Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a new head unit.

I currently have an Pioneer AVIC D2, and it works fine, but sometimes the mod bug bites you and you have to do something about it lol.

I want a DD unit, from a reputable company. Other options are flexible.

It does not have to be NAVI, but w/o built in navi, I dont want to pay more than 400 ish, b/c i would have to buy a separate navi for the windshield.

With navi, I would spend more, but not like $1k. Maybe 700 if it was really nice headunit.

I want lots of RMS power, and CEA 2006 compliant.

Want hd radio and bluetooth options, and ipod options.

I have looked all over crutchfield, but none of those units are 'wow-ing' me enough to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
just had the Pioneer 4200DVD installed yesterday and spent all day playing with it and honestly - THIS THING ROCKS!

i have the HD radio and Sirius adapters along with the steering wheel controls and Ipod cable hook-up and am 1000% happy with my decision to go with it!

if you are looking for a nav unit why not go the OEM way:
housing: 2008 - 2010 Nissan Frontier Portable Navigation $96 + S&H

unit: Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 765/765T 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic: Electronics

i have this setup in my '10 and am happy with it, only drawback is that with the non-OEM Nissan nav unit it doesn't play through the speakers but the volume on the unit is loud enough on its own that i dont need the speaker set-up

hope this helps & best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like a sick HU.

But for the $300+ extra worth of navi stuff, why didnt you get a HU with built in NAV? Is that garmin unit a top model and much better than the pioneer built in units?

Not trying to be critical, just wondering

· Premium Member
196 Posts
hey,

no critisism taken at all ! the reason i went with the OEM setup is if i ever need to i can take the NAV unit out of the truck or take it and use it in another vehicle or if i take the truck in for service or mods i can take it out !

NO the 765 is not the best unit out there but with the OEM dock you are limited to the 7** series because of how the later model Nuvi's are powered and attach to the dock itself.

i REALLY wanted to do a 1300 series but went to Best Buy with the dock before i installed it and it wouldnt attach and close properly without any modification to either :(

i had an 09 Chevy Colorado before the PRO and had a Kenwood in-dash DD HU with nav and there were times i wanted/needed to take it with me but couldnt

hope this helps just a bit & best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

Do you plan on uploading pictures of it installed?

· Premium Member
196 Posts
can do !

here you go - 1 pic with system off & 1 pic with system on

didnt change the background YET - trying to find just the right one (wink wink nudge nudge) :laugh:

only issue i have is the METRA dash kit does not match the interior dark charcoal color - gotta hit dealer and see if they sell matching spray paint !

hope these at least give you an idea and if there is any help i can offer let me know !

Attachments

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks good, and I want that HU!

I may wait and see how much Pioneer sells the add on Nav kit for, and see my options.

The AVIC D2 still works fine, but ur 4200 unit looks sick!

Did you get a remote with yours?

Or did you just do the steering wheel one?

· Premium Member
196 Posts
i have the steering wheel controls set-up FOR NOW (work great) - have read a few reviews on the remote and they are so-so so may hold off for awhile on that add-on.

the place that installed even put a switch under the glove compartment so i can watch DVD's while driving (illegal here in PA, not sure if that's a nationwide law though)

just went to Lowes to get paint but i put up a post as to how to remove the dash kit - HATE the mismatch

best of luck !

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, gl with the unit.

· Registered
17,617 Posts
imo can't go wrong with a double DIN pioneer HU. the nav on my D3 isn't the best but i've got a MotoDroid for that now. it does absolutely everything else i've ever asked of it flawlessly. i've had mine for over 2 years now and it has given me nothing but trouble free, easy to use service. most of the new pioneers come with BT built in and the ipod adapters are a cheap add on

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been looking at the Pioneer AVH 3200 recently...

looks good, reasonably priced, but I do not need the DVD player...

For nav i prob would the factory Garmin set up thing. Hopefully i could also use the Garmin on my motorcycle too.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
my ONLY complaint with the 4200 (and very minor) is that it limits you to 1 custom background pic that you have to off-load from a SD card - would love the option to have more to choose from

thing is 100 times better then the stock unit!

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, i would be upgrding from the Avic D2, not stock.

So i need something a lot better than the D2, and the 3200 looks great (appearence)

· Registered
163 Posts
I really like my Pioneer...see my sig for the model.

Simple enough that it gets the job done without having complicated functions to manipulate while driving.

· Registered
210 Posts
I use a Pioneer Premier FH-800BT. (or the FH-8000BT is the same thing)

It is just like the 3200, but no dvd or screen. Why would someone want a tiny DVD player in their car?

It has all the capabilities you can think of and a really good built in bluetooth handsfree. People complain about the blue illumination, but I think it is really good because you can see everything during the day and can just easily turn it off during the night. Lastly, it is really good for USB: It has a long rear USB cable and you can put it through the factory Aux jack hole or the button beside the 4x4 dial.

IMO, a potable GPS is much better than a built-in for many reasons. I can make a huge list, but I'm lazy. The OME housing is a good idea too.

Both are not perfect HU by any means, but really good for the price. The high end Kenwoods with built in everything are nice, but they cost over 1k. Who wants to pay that much for just a HU with a lot of useless and a lot of the time really quirky features? Still to something simple that is easy to easy and works correctly when picking a HU. If you want better sound, change all speakers and get an amp for $300-500.

· Registered
30 Posts
i just got the alpine ina-w900 installed and love it.. it has built in gps (which i wanted), dvd player, ipod ready as well. A cool feature to is that you can change the color to match the amber in our trucks so it looks more oemish.. and if you want you can pick up the bluetooth module as well and it works nicely with my phone.. made the sounds a lot better (i did upgrade the speakers tho)

· Registered
220 Posts
for me its going to be the Pioneer Premier FH-800BT or the Clarion CX609 (728 Variable-Color Illumination is sweet). Cant go wrong with either.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the 800BT may be ok, but I am not sure I like the look of it.

Companies do not make enough DD HU's without the GPS or DVD players...

· Registered
220 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.