Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay someones gotta have some experience with this. I'm looking for a GPS navigation that either in-dash or mountable. I love google earth on my laptop and was wondering if theres any gps/navigation products currently on the market that could compare to it. I'm specifically for something thats going to find trails for me, hopefully in 3D. If anyone has any input or suggestions please let me know. I'll post anything I come across also.

Just so you know what I'm talking about when i say find trails in 3D..

these are my old stomping grounds when i first moved to vegas.

should i invent this or has someone made it.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
That seems like it would take a lot of effort. Something that would be cool is if you type in a specific area and the gps marks out heavily used trails. Would most likely not work in wooded areas, but the desert it would work with. Sorry don't know of anything

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would recommend building a carputer with a gps unit and using google earth or something similar. I am not sure if google earth uses GPS, but I am sure there is something like it that does. I am going to begin working on a carputer soon and a gps will be one of the features that it will have. You are looking at a carputer for under $500 with many features and a GPS unit that can do 3D maps would probably cost you a pretty penny.

Or (It just hit me as I was writting) get a smart phone like an HTC touch pro or similar and install google maps. Granted, you will need to have internet access (basically a strong 3g type signal) where you are going. A carputer technically does need internet access to do this, but there are ways to predownload the pictures of where you are going.

Let me know if you decide to go with a carputer, I would love to help someone out with this, basically make you a guinea pig lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
try Oziexplorer also. it has 3d terrain mapping.
it can open/save waypoints.

if you want live gps with Google Earth, use this. Earth Bridge .

with your laptop, just plug in a USB GPS receiver.
I have a Globalsat BU-353, it works great and cheap.
Just cache google earth data or tether a phone with internet data.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you know the general area you are headed ahead of time the PN series handheld GPSs from DeLorme will get you pretty much all the data you want. They are really more of a handheld unit for hikers bikers and Geocache people but they will work for what you are looking to do. You also have to use a PC initially to put what maps you want on to it. they have a map subscription that allows you to download all the different data sets for your area.

You can also use their Topo application with a carputer and that can be found pretty cheap online.

I myself am partial to google maps on my blackberry...real live data, including satellite images of exactly where I am.

·
Registered
90 Posts
From all the advice above, I think anything that requires constant data should be something that you consider thoroughly. Imagine how SOL you will be if for some reason you don't get data where you are going.

Anything with preloaded maps would probably suit you best and would be pretty reliable. Take it from someone that uses their phone for data often, it is very unreliable and will not have constant speeds even in big cities, nevertheless in the desert.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
cd85233, do you know of any 7" touchscreens are fast enough to compare to 3gb of ram and atleast 1ghz processor.

try Oziexplorer also. it has 3d terrain mapping.
it can open/save waypoints.

if you want live gps with Google Earth, use this. Earth Bridge .

with your laptop, just plug in a USB GPS receiver.
I have a Globalsat BU-353, it works great and cheap.
Just cache google earth data or tether a phone with internet data.
i have i verizon laptop air card thats always been really really reliable. No other service has come close. I've only been one place, so far, where it didnt work... offroading near the hoover dam.

Not sure how to cache google earth data.

·
Registered
90 Posts
cd85233, do you know of any 7" touchscreens are fast enough to compare to 3gb of ram and atleast 1ghz processor.

i have i verizon laptop air card thats always been really really reliable. No other service has come close. I've only been one place, so far, where it didnt work... offroading near the hoover dam.

Not sure how to cache google earth data.
Are you asking for a computer that is a touchscreen? I am sure they are around but I havent seen any. Granted, they would be expensive and probably not as small at 7" to fit in the double-din of our cars.. I would just suggest using what you have now, but buying a touch screen lcd. I think lilliput has some and are often used in carputers.

Make sure that wherever you are going if you are using cell-data that you look at the coverage maps to see if you will have some sort of signal, 3g would be best but you can patiently get away with evdo or rx1.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was at Borders yesterday and if you go to the travel section there are quite a few books on Trails for various states. plenty for ca, NV, AZ etc.

I found a few i might pick up called California Trails.. they have all the diff regions for Ca, They have maps of the roads, what they offer as far as camping, sites etc.. as well as difficulty levels and descriptions.

They also have the GPS coordinates so you can enter them in your GPS and know where you are at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts