Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
So a about a month ago I went offroading (Oriflamme Canyon, eastern San Diego if you're wondering). Had a great time with my boy and nephew but did get about to the limit of the truck in stock condition and to the limits of my driving capabilities.

I was pretty carful, but I did bottom out a couple times, but softly (so I thought).

I did an after event inspection and all looked pretty good. A few scratches on the frame. A crushed resonator (ouch) and then I noticed that it looked like the center support for the drive shaft was canted backwards.

but I could be wrong. I've never taken notice of the center support's orientation. So I've got some photos; hopefully someone else with a 4x4 CC LWB and confirm.

Automotive lighting Asphalt Road surface Plant Line

this was taken with the phone parallel to the chassis. I used a right angle from the driveway to try to show what perpendicular would be. Of course, the front of the truck is slightly lower than the rear.

I looked at the support and I can't see any bends or any cracks in the paint. There is, though, a gouge on the leading edge of the bracket.

The only indication that anything moved is this one:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

This is the gas tank. It looks like the metal strap that hols the tank in place slid back and took off a little layer of the plastic. It also looks like the strap is back about 1/4" from where it used to be.

So, anyone got a photo of the underside of their 4x4 CC LWB that we can use for a comparison?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
4,681 Posts
Hey all.
So a about a month ago I went offroading (Oriflamme Canyon, eastern San Diego if you're wondering). Had a great time with my boy and nephew but did get about to the limit of the truck in stock condition and to the limits of my driving capabilities.

I was pretty carful, but I did bottom out a couple times, but softly (so I thought).

I did an after event inspection and all looked pretty good. A few scratches on the frame. A crushed resonator (ouch) and then I noticed that it looked like the center support for the drive shaft was canted backwards.

but I could be wrong. I've never taken notice of the center support's orientation. So I've got some photos; hopefully someone else with a 4x4 CC LWB and confirm.

View attachment 355828
this was taken with the phone parallel to the chassis. I used a right angle from the driveway to try to show what perpendicular would be. Of course, the front of the truck is slightly lower than the rear.

I looked at the support and I can't see any bends or any cracks in the paint. There is, though, a gouge on the leading edge of the bracket.

The only indication that anything moved is this one:
View attachment 355829
This is the gas tank. It looks like the metal strap that hols the tank in place slid back and took off a little layer of the plastic. It also looks like the strap is back about 1/4" from where it used to be.

So, anyone got a photo of the underside of their 4x4 CC LWB that we can use for a comparison?

Thanks for your time.
If it drives as smoothly now as it did before the adventure, I think you're good.
If there was damage to the driveshaft, you'd feel good good good vibrations.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to tell from that picture, but is the center support at the same angle the driveshaft is?
No. The shaft would be at roughly a right angle (perpendicular to) the standing ruler of the right angle that I have standing up. So it's canted backwards maybe 10-15°.

I was hoping some of my CC LWB brethren would chime in. Maybe if I put there names in this thread.

@JDog2pt0 ; @RockMechanic ; @Equaliz3r ;

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
No. The shaft would be at roughly a right angle (perpendicular to) the standing ruler of the right angle that I have standing up. So it's canted backwards maybe 10-15°.

I was hoping some of my CC LWB brethren would chime in. Maybe if I put there names in this thread.

@JDog2pt0 ; @RockMechanic ; @Equaliz3r ;
Next time you see a similar truck in a parking lot or used car lot....have a peek.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
411 Posts
I think you may be right about it being bent. I took the driveshaft off my 2007 4x4 LB once to replace the center carrier bearing, and seem to remember that support being parallel. Correct me if I am wrong, but is the front of the truck to the Right in your picture, so it would have been bent 'back' from impact while off-roading? Do you have pictures of crossmember?

IMHO, it looks tweaked. Shouldn't affect anything as the center carrier bearing is rubber mounted. It may cause the rubber mounting to fail prematurely, but the bearing isn't tough to replace. You could probably tweak it back with a little leverage if you wanted.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
920 Posts
I'll take a look here in a hour, I will try and take some photos for you to compare. I've not taken my truck off road (or done anything crazy with it) so we should be able to use mine as a baseline.

Edit: I got distracted with something, I'm off tomorrow so I'll take a look at it then and get pictures.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@butterman2473 , thanks. I'll do that. I bet the truck will have a unicorn in the back, too (you know...due to the scarcity of 4x4 LWB's). But to answer your previous statement. It does drive just as smoothly. But it's a brand new truck (just about), so I'm being extra diligent on it's care.

@RockMechanic , thanks. Believe it or not, the trail was not supposed to be that crazy. Where i think I did it was a rise in a dirt part of the trail that just happened to have a large rock that hit about dead center. On the way up I think it tagged my resonator. On the way back I went slower and I think that's what put the gouge in the support (and possibly bent it). Then the trail got rougher from there but I was much more cautious and didn't strike the bottom any more.

Reactions: Lobo1625

·
Registered
920 Posts
@California Gator

Ok,

I got some bad news. Yours is bent.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

Looking at my truck mine is "almost" perpendicular to the ground (like within 5*). (Looking at my pictures I realize it's not the best for comparision) but from what I saw it does not look the same. Try and get a look at the mounting points of that shaft support see if it's bent there.

·
Registered
2007 Frontier CC
311 Posts
@California Gator

Ok,

I got some bad news. Yours is bent.
View attachment 356137
Looking at my truck mine is "almost" perpendicular to the ground (like within 5*). (Looking at my pictures I realize it's not the best for comparision) but from what I saw it does not look the same. Try and get a look at the mounting points of that shaft support see if it's bent there.
Yours appears to be roughly at the same angle the driveshaft is at.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yours appears to be roughly at the same angle the driveshaft is at.
Which makes sense, I've almost never seen a drive shaft support not be within a tolerance, even on drilling rigs (which is mainly just a driveshaft going through gearboxes straight into the ground), and crap on those would get bent all the time.

