Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benefits of an SAS vs. independent suspension?

It seems like the greatest benefit is mainly less parts to break. Is this the case? Maybe more clearance at times?

I would think that having the wheels being able to move independently of one another would be better for traction in most circumstances. I see all these pics and vids of SASed trucks with one wheel way in the air, not being able to do anything. If that wheel had a long enough travel, would it not be able to help with some grip?

Am I completely wrong here?

· Registered
8,530 Posts
It all depends on the type of wheeling you do to what you require. If you are looking to do prerunner stuff in the desert then IFS is better. If you are looking to do rock crawling then a SAS is better. It all comes down to what you put your truck thru.

Also, parts strength is a big part. It has been reported by others that an IFS set-up has issues handling massive TQ when you have it in 4L with crawler gears. It just puts too much stress on the front axle shafts and CVs.

· Registered
579 Posts
more flex

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It all depends on the type of wheeling you do to what you require. If you are looking to do prerunner stuff in the desert then IFS is better. If you are looking to do rock crawling then a SAS is better. It all comes down to what you put your truck thru.

Also, parts strength is a big part. It has been reported by others that an IFS set-up has issues handling massive TQ when you have it in 4L with crawler gears. It just puts too much stress on the front axle shafts and CVs.
What about this though?

10 2010 Griffin King Of The Hammers Photo

Granted, this is a KOH truck, but it's still IFS in front.... I guess if you have the $$$, you can do anything you want....

· Premium Member
1,976 Posts
solid axle swaps are usually done by guys who rock crawl and or want to run much larger tires than stock. a solid axle is stronger and will survive a lot more skinny pedal and torque to and from the wheels than the stock IFS stuff. the trade off is handling at speed and ride quality.

besides that....its just bragging rights after a job well done.

typically you'll be less stable in the rocks with IFS as well. because both sides always want to push up. with a solid axle....one side goes up....the other goes down.

· Premium Member
960 Posts

This cat has most of the right ideas. You can put much larger tires on with out worring about breaking CVs, Your ground clearance is vastlly improved with those larger tires. If you use the right axle (pref a dana 44 or even dana 60) the front end will be MUCH stronger VS IFS. The flex you can get out of a solid axle just on low budget leaf springs is far superior to IFS. The ride can be tuned be just as good and some times better than the stock ride if you use coil overs and set them up correctly (takes a little knowlage and math) or you can order custom leaf springs from places like Deaver spring or Alcan spring for a "custom" ride. As stated before, all depends on what you want out of the truck.

· Premium Member
1,976 Posts
What about this though?

10 2010 Griffin King Of The Hammers Photo

Granted, this is a KOH truck, but it's still IFS in front.... I guess if you have the $$$, you can do anything you want....
for 100k you can make anything strong. that's a KOH truck and in that race they rock crawl and desert run. i guess it all just depends on what you want to do better.

· Registered
12,596 Posts
watch this vid of my truck. note how none of the tires leave the ground, which optimizes traction. this obstacle would be impassable for 98% of ifs offroad vehicles because of the articulation it requires.
YouTube - roastbeef on the rocks in azusa.

like everything, there are limits. and yes, i have pushed 'em!

· Registered
839 Posts
Damn beef that is some serious wheeling... what you can do in your ride is pretty humbling for a lot of people out there lol

· Premium Member
6,441 Posts
here are my thoughts
if you havent gone beyond the capabilites of IFS yet in your truck then there is no need to SAS

usually people who out grow the capabilites are ready for the SAS , sounds like you need to test your IFS a little more ;)

when your at the point where your saying i cant do the trails i want with IFS without major damage , then you are ready

· Registered
12,596 Posts
^ true.

i kinda did go from a stock 2wd truck to a full blown crawler, but i already knew i was hooked. at the same time, wheeling a 2wd truck really taught me the fundamentals to wheeling, like what line to take. its all the same strategy, just on a higher scale.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Beef... Why don't you go in on a KOH truck with someone?!? That would be too rad to see you do! And, imagine the experience!! Perhaps you could get a couple of sponsors through CF??

· Registered
12,596 Posts
hahahaha, easier said then done. my $30k rig going against $250k rigs... it would be fun, but my truck would be in need of some serious work after the race, if i even finish.
i don't think i could soak up enough sponsors to cover the cost of getting my truck competitive for that race.
someday it will be ready, but my pockets aren't deep enough at the moment.

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bummer.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting using your truck.. I think most of the big competition builds totally custom, right?

If I had the dough to put up, I'd love to do it! I'm not much of a crawler, but I think this is at a different level that I'd like a little more....

(BTW, I'm not saying I don't like or respect crawling. I just like fast a whole lot more!)

· Registered
634 Posts
Just to throw it out there, We were just in an off road park yesterday in PA called Rausch Creek. (will be starting the pic thread in a few minutes) There are trails that range from stock to full blown crawler. As we rolled through there, I saw more and more trails that I wanted to go down but couldn't because the lack of front end articulation (and extra lift) needed that couldn't be met by my IFS. I have the maxium 3" SL and would have been dragging my front end through a bunch of trails if not gotten stuck.

I will be doing an SAS when the funds become available.

· Registered
3,164 Posts
watch this vid of my truck. note how none of the tires leave the ground, which optimizes traction. this obstacle would be impassable for 98% of ifs offroad vehicles because of the articulation it requires.
YouTube - roastbeef on the rocks in azusa.

like everything, there are limits. and yes, i have pushed 'em!

i saw your tires leave the ground towards the end of the video :thefinger:

· Registered
12,596 Posts
i would love to run koh in my own truck. it would be so badass to drive out there, win one of the most difficult desert races in the world, and drive back home.

· Registered
634 Posts
Although the scenery here on the east coast isn't as spectacular as out west, there are plenty of trails that require SAS for our trucks. Here's a pic of a trail that would be impossible to navigate with IFS. This one is also downhill. Trails like these are what makes me want SAS. Makes all the other trails seem a little booring.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.