently smog legal in California. Your state may have different regs. Like Nevada, they can modify anything they want as long as it passes yearly smog tests( at least that was the way it was when I lived there).

I'm told that by the time I need a smog check, my CAI will be approved by C.A.R.B.(California Air Resouces Board).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Pele said:
has anyone put Flows on their trucks?
i've got custom 2.5" piping from the cats back going into a 40 series Flowmaster. i believe a few other people on the board have the 40 series also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
yeah i like the sound of the 40 series....thats why I asked...who did your work?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Pele said:
yeah i like the sound of the 40 series....thats why I asked...who did your work?
Jerauld's Mufflers here in San Diego. they've been in business for over 60 years and have a long history of building salt flat cars and roadsters.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's so hard to choose, im trying to save money at the same time but the good products like injen and gibson intake/exhaust systems are over 300.

·
Registered
733 Posts
x3_1234 said:
it's so hard to choose, im trying to save money at the same time but the good products like injen and gibson intake/exhaust systems are over 300.
are ypu planning to buy the whole package at the same time?

i just got the JBA SS and will wait a few months to get the Injen

1 - 20 of 41 Posts