@California Gator
And for the OP, when going off road you have to take utmost care to not go too slow in certain situations, because what could of been a high (instant) loading (which steel can take with minimal deflection aka a dent) on a structural member became a concentrated loading over time (basically you had the full weight of the vehicle on that reinforcement at some point) and that cause it to just bend. I'd almost say you are lucky you didn't have a skid plate there because it would of been a huge PITA to try and remove after it got bent to get access to all of that for repairs.

My recommendations, get it repaired, and eventually try and get the vehicle lifted to fit larger tires to minimize this concurring again. Install a skid plate only if its 3/8in thick material, as anything thinner will want to bend under the weight of the truck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Eurow: Now I see what you mean. You meant the angle of the bottom being at the same angle (parallel) with the drive shaft. Yep, mine certainly is not.

@RockMechanic. Ugh. That thing is welded in place, too. yeah, I know about steel and all...well at least my engineering degree says I do. And yeah, shoulda done something different going over that rise. I didn't realize that I would high center.

And yes, I do plan to do something about the suspension and tires to get more ground clearance. I'm just not there yet (financially).

If I had armor under there, it may have just pushed the dirt and the rock out of the way. but, yeah, it coulda been worse.

So now...how to fix it?
- I could try to bend it back in place, Maybe up on a lift and using a come-along to pull it forward while holding the truck in place. But that would weaken that metal further.
- It's probably better to drop the tank, cut it off and have a new one fab'd or take one out of another truck. But finding another 2nd Gen 4x4 LWB. I could go all "FabRats" on a replacement. Wish I lived closer to those guys.
- Maybe I do the first until I can find a replacement at a yard. I wonder if I can order one from Nissan.

Any recommendations?

At least there doesn't seem to have a big effect on driving. There's no extra vibration (I've driven it from 0 - 75 mph in the past month or so since it happened. And I did use the 4x4 for the rest of the day that day without any issues.

But I'm sure the pinion isn't happy and will probably wear prematurely.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV 4X4
411 Posts
You could probably not worry about it since the carrier bearing is flexing to still allow the driveshaft to keep the correct angle, but the rubber may fatigue and fail sooner than it would otherwise. Personally, I'd be for bending it back. The Come-along isn't a bad idea, but honestly, a long breaker bar or a properly braced monkey wrench would probably do the trick. The member is not designed to withstand a rotational torque, only to support the driveshaft, so it should bend back without too much arguing. Good luck!

·
Registered
920 Posts
🐒+🔧. That's me. Monkey with a wrench!

I'll try to take photos and post.
My recommendation, just try to get it a bit more straight, I would personally not aim for it to bend back all the way to what it was because as you likely already know It will not want to bend at the original bend point, for any viewers that don't know, that bend is technically now "hardened/stronger" than the rest of the support.

·
Registered
2009 Pro4x, Bilstein Tswap, Coastal Bumpers, 35" Milestar Pats
401 Posts
Any luck with this? Mine is bent so much that it rubs my drive shaft even when I am not where near full droop.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any luck with this? Mine is bent so much that it rubs my drive shaft even when I am not where near full droop.
No. I emailed a guy who's a former toyota mechanic and a pretty savvy guy who I'd trust helping me with this. He didn't get back to me. I have next Friday off from work so I might try to tackle it then.

I'm still thinking a come-along will be the way to go. A bottle jack might work, but there's nothing that I feel is strong enough on the truck that I can push against.

My tentative plan is to put the truck on a set of ramps. Then position my friends 4runner in front of my truck and use a hitch-mount recovery shackle block. Chalk both the tires. Attach the come-along to the recovery point and the bracket and start cranking.

Oh, @Treleaven, snap a pic if you can so we can all see. The more info the better for the future.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
No. I emailed a guy who's a former toyota mechanic and a pretty savvy guy who I'd trust helping me with this. He didn't get back to me. I have next Friday off from work so I might try to tackle it then.

I'm still thinking a come-along will be the way to go. A bottle jack might work, but there's nothing that I feel is strong enough on the truck that I can push against.

My tentative plan is to put the truck on a set of ramps. Then position my friends 4runner in front of my truck and use a hitch-mount recovery shackle block. Chalk both the tires. Attach the come-along to the recovery point and the bracket and start cranking.

Oh, @Treleaven, snap a pic if you can so we can all see. The more info the better for the future.
I wouldn't put it on ramps without securing the truck frame to something that will not move.
I attached a come along to a chain wrapped around a tree to pull a fender and radiator support forward and it moved the entire truck.

A friend also tried to straighten his rear bumper by securing one end of a come along to my trucks receiver hitch and it didn't do anything but put take up the play on the transmissions that were in "Park".

The frame has to be secured to something otherwise you might pull your truck off the ramps.

I know you're not straightening your frame but this video kinda shows what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
686 Posts
[At least there doesn't seem to have a big effect on driving. There's no extra vibration (I've driven it from 0 - 75 mph in the past month or so since it happened. And I did use the 4x4 for the rest of the day that day without any issues.

But I'm sure the pinion isn't happy and will probably wear prematurely.
Do you have a GoPro type camera & a magnetic mount-type base, along with any type of lightining that has a magnetic base?? Mount the GoPro type camera & the lighting underneath the truck & point it at the drive shaft / carrier bearing area & film it as you drive the truck around. After filming for a good 10-20 mintues, go back & review the footage filmed on the GoPro. It will give you an idea as to how much movement / flex there is while driving the truck.

Just an idea.....

Reactions: California Gator
1 - 20 of 21 Posts