Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2017 4 door, what are some good sealed boxes that will fit? Also, would dual 10”be too much for such a confined box? or would 1 be better? I’m looking for a lot of boom so I’d prefer dual 10” if anyone has experience and knows they sound good, what are some good subs that will have the proper depth mount? Lastly, is firing up or down better? I had a Ford explorer last so I just had a regular box so no experience with up/down firing. I appreciate yalls help!

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
I have a dual 10” prefab with a pair of JL’s, works fine, almost too loud.

Look for the down-firing boxes, they have more mounting depth. You can find many prefabs for 2005-up crew cab using Google or eBay or Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a dual 10” prefab with a pair of JL’s, works fine, almost too loud.

Look for the down-firing boxes, they have more mounting depth. You can find many prefabs for 2005-up crew cab using Google or eBay or Amazon.
which JL’s do you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at some Skar VD-10 D4’s, they have a mounting depth of 4.41” and I found a box with mounting depth of 4.5” and 1.0 cu. ft. of air space. Do you think I need to look for a sub thats more shallow and/or try to find a bigger box w/ more air space? Sorry for buggin’ ya lol I never had to think about this, before since i had the space all i did was throw everything together and made sure the amp could handle the subs. Thanks a ton!

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
I was looking at some Skar VD-10 D4’s, they have a mounting depth of 4.41” and I found a box with mounting depth of 4.5” and 1.0 cu. ft. of air space. Do you think I need to look for a sub thats more shallow and/or try to find a bigger box w/ more air space? Sorry for buggin’ ya lol I never had to think about this, before since i had the space all i did was throw everything together and made sure the amp could handle the subs. Thanks a ton!
1. You found a dual 10" enclosure with 4.5" depth and 1-cu.ft. of air space? LOL link it, I want to see it.
2. Only because you asked: I think you should look for something other than Skar subs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. You found a dual 10" enclosure with 4.5" depth and 1-cu.ft. of air space? LOL link it, I want to see it.
2. Only because you asked: I think you should look for something other than Skar subs.
1.) https://www.carid.com/qpower/10-2-hole-downward-firing-sealed-subwoofer-enclosure-mpn-bqfrontier102005.html?singleid=1067951828&url=89171545
Why do you laugh, is that bad specs?:(

2.) Got it, will avoid skar lol, You have any recommendation for some non-crazy expensive subs? Got that military budget lol

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
1. Never mind... I thought you said "1.0 cu-ft. per side" :oops:

2.10TW-1's are not "crazy-expensive;" there's definitely more expensive options out there... but if you're "looking for a lot of boom" it's not cheap. there is a definite difference between listening to bass from a good sub woofer as opposed to a low-budget sub woofer, and I'm not going to recommend crappy things :cool:

That said, you can find some decent (and recognized brand name) shallow sub woofers that can work with the enclosure above for less $$. But they won't give as much "boom".

·
Registered
23 Posts
1.) https://www.carid.com/qpower/10-2-hole-downward-firing-sealed-subwoofer-enclosure-mpn-bqfrontier102005.html?singleid=1067951828&url=89171545
Why do you laugh, is that bad specs?:(

2.) Got it, will avoid skar lol, You have any recommendation for some non-crazy expensive subs? Got that military budget lol
I bought the same box and ordered 2 Kicker Comp VT subs, you have no choice but to go shallow mount. The subs are quite beefy regardless so i am convinced they will still bring the thunder, i am running this amp for them.

Subs -

Amp -

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dont be afraid to venture outside of the world of Rockford, Kicker, Alpine(type r is great) MTX, JL(w3 pounds)etc.
Theres much better subs out there if you look around. American Bass, Soundqubed, Incriminator, Brutal Sounds, SSA, Sundown, DC, and the list goes on. I've found these subs run true RMS watts and are just all around built better. They get very loud. Obviously mounting depth becomes the issue as stated above, however I've heard some shallow mounts, and Skar in these trucks and wasnt impressed.

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
Dont be afraid to venture outside of the world of Rockford, Kicker, Alpine(type r is great) MTX, JL(w3 pounds)etc.
Theres much better subs out there if you look around. American Bass, Soundqubed, Incriminator, Brutal Sounds, SSA, Sundown, DC, and the list goes on. I've found these subs run true RMS watts and are just all around built better. They get very loud. Obviously mounting depth becomes the issue as stated above, however I've heard some shallow mounts, and Skar in these trucks and wasnt impressed.
Welp... that's two votes against Skar.
Sundown's are nuts but last I checked they don't have anything that is shallow enough.
A lot of the smaller "boutique" brands do make good subs, but a lot of them do it by overbuilding... which means the subs are physically huge.

Hey weren't you supposed to go back to FB? :cool: I'm kidding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's the problem I ran into. This box called for 6.5 mounting depth which was a stretch, and finding a beefy sub with that depth was tough. I heard two 8" sundown shallow mounts and it was kind of wimpy. Brutal sounds was legitimately the only 12 I could find with a 6" mounting depth. I think the Incriminator I series was close too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